Shampoo to prevent dandruff? Aside from H&S.

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mccanono • Sep 30, 2013.

1. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Hi everyone!

I've been using head and shoulders for quite a while now but it seems like it is not that effective for me because I would still have these small flakes of dandruff and it is very irritating.

My skin is dry (even my eyebrows have dandruff sometimes!).

Would you recommend a different shampoo brand or would it be better if I take supplements? (Vitamin E perhaps?)

Please advise. :)

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shampoo is whatcauses the dandruff so my advice qould be to stop using shampoo and let your hair regain its natural cycle. Your body is designed to regulate itself, you don't need to smother your head in harsh chemicals which strip the hair of its natural hair in order to keep your hair clean.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. You need to treat the cause, not keep causing it. Head & Shoulders is one of the worst things you can use by the way. Or anyone for that matter, it's an all around bad product. Your scalp issues will never be solved with a shampoo or other treatment.. take away the chemicals and if it doesn't go away after a while, start trying to fix it from the inside.

4. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    I used Head and Shoulders for years and surprisingly after I switch to RED KEN I was fine with my dandruff. I haven't been using Head and Shoulder since. H&S has very strong chemicals and the above posters were right. It can cause you to have dandruff more than 'curing it'.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shampoo is the cause of dandruff, that is the reason they invented moisturiser for your hair. The toxic shampoo strips the hair of its natural oils, drying out the scalp and leaving it flaky. The moisturiser then compensates for the dryness causes by shampoo. Your hair will also produce excess grease in response to the dryness, it's not a natural or healthy cycle for your hair.

6. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    If Head and Shoulders is not working for you try Nuetrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2 in 1 Dandruff shampoo plus conditioner. It costs a bit more than Head and Shoulders at $6.99 for a 250 ml bottle. If you don't trust my insight you can google it's reviews around the web. It gets high marks from forums and beauty sites.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use one from Garnier that was great. It was one with a grey bottle, and it almost looked like a scrub, cause it had little beads on it. I think that was to scrub the dandruff away or something. But it was better than Head&Shoulders, and quite affordable!

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm surprised to see so many others echoing my thought- the shampoo IS the problem. Letting your body get back to its natural state will let it regulate as its supposed to.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    This is my rec. as well. There's this whole "no-poo" (no shampoo) craze hitting the mommy world right now, where women are letting their hair "regulate itself" without the use of shampoo. You've been recommended to try that here.

Let me tell you what.

Your body may or may not regulate itself. But your head will be a greasy stinking mess, and then will get super dry. I've seen the "no-poo" look on women who have been doing it, some, for over a year. Their hair is gross. Sorry. It just is.

My husband uses Nuetrogena T-Gel or T-Sal about once a week, then uses this new product called "Clear Scalp and Hair Therapy" (found in drug stores about $6 a bottle) in between, and has been completely happy with the results. He has super sensitive skin and has never been able to use soap, but if he goes without shampooing his (very short) hair, his head flakes and itches like no other.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use Nizoral, and it helped lessen my dandruff until I noticed that it's gone already. You might want to try out that brand.

11. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    I mainly used Head & Shoulders growing up but it stopped doing the trick for me, I don't know if they change the formula or my scalp changed. I switched to Clear anti-dandruff shampoo, which has worked really well so far. I once tried Ginger Shampoo from Body Shop, it works too but its a little too expensive for my shampoo budget.