Semi public vehicles.

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    It is becoming more common in our city for people to forgo vehicle ownership and join a company that has a fleet of vehicles available for its members. We have several companies doing this with different business models, but it seems like a great option if you live in the city and don't need to drive all that often. One fleet, in particular, uses the smart car as their vehicle and is able to take advantage of special parking spaces designed for these small cars. Not having to worry about gas or maintenance is a very nice thing for those who use these services.

Have you ever considered joining one of these car groups? If you are a member, what are the good and bad aspects?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen those vehicles all over the city and wondered if it was really worth it. The daily cost seems to be a little on the high side to me as opposed to just renting from Budget. I have my own insurance maybe that is why it is less expensive for me to rent from Budget than the fleet guys.

3. Ruffled

RuffledNew Member

Threads:
    I know they do this with bicycles, but I didn't know they did it with cars. This is news to me. I could that the daily cost would be quite high though if you don't have to buy your own gas. It sounds like people would do it for the status of saying they did, like tourists for example. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If I lived in a big city and needed transportation I would use the bus system.

4. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I will be staying back in Boston soon, and so while this may be available, I don't think it will be that useful. In the city you have subways, buses, bike shares, and more that are cheaper and less of a hassle. Honestly, I am terrified of driving in cities anyways, so even if the price were reasonable, I probably wouldn't get a membership. While I may not like waiting for Subways, they are certainly cheaper than driving and are actually pretty okay in Boston, especially when compared to some other cities. I do think that these types of car shares would be more useful in the suburbs, where cars are actually more necessary. I don't want to walk 2 miles to get something for lunch then walk back when I could drive. But, of course, the logistics wouldn't work out. Oh well.