Shopping At Trader Joe's

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Rosyrain • Aug 31, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Is there a Trader Joes where you live, and do you love to shop there? It has to be one of my favorite grocery stores because they have a lot of interesting foods and the prices are very reasonable.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are multiple Trader Joe's where I live. I've been in them multiple times. I have to say though I've never been very impressed. Found the whole place kind of pretentious. Like a cheaper version of Whole Foods. Not a fan. Nothing against folks who like the place. Just not my cup of tea.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop there whenever I can as the quality of the food is good for the price. I like the selection they have, healthy choices, gluten free and also a good wine selection at very good prices. I do like the drinks section where they have some interesting combinations which are their own brand.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately there are no Trader Joe's where I live, however where I lived before there was one relatively close and I loved going there. I would always go with my coworker and we loved shopping together! I specially like Trader Joe's for organic food, frozen foods and their wine selection.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there are several near my home and I could not imagine a world without them. I live for the super-eclectic edibles and quirky vibe I get with every visit. I also appreciate that their brand of food contains no additives or chemicals.

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely love my local Trader Joe's. It's so much easier for me to go there and be done with grocery shopping compared to if I was to go to Safeway (but Safeway is still my 1st trip, Trader Joe's is just a supplement). They have a ton of selections for a surprisingly low price, and a lot of their food is really delicious. Plus everyone who works there are really nice and friendly, which is always a plus!

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I moved near one a few years ago and have been going to it ever since. It can get pretty packed in there though, so I try to only go during off hours when there aren't too many people in there, since the stores are rather small. I mainly go there for their frozen and pantry items, such as pastas and sauces, and spices. They have a great selection of frozen items that you wouldn't normally see in most other grocery stores - I'm especially fond of their frozen vegetable blends, and their Chinese and Mexican prepared frozen food items.

If you're a wine drinker, they have great deals on cases of wines - especially their "two buck chuck" wine which is a fantastic table wine. The price varies by location though, it's $3 here in Ohio, but still, you can get a case for like $30.

I would, however, caution against their fresh produce, which tends to go bad right away, and also their fresh meats, which I've had bad experiences with in the past.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There isn’t one near me, but I enjoyed it when I was in California, and my family had friends who would send us Trader Joe’s care packages every Christmas. To be honest though, it might be less of a special treat if I lived near one. We have some good, independently owned natural food stores here and I’m quite happy with those.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is at least one in Houston, but none near where I live. We could use some competition down here, so hopefully they will open a store in the area. I've heard good things about it, and my Mom shops there whenever she can. There isn't one that close to her, but she does go when she's in the vicinity of one, because they seem to have pretty good prices and a great selection.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been to Trader Joes many times. There is not one too close to me now, which is a shame, but I will still go to one if I am in the area where they are located. I think it is a funky elcectic little store. Not everything is a great buy but some things are, and they do have their own unique foods and brands. Ohiotom is right though it is frequently crowded and hard to find a parking place there as it is a popular store.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's does a great job of offering staple foods at incredibly low prices. If you want something a little more gourmet, though, then you're going to find that the prices quickly take a ride into the sky. For a lot of items, the company can beat even stores like Walmart, but there are plenty of items that are still quite expensive by normal standards. If you stick to what you need and what's affordable, then you'll have no problem lowering your grocery bill there.

12. Kathryn M.

Kathryn M.New Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love Trader Joe's. It's my favorite grocery store to shop besides Target grocery store. They have a really good variety of all-natural and organic foods at prices you don't mind paying. I like how they have off the wall products such as the Cookie Butter everyone loves. Very unique products that are healthy without price gouging. I remember when they were much smaller and didn't have much produce. Now they are a full grown store that is continuing to grow very nicely and wisely.

13. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of Trader Joe's. They have a few products that I like, but my shopping experience there has never been a great one. I find the store to be arranged very strangely and it makes it difficult for me to get what I need or what I am looking for.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will say, though, for as much as a like Trader Joe's overall - despite some flaws - the types of people shopping there can be quite annoying. For as much as people make fun of Wal-Mart shoppers (and rightly so) the crowd at Trader Joe's often act like pretentious snots (at least around here). It's like take your pick, you either have to deal with spaced-out anti-social Wal-Mart shoppers, or Trader Joe's shoppers who think the world revolves around them.

I kind of do like that they are a smaller store though, since it gets exhausting trekking across these enormous super-wal-mart sized grocery stores these days.

15. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I actually have never stepped foot into a Trader Joe's. I generally shop at cost-saver grocers like Kroger or Publix because they're more abundant and easier to get rewards points if you become a loyal customer. I know they probably have bad business practices that I should watch out for, but cost cutting is not always the moral thing to do.

16. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree with you in that its one of my favorite stores. Unfortunately I recently moved and they don't have one where I live. However, whenever I am near one I always stop to go in. I think their prices and the quality of their food is unbeatable. I typically get a lot of their pre-made foods there. I also get their frozen (when I am going straight home). I think their options are endless. I never bought any produce there because I am usually cooking in large quantities. I feel like Trader Joes is catered more towards cooking for 1 or 2 people; as their sizes aren't usually big enough to feed a family.
    I love buying Trader Joes’ spice. I think they have a pretty large selection to choose from at very reasonable prices. You can sometimes spend up to $7 on a spice that you may only use a few times, at the grocery store. However they are only a few dollars at Trader Joes. This is one of the only places I will buy spices (and Costco).

#16Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015