Selling old games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Peninha • Sep 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many of us already had a few consoles and we pile up old games, so what about selling them instead of having them gaining dust? There are loads of sites where we can do it for free and believe me, there is a lot of demand for games costing $5 or $10 for example. Have you tried to do this?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I never sell my old games. I'm a collector of sorts and only buy the games I really want, in physical format (no digital). I understand why selling them is a good thing - why waste space on something you don't use, and why waste money from a potential sale - but keeping them gives me a hobby and adds purpose to life. I'm guessing a time will come when I'll part with my prized games, but until then, on shelves they stay :eek:

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I did sold my old GameCube games and also my GameCube. But it was back when the Wii was still young so I got away with a high selling price. But I only sell the games that I don't really like, I tend to keep my favorite games intact and shelved for future use. Who knows, maybe 50 years from now some super nerd would want to pay me a million bucks for the best games of the year 2001.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm that really depends on how old it is. If it's 10+ years, then $5-10 should be a perfect amount of money. Anything new than that and you'll probably find a better deal in the bargain bin at your nearest GameStop. I don't see how you wouldn't be able to quickly get rid of those games no problem with a simple yard sale.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    No, I really don't like selling my old games, I still have my Snes to prove it. My reasoning for this is that I will always want to play games for a specific console again eventually. This is why I like to keep all of my old consoles and games. The only games I do sell are the ones that I didn't like or were just average, the ones I loved I keep just in case.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a lot of games, and the few in my possession I have no intention of selling. I'm a little sentimental so I'd probably keep them for a very long time. Lol. But selling old games perfectly makes sense. My friend has been doing this for years now and it helps him buy the new games he wants to play. He still has a cabinet full of old games, just waiting to get sold.

7. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    Personally, I tend to collect the games that are my favorites and sell the rest for $$$$. If you decide to sell them, I highly recommend ebay. You have to do a bit of work yourself, but its far better than getting ripped off at GameStop. People pay good money for games online, much more than the corporate devils at Gamespot! Get the most bucks for your games and don't let them go to waste.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sold an old copy of Final Fantasy VII in like new condition for $60 a few years ago. Sometimes, I'll buy older games at below market prices and then sell them to turn a profit. A lot of people don't know how valuable their old games are, and you can definitely earn some money on that ignorance. Otherwise, I'll sell from my own collection if I need extra money or want to free up some space. Selling old games is a pretty profitable endeavor if you ask me.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a bunch of games to play let alone play but if I were to sell my old games I'd probably pick the crappy ones and hope to God somebody would want to buy them. I tend to keep all of my games since I don't have that many and I also play them from time to time when I get kind of bored or if I want some nostalgia kick in me.

10. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never sold any of my old console games, but I have traded in games at Gamestop if I pick it up at another store on ridiculous price. For example, I picked up 2 copies of the newest Assassin's Creed for $10 at Target a while back and then traded one of them for more value at Gamestop. Seemed like a good way to subsidize game purchase. They are constantly ripping you off on trade in value, so it's nice to get one back.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I never sell my old games because the prices you get for them are absolutely stupidly low. I'd rather just give the system away, donate it, or keep them for nostalgia plays on occasion. I remember when I bought Diablo III when it first came out, I ended up trading in like 10 old games for only Half of the price of the game. After that, I just realized I have way more fun with the nostalgia of playing old games than selling them for literally pennies on the dollar.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just get digital content and they are mostly acquired during discount promo periods, so I don't usually feel the need to sell them once I'm done, nor could I really do it even if I wanted to because they are digital. I have a few physical copies but by the time I get done with them the case is usually very ragged and I don't think I could sell them for much anymore, so I just keep them.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I've had regrets about selling or trading in old games or consoles. I'll only do it if I truly need the money. I've only been able to get back some of the stuff I've given up over the years. Some of these things I'll never get back again.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had some of those older indie Japanese horror games and I didn't sell them for much. Now, since they are rare, they are worth almost $100 each. I feel so stupid now, but I was desperate at the time. Also, I traded in my old original Xbox at Gamestop. That was my first mistake. I eventually got another better original Xbox, but I still felt bittersweet, due to getting ripped off by Gamestop.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I don't have many old games, the old games I have are still in cassette format lol and there is no demand for those, but I have a friend who is selling is old games like french fries and he's making good money, so here's and idea to make some extra cash.