Share Your Ideas For Holiday Leftovers

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Nov 30, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, we all know that using up leftovers is a great way to save money when it comes to the grocery budget. Waste not, want not, right? There are only so many ways to use holiday leftovers though, so I'd love to hear all of your ideas. We had a second turkey dinner yesterday, so I'm trying to find some creative ideas to try out. Please share your great ideas for holiday leftovers.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think I am going to make a turkey soup, and also a turkey pot pie of sorts. I will probably freeze some of the turkey as it is likely getting toward the end of its life expectancy in the refrigerator, I saw a turkey fettucini skillet that looked quite good, that might be a possiblity as well.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea for a post! I was just looking for recipes this past weekend to use up some of our leftover ham and turkey we cooked over the holiday weekend. First, I used the turkey carcass to make turkey stock for other future recipes. For the leftover turkey, I made Turkey Noodle Soup in the slow cooker. I simply added the cut up turkey, diced celery, carrots, and onion, minced garlic, cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, and turkey stock to the slow cooker and cooked on low all day. I added cooked noodles before serving. For the rest of the leftover turkey, I made Turkey pot pie filling (diced turkey, vegetables, cream of celery soup, and cream of chicken soup) and froze it in a gallon size freezer bag to be thawed and cooked later.

For leftover ham, I made ham and cheese crescents. I used leftover diced ham, shredded cheddar cheese, and refrigerated crescent rolls. I also used leftover ham in ham and cheese omelettes. I still have some leftover ham to use up. I am thinking about dicing it and using it as homemade pizza topping. For the leftover hambone, I plan to make ham and bean soup in the slow cooker. Another great soup for leftover ham is cheesy ham and potato soup in the slow cooker.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I have similar suggestions for turkey that's left over as Ke and Prose like a soup with your shredded turkey meat. Add vegetables you like in the soup, season to taste, but add a beef broth and thicken it with cornstarch to taste. With bread or rice it's great to warm up when it's winter time outside with this soup. You could make a turkey stew too. Just add your favorite veggies for cooking, with a tomato sauce that you like for this stew. All these will keep you nice and warm. I love stews and soups during colder climate time. Happier Holidays!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We did not have any leftover turkey, My daughter grilled the turkey on the grill which gave the turkey a nice smokey taste. The turkey was so good and it was not very large. By the time dinner was over and a few take home plates were made, there was just a little left over.

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have made turkey sandwiches in the past. I also have made turkey salad. Basically whatever you do with chicken, I just substitute with turkey. With leftover sweet potatoes you could make sweet potato pie. If the sweet potato is already cooked, try it pureed and adding it to a dish. I love stuffing by itself so I don't know what to do with it as a left over other than to eat it as is.

#6Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015