Selling used books on Amazon? (or elsewhere)

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Soliloquy • May 14, 2013.

1. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I was looking into selling some old books on Amazon, but was surprised at how high the fees had gotten; there's a per item transaction fee ($.99), a closing fee (varies, but around $1.35), and a percentage of the selling price (15% x $4.00 = $.60); added together that's $2.94. That can really cut into the amount you make. Is there a better option than Amazon though? They do seem to dominate the market.

2. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's kind of ridiculous! Even ebay doesn't charge that much including the Paypal fees. I would try and sell it on ebay, first.

Or you could give ebid.net a try. They're the next best option after ebay. Plus, there are no listing fees! If your item doesn't sell, it won't cost you anything, and they're fees are much cheaper than ebay. The only thing is that they don't have the traffic that ebay has. I've sold a few hundred dollars-worth of items on there.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you can try ioffer.com, craigslist.com and olx.com, and just like what the other member said, you can try good 'ol Ebay.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Amazon is the leading online retailer of just about anything right now. If you would use Amazon as a means of selling your books, then you could probably easily get some customers. However, I haven't tried to use Amazon myself. I recently tried to sell books at a yard sale and I generated some profit. No fees, just pure offline selling.

5. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    it mat be of its strong grip over the market int the online trading segment and hiked charge it's demanding is a clear result of the same domination that has form its base more wide and lengthy .. besides it there are other sites are of sure help for your cause and you must give them a try as well .. and among them eBay is the most favorable one..

6. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Amazon seems to be interesting always they are very good in offering wonderful offers than other online stores.

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Amazon seems to be the only place I will most likely to sell my used books because it pays sellers reasonable prices. Another option to sell my used books would be at one of my local bookstore, which pays sellers good prices for the books in which they sell. I would rather sell my books at the local bookstore because it's more convenient and easier for me to just buy my books instead of shipping them.

8. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like selling my books on ebay. I haven't tried selling on amazon, but I am willing to look into it to see if it is better. I am use to ebay and I tend to do the usual, but I am willing to give amazon a try.

9. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to sell my textbooks on amazon. I had a good system going until, so larger company started selling textbooks for a penny. The ironic thing about that is I can never find those penny books when i need them.

10. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I've never sold used books on Amazon but that does seem like very hefty fees.
    Maybe you could contact them to see if there is a different process for low values (You are selling for $4.00 if I am understanding)