Send Free Text Messages Online?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Denis Hard • Jun 18, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Truth be told, I like texting.

With phone calls you never know when it is the "right" time to call someone. That's why I'd rather send them a text message and have them call me when it's "a good time for them to talk."

I've seen a few sites which offer Free Text Messages services. From them sites, you can send a text to anyone, anywhere at any time [so they claim]. I tried sending myself a text message but never got the it [the text message].

Do these "Free Text Online" services actually work? Has anyone here ever used them?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Denis, there is actually a way you can text online for free directly from your email account. You will need the person's cell phone number and provider. I did this recently with a potential buyer on the Facebook groups, because she (assuming it actually was a she) insisted on texting. I figured from the phone number it was Sprint, since it was similar enough to the number I had when I used Sprint, but I double checked just to make sure, and then I sent her a text from my gmail account, and we conversed there, rather than on the phone.

Here's a site that gives information on how to do it, and this is the site I used, so I know it's accurate and works.

PS, I used a throw away email account, since I don't know the person, and didn't want to use my real email address.

3. regicide3342

regicide3342New Member

Threads:
    Dont think so. Something like skype is good for communicating but sending phone-like text messages.. dont think so. You should just stick to the traditional ways of communicating.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    You can send free sms messages from your email!
    Here is how to do it in Canada

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use

and

for sending messages locally. They get sent in real time too. Some websites take too long to process the message, it gets received the next day or never at all!

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve done it once or twice, using a similar method to @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. But it’s not something I would do regularly. Those were special circumstances, and it was a bit of a hassle. I would opt for an app like Telegram instead.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are dozens upon dozens of options for sending text messages. Many email clients like Gmail and Yahoo! Mail allow you to send text messages to a phone number. The same applies to a variety of instant messaging services for Web and mobile. Then you can use Google Voice to accomplish this task, and then you've got services that send text messages on an as-needed basis. The best options send texts to all devices, and the worst ones cannot send texts to certain service providers.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've used a few services that offer it over the years but it's never as convenient as just sending a text using your phone because they always have some limitations such as the recipient not being able to reply to the same number or will have to pay more than the average fee to do so. These days there are fortunately other alternatives but technically aren't text messages but are chat messages on phone apps, some of which fortunately now offer their software on your computer as well.

9. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well I've used them a couple of times but to be honest, they're really unreliable. I've had the same problem when I tried to use online texting; the recipient never received my message. That was the main issue as I clearly had wifi access, the message just somehow never got through. Though it if it does work then that's great but I feel that these services can be quite unreliable in emergency situations.

10. BigSnoop

BigSnoopNew Member

Threads:
    I have never used any of these sites, but my guess would be that they do not work properly. I would not trust those free texting services anyway, I think it is just another way for the website to get some type of information that does not pertain to what they actually want.Just my opinion

11. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I have just the right thing for you! Try this out: ofsms.in. Messages are delivered very promptly, within 2-3 minutes of sending them from their servers. I've tried on a lot of friends, and it works every time as expected. Great stuff! Really, the Internet is a miracle nowadays.

12. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    You've just taken the words out of my mouth! I was about to suggest this site as well. Though haven't you lately noticed that it's quite slow now compared to the precedent years? I think so, because in 2011, messages would be delivered in a matter of seconds, now the biggest span I've had is 1 hour! Not good, but again I can't complain much since it's a completely free service. :)