Shopping Apps

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Leah • Apr 4, 2016.

1. Leah

LeahNew Member

Threads:
    It seems like nearly everything has an app these days. You name it, there's an app for that.
    So what are your favourite apps to shop with?
    Do you find yourself being too trustworthy and giving your bank details to retailers you've never shopped with or heard of before or are you more careful and only use sites/apps that accept Paypal?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does sometimes bother me to be giving my financial information to so many apps and places I don't know about. However, most of the apps I use are pretty well known, and they always have security precautions on them. I just hope that everything is on the Up and Up. I haven't heard of people being scammed by these shopping apps so I guess they are OK.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    The shopping apps that I use either pay via Paypal or with gift cards. My favorite shopping apps are Ibotta, Checkout 51, Saving Star, Find & Save, and receipt hog. The other ones I use are Target Cartwheel and the Kroger app. I do not use ones that require me to give out my bank info as I do not trust every app. These ones I have been paid with so I know that they are legit.

4. kdb890

kdb890New Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of online shopping, but I hardly ever use apps to do that shopping. I have the Amazon shopping app on my Kindle Fire but I've never even used that. I just find that shopping apps are... I don't know, unneeded and take up too much space. Why do I need a shopping app when I can use the actual website? I did, however; find a nice app the other day called Cute, where you can buy really cheap nail and beauty stuff. Has anyone ever used it before?

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever give away my bank details to any retailers. No. I never do. Save for Amazon, I'll buy from other sites only if they accept Paypal. It insulates me against fraudulent charges and should I not like something I buy I could at any time dispute the transaction and have the retailer refund my money.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy from ebay frequently but I honestly like using the site a lot more than their official app for some reason. It might just be that I have grown more used to the layout having shopped from a laptop a lot more, but to me the app just feels a bit awkward and I don't feel like I'm seeing the results I want from searches as much as I do from the site. Of course it's probably the same or at least very close and it's probably just my imagination and bias causing me to feel this way but that's why even when I shop from a phone or tablet I usually just do it in the browser instead of using the dedicated app.

7. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I love using Receipt Hog. I used to use Ibotta, I loved it in the beginning, but I started having too many problems with the app just not functioning right. I also use Paypal for everything online. If I can't use Paypal, then I don't use that site.

8. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    I am personally using Amazon, eBay and Wish apps to do selective shopping online. Amazon and eBay in case I want something of premium quality and Wish in case I want to get something cheap even though it takes a month to arrive.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'll use almost any app for a store where I shop regularly, if it means saving money or saving time. Target and CVS are currently two of my most-used shopping apps.

But to your second question: I never give my direct banking information to ANYONE. Even if the site is legit, it has been proven that nothing on the Internet is impenetrable. I'll use PayPal when I have funds available, but this is one of the reasons I fully support credit cards. They come with built in protection for fraud and stolen identity. They have their own insurance. So to me, it is actually safest to use credit cards. One thing I will not do, however, is keep my credit card info saved on websites. I'd rather re-type it every time than go through the hassle of dealing with having my info stolen.

10. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    This discussion reminds me, I want to download receipt Hog. I think I am going to do that before I go to bed tonight! I have heard a lot of good htings about it, and if it will save me some money I am all for it! It can be a good thing for me to do. I want to download gigwalk too, or Field Agent.

11. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    I use the Amazon and eBay apps because they make my life easier. I do prefer using the actual websites through a desktop, but if I'm commuting or just looking something up while out and about, I will use the apps.

I don't really use any other apps. I was curious about Wish because they kept spamming my Pandora stations with their ads for months, but I looked up reviews and apparently Wish merchandise is mainly of poor quality, so I didn't even bother downloading it.

If there are other convenient shopping apps, I'd be all for it! I'm all about one-stop-online-shop!

12. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    I really liked the app retale while I ad it that showed sales flyers from all stores in the area. However, the problem with it, was that shortly after I installed it, I started having problems with my phone. I am not sure if there was a virus on it, or if it was something un related to the app, but I uninstalled it. I have continued to have periodic problems with the phone, and may need to clena my cache, but retale was the last app I downloaded before I started having issues.

13. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Usually,when I have to pay via card, I will avoid shopping on that store. I us paypal to shop online. When there is no paypal I will not shop on that site. If will buy things from such sites with card only when the item badly. Most of my shopping is done on ebay. I have ebay and paypal app on my hand held device.

14. barginrocks

barginrocksMember

Threads:
    You guys can download JD, Tmall and Taobao app on Googleplay or apple store, they are all Chinese online shopping apps that offer Wechat and Alipay method which far more better than paypal.

15. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Ibotta and shop kick. However, I find a lot of my purchases aren't on Ibotta. They have a lot of processed goods under grocery compared to fresh produce and meat. I also noticed they raised the payout to $20. This app is best around the holidays when they have all sorts of blacks okay deals.

16. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I use only a select few apps when it comes to online shopping. I am very leary when it comes to that. Anyone can make a "shopping" app, heck, I could have one made if I wanted, then take off with peoples money! (YES, it happens!) I do shop from the amazon or ebay app, and sometimes Mercari.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like to use the shopping apps. There are often glitches, and when it comes to spending money, I don't want any mishaps taking place. That is why I only order things from my laptop or desktop. Never my smartphone, as I have had glitches take place in the past, which resulted in wasting money.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    For personal reasons I don't go with shopping apps and I'm careful the sites I use online for shopping. I don't think I can trust those apps enough to let out bank details. Digressing, this is one reason I prefer payment through PayPal.

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Lazada app for online shopping. I can say it's more convenient to browse products with their app, well basically it's also pretty cool to browse from their website but it's handy when it's on your phone. I've also tried Ebay and it's quite good as well although there are some glitches sometime.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank, I have yet to understand why everyone is trying to download their app and do all transactions through their apps only. What I feel is that Apps are their licence to spam us officially. I have started deleting apps which send too many "UPDATES".