Shoe deodorizers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by PhilA • Aug 15, 2014.

1. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    Ok this is a bit of a random one, and no the most pleasant of topic. I am not saying my family have smelly insides of their shoes but I do love a good smelling shoe. I tried two different types of shoe deodorizers and both made no real difference, in fact the 'sneaker balls' brand left a bad smell that was quite over powering.

Can anyone here recommend a good product? Thanks

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes use baking soda after taking my shoes off. If the odor is really powerful, I may use a body powder like Shower to Shower. Just a couple of shakes of either and the odor's history.

3. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    OK, thanks for the tip. I love these kind of 'homemade' tips utilizing household stuff. I will try it later, it's amazing how many uses baking soda has actually. There are whole books on the dozens of uses of baking soda, from cleaning, to deodorizing.

4. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Anti-fungal foot spray is the best remedy. Those shoes stick not just because of bacterial but because of fungus.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used one of those.
    But I did once use a insole that did a really nice job of reducing the sweating. Should take a look at those.
    They were really cheap, and lasted a bunch of time.

Take care bro!

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could use baking soda or (clean) cat litter, if you've got either lying around. I'd just let either powder sit in your shoes for a few minutes once per week and then pour it out. It'll freshen up your shoes and the good smell should last for a few days at the least. There are some deodorizers that work, but they're on the more expensive side, so I wouldn't recommend them.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My brother has this problem. He has athletic feet and when he pulls his shoes off it sends a smell though out my house. I have tried almost everything to get the smell out of his shoes and nothing worked, even baking soda. I kept searching and I decided to try out Odor-X by Dr. Scholl's and it worked miracles. They have the spay and the powder, which ever one you prefer. I personally used the powder because I thought that the spay would ware off. I make my bother put the Oder-X in his shoes every morning and I have not smelled his feet since. They also have different other products for Oder-X including insoles for your shoes.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We put our shoes in the washer all the time. I know this doesn't work to well with leather though (they will shrink). But for most other shoes, you just air dry them and they are fine. I've been looking for a way to try and make these new charcoal bamboo deodorizers I have found online:

When I saw this, it did not surprise me because we use charcoal in our water purifier. Its just all around a good cleaning agent. But to put a lump of charcoal in your shoes wouldn't mean your feet would come out 'clean'! So, the packaging of the deodorizer must be key.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Careful with putting your shoes in the washer (and dryer). My parents do this, and I'm convinced it's damaged their machines on more than one occasion. In particular, the dryer. The shoes bang around so hard in there, they probably threw the whole thing out of line. They've had the repair guy several times come out to fix it, though they neglect to tell him that they are tumbling shoes in there too.

You should also start by getting your feet checked for any fungal or other infections, and nip the smell in the bud. You may also want to replace your socks while you are taking care of this. Personally I would never pour the baking soda right into the shoe, but instead put it in some sort of breathable sachet, and place that in each shoe, so it kind of acts like the refrigerator equivalent.

Spraying your shoes with air fresheners will ultimately start leaving behind residues, and may irritate your skin.

10. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    My father has odor issues with his shoes and sneakers. I can barely stand to stay in the same room with him when the smell is at its worst. He uses odor eaters in his shoes. If he's out, he uses baby powder, which gets rid of the odor. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long, but the beauty of it is he can put it back in his shoes or sneakers when it wears off.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Believe it or not but putting dryer sheets in your shoes over night helps with odor. The dryer sheet smell stays for awhile if you're like my family and get the most smelly ones out on the shelf! I've also used the Gold Bond powder. It works great, to.