Sharing food at the office

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • May 2, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I work we usually take cookies, fruit, cakes or sometimes even more complex foods that we share with each other. I think this is a good habit that prevent us to buy stuff there and even so we have diversity and we socialize. Do you guys do something like this too?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this in the past. Where I live, there are many different cultures and this was how I learned about lumpia, which is an egg roll taken to the next level and is sooo good.

At my last job, I didn't care for the majority of my co-workers but every so often, I would bring food in. It created a nice diversion from the icy cold environment.

3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we also do this, although sometimes I hate it when someone does not contribute equally. There are a few people who only like to take but won't care to contribute. But yeah, I agree with you that it's a good way to try different things at one time and it also builds camaraderie within the office.

We even sometimes have a cooking exhibition where we would cook our favorite dish or the dish that we cook best and we show it off the next day in the office for everyone to try. And we do some sort of a contest who made the best dish. I think this is really fun.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    While I would love to work in an office where everyone else loved to cook and we all would regularly bring food in for each other - in most places I've worked that was rarely the case. At only one job in particular did we do occasional pot luck meals. I had a lot of fun with them though, but we didn't do them often enough.

I think you need to be considerate of the fact that some people simply may not know how to cook, and consequently may feel intimidated by bringing something they cooked in to share with others. It may not be that they are necessarily just freeloaders. Plus you never know if someone might be in a pinch financially for whatever reason, such as unexpected medical bills, or some other emergency that may have cost them a lot - that they really can't afford to be buying stuff to cook for people at the office.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this with my co-workers in the past but not all the time. It was really fun because everybody liked to taste each other's food and cooking style. I don't always participate though because I usually love having time alone at lunch time just so I can properly relax before continuing my work.

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I work from home, so I don't have this chance. I absolutely do think it's nice for everyone to share things that they've cooked or baked or even picked up at the store. It's a fun way to socialize and mingle, and everyone gets to enjoy something without having to pay for expensive snacks.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I was not referring to lunch, but the snacks between meals, I don't know if I would trust my co-workers to prepare my lunch lol, that's something different. As for the snacks yes, it's a great way to know our colleague better.

8. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Out department at work used to do a shared breakfast type deal on Friday mornings. As several of us were at work early getting things done anyhow it made sense as the coffee pot was on all morning anyhow. We would bring in muffins or fruit and some people would bake breakfast type materials. This was a good social activity as well as an alternative to the quick breakfast at home. It also was a good way to ensure people didn't arrive late to work as they wouldn't be able to partake in the food.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ahah, good idea really and effective too. My colleagues leave each morning for at least 30 minutes to have breakfast lol, I think that's an abuse. On the good side, just today a colleague took a lot of home-made cakes, free and delicious! :)

10. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I think it sounds nice that you guys did a breakfast together. I definitely think that would work. Everyone could bring muffins, fruit, juice, etc. It wouldn't cost much but would be very satisfying.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think sharing food at the office can save you all a lot of money if many of the people you work with also bring their food. I've known some people who rely entirely on the good will of others so in such a situation if some office worker expects to get free food from his fellow workers, it wouldn't help you much because you'd end up taking a little bit more [for that extra mouth].

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with sharing food at the work place. I think it is a common practice these days in most organizations. Either way, we have a designated place where you can eat your food but not the office. We deal with electronics so they can be quite dangerous around food spillage.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, no way we eat in the office, we have several cafeterias and two rooms for the employees to have lunch. These rooms have microwave, TV and all we need to have a meal and relax for a while before going back to work.