Shaving foam vs shaving gel

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Sep 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For reasons I really can't remember I was using shaving gel in my face when shaving. One day I bought shaving foam by accident and I liked it lol, so I started using it. How's it with you, what do you prefer? Any idea what's more cost efficient? I really can't tell.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I shave what needs to be shaved, I only use soap. But of course, I shave parts of the body that are not immediately visible to the human eye, so I don't know if there is a difference with using a shaving cream and a shaving gel.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that shaving is shaving, I mean, you cut the hair and that's it. What I was asking was in the sense of what might last longer and how does the skin react to both products. As for my skin, to be honest I don't feel a difference and the price duration relation of both also seems pretty equivalent.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the foam. I liked it. Now I just use soap to save some on my monthly hygiene shopping. A good soap works just as well, I've found. I've never used a gel but I imagine that the products both have similar ingredients. I only shave my legs though. I'm sure the skin on your face is much more sensitive.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can make your own shaving lotion out of cheap ingredients for pennies on the dollar. Supposedly, it works well. I pinned this on Pinterest and I'm buying the stuff to make it today.
    2d5b0740ff6f8d2aeadd7a22d64e50fc.

Attached Files:

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I actually no longer use either and just shave my legs with bar soap. I don't have any cuts or nicks and as long as I moisturize after my legs don't get dry. When I did use products specifically for shaving I preferred a shave gel because I felt like the lather was very moisturizing. In terms of being cost effective I think it's hard to say, the number one thing I would do to save money is start using a little bit of the product and then build from there because it's easier to add more than take some away.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use shaving foam instead of shaving gel. I like to shave with lots of foam on my skin. I have never used gel and do not know what kind of lather will it produce on any situation. I have always been an avid user of foam or in some situations I have used soap also.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I am a woman. I do shave my legs though. I use shaving foam because I can see it better than gels. It also prevents shaving bumps on my legs better than the gel.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just use water because I don't let my hair grow out that much and also I am not that hairy anyway, but whenever I do need it a bit of help, I usually go for shaving foam because it's much more common and much easier to get here. I don't think I've even seen shaving gel, or I might just have never notice. I'll be looking t for it at the stores from now on though and hopefully I can give it a try to see for myself which one I would prefer.

10. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I am a guy and when I shave my face I usually use shaving gel which turns to a foamy consistency anyway, and its just the best thing to use for your face I think. I shave manually as in not with an electric shaver because the one I have is screwed up. Anyway for shaving other parts of my body I usually do it in the shower and just use the soap and water combination and nothing else usually.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer shaving gel simply because whenever I use shaping foam, I always end up using way too much and wasting a lot of it. As far as which one is more effective, I couldn't really say as I've never noticed a different for me personally. But it probably depends how sensitive your face/legs are and one would likely be a little better than the other for that person.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now, this is something interesting that I would never think of, thanks for sharing, but if we think of it the shaving foam or gel it's not so expensive (2 or 3€ I think) and it usually lasts me for 3 months or more, so I really would not have all the work just because of it.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer shaving gel, I think one of the misconceptions people have is that it stays as a gel.
    Once you rub it on your face it turns in a nice foam, not quite as "foamy" as shaving foam, it's a firmer foam, very easy to shave through but let's you know very clearly where you're already shaved.
    Give it a try.

14. malik2630

malik2630New Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use shaving gel instead of shaving foam. I usually use shaving gel which turns to a foamy consistency anyway, and its just the best thing to use for your face

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, I've used shaving gel for a couple of years and I was happy with it, but like I said one time I bought the foam by mistake and I just sticked with it, I mean, it's more or less the same price and I don't need to rub the gel to make the foam, so I save some time.

16. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    There is such a thing as a shaving gel, that stays as a gel when applied... Just letting you know.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never heard about that Colebra, a shaving gel that doesn't turn into foam? That could be a plus if the prices and duration are equivalent because it would mean that we can actually see the hairs while we are cutting them, it would be a nice change. :)

18. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Never heard of it either Colebra, are you sure you just aren't rubbing it like you're supposed to? :)
    It's been a while for me though since I've been growing a beard for a few months now so maybe that's something recent?

19. aimeep80

aimeep80New Member

Threads:
    I like shaving gel because to me it seems like it works a lot better and it makes my legs so much smoother.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha, for the legs that is another matter, to be honest I never shaved my legs because I am a guy, but I was expecting that women wax instead of shaving? If you're shaving the legs don't the hairs grow stronger?