Sewing socks

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Peninha • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bet that when you read the expression sewing socks you recall your grandmother right? :) I never sew a sock in my life, usually when I have a hole in it, I just throw it away, but this doesn't seem very economical. Do you act like me or do you sew socks?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends entirely on how big the hole is. In most cases if you can sew socks the moment you it's torn somewhere [or if there's a hole, if you please] you wouldn't have to spend much time sewing a larger hole later. Sure it is economic because you won't need to replace socks frequently.

That said, I've never had to repair/sew my socks. I hardly ever wear them because I hate wearing socks. Just one pair can look new for years.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that is unusual Denis, you never wear socks? Do you live in a warm climate or how do you manage to do that?

I am really poor at sewing, that is why I don't do it, I imagine that in my hands a small hole could turn into something strange, so whenever I see one I just throw the socks away, I don't waste my time with them.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am terrible, I just leave the holes in my socks until they get really big and my toes poke out. I don't know why I can't be bothered fixing them. Perhaps because new ones only cost $2? I guess it's the fact that they feel comfortable after I have worn them for a few months, and even the holes make me feel cozy. I actually enjoy walking around my home in two different coloured socks with holes in them. There is something liberating in that. :)

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a hot climate and don't wear socks. My daughter wear socks to school and I do sometimes sew them up if the hole is small. If the socks are falling apart, I just toss them out.
    I do like to make things last, but if something is too damaged, it's not worth taking the time to fix.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I have lucked out or what but I have some old socks, like 3+ years, and I think I have only ever seen a hole in one or two of them. I don't wear socks often so perhaps this contributes to it, but my socks hold up pretty well. With this being said I tend to just toss socks if they have a hole in them because I have plenty and I don't think I would do a very good job sewing up a hole.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the hole is small then I would sew it, but if it gets a hole again then I won't sew it anymore and I will wear it until it looks worn out, lol. But in reality, I never really had a sock with a hole, because I had so many that alternating them lessens the wear and tear of each pair of socks. But I never really wore socks outside of school, so that's another factor.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My socks rarely get holes because I don't wear socks daily. I only wear socks when using sneakers which is not often, too. My socks would loosen and get worn out but still won't have holes. By that time, buying a new pair of sock would be a better option.
    I still remember my mom sewing socks to close holes when we were still kids. I guess the stretchable material that socks were made back then were more durable than today to make it worth repairing.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really Athena? Mine get holes all the time, maybe because I receive old socks from my dad lol, he's too demanding and he doesn't want certain perfectly good socks, so I get them 2nd hand, who cares, money in my pocket. :)

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never done this in my whole life, and I never see myself doing this anytime in my lifetime. I would rather leave it with a whole, as it is with a whole and have it just entirely replaced later on when I've got enough time to buy socks, or if I don't have money at the moment, when I've got money. Besides a small whole in the socks doesn't make it at all uncomfortable to use. It's still bearable. Another is no one else is going to see it.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, that is true, we can use socks with small holes, considering it's not on the toes because I hate to feel my toes getting out of the sock the whole day and being unable to do anything about it. I do feel that it's hard to sew socks though, it's never a perfect job.