Shepherd's Pie *Another Cheap Yet Filling Meal*

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ainjell • May 19, 2012.

1. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    I've met quite a few people who didn't know what shepherd's pie is. So, I thought I'd give a small tutorial on what it is and how to prepare it.

Essentially, shepherd's pie (originally known as cottage pie) is a meat pie with a mashed potato crust. For a small history on this affordable Irish dish, click this link:

OK, here's what you'll need:

1. Ground beef, turkey or chicken (turkey and chicken make for a healthier meal with less calories) and your choice of onions, garlic, peppers, chives, butter or whatever you like to season your meat with
    2. Mashed potatoes
    3. Cheese (optional)
    4. Mixed vegetables (or veggies of your choice) [optional]
    5. A rectangular baking pan (glass or metal - your choice)

Preparation:
    1. Season and brown your ground meat of choice in a skillet. There is no special way to do it. Just do your thing.
    2. Prepare your mashed potatoes the way you like. You can do it from scratch with potatoes or from a box (quick mashed potatoes)
    3. Warm your veggies of choice in a sauce pan (add butter and salt to taste if you like)
    4. Pour your ground meat into the pan (no need to grease the pan). Ensure that the meat covers the entire bottom of the pan and pour veggies on top.
    5. Spread your mashed potatoes over the meat & veggies in the pan. Some people prefer to add a dressing or sauce/salsa (like Ranch dressing or salsa) before adding the potatoes. I prefer not to. Some people also like to mix the meat and veggies together rather than layering them. Do what you like.
    6. Layer your cheese of choice over the top as thick or as thin as you like. I make mine without the cheese.
    7. Preheat your oven to 400° and bake until the cheese is brown to your liking. You don't want to cook it because everything is already cooked. This is just to brown the cheese.
    8. Allow it to cool and cut it in squares as big or as small as you like (kind of like a cake). Serve with a salad or side of your choice.

This is how I make mine. Many people make it many different ways and if you'd like to use a different method you can Google the recipe. Everyone adds their own twist to it, though. I used to love when my mom made this when I was a child and my ex's children loved it when I cooked it for them as well. If you have additional questions feel free to message me. Happy Cooking! :D

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I love shepard's pie! Well, I am part Irish so that could be why. ;)
    I usually just make it with whatever I have got on hand. It is a great way to use up leftovers, too. Thanks for posting this, it will be really helpful to anyone that has never made it before.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like an awesome recipe, and I'm definitely adding it to my repertoire. I imagine, though, that one could use mashed sweet potato instead of mashed potato?