Shopping Early Or Late

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Feb 15, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to shop early in the morning or late at night when the crowds aren't around. I find that I also get some good bargains that way. Some things get marked down in the wee hours, so you can grab up those deals before anyone else Sees them. If you get there early enough in the morning, you'll still find some good discounts.

It's nice to pay less for items I was going to buy anyway, and avoid the long lines at the checkout at the same time.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I prefer to shop later because it can be quieter, however stores usually have better stocks early in the day (discount stores) and once they sell out they don't stock up again if it was a limited item. So, it does depend on the kind of store you visit. I have a a discount store nearby and if you go too late in the day, all the bargains are gone.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom shop at night because I'm already tired by that time. My usual time for shopping is early in the morning. I am already at the carpark even before the mall opens, that is to assure me of a parking space. When the stores open, the goods are still fresh and it's a good feeling that I'm the first one to check on them. Especially with clothing items, it's not good to fit a dress that looked like has been tried many times.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I seldom shop in the evening hours unless I'm with someone. I like to be parked and ready to go in stores when the doors open. It's quiet and as mentioned shelves are being stocked, no waiting in long lines. As a matter of fact, the Kroger that I frequent now has the self checkouts open and no one at the checkout lanes during opening hours.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I like to shop early because everything seems fresh and new in the morning and there's not much of a crowd during morning mall hours. Most people are in their work and students are in school so I experience walking carefree inside the shopping centers if I shop early. :)

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too like to go either very early, or late in the evening. The good thing about going at those times of course is that there's less people. Going first thing is also good because the shelves are all stocked up and the fruit and veg is at its freshest. Going at the end of the day can mean there's less options, some stuff is running low while others are just not as fresh as you'd want them to be.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to shop in the morning, because the crowds are less and I can walk freely and there are no long lines at the cashier. Night time is ok too, but I don't like to be in a rush because the stores are already closing at that time and most of the time if I want to buy food the store is closed already.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends. If you go really late (24 hour stores), you might catch them restocking for the next day or marking stuff down for the morning. I see your point on perishables. It makes sense to try to get the first pick of the newest arrivals.

I figured some savvy shoppers on here would do the "skip the crowds" dance like I do. I'm still trying to figure out when some of the stores do their markdowns, but I've got a line on quite a few of them. The Walmart I tend to visit, for example, has the night crew marking down baked goods before the bakery staff starts the new stuff for the next day. I often get perfectly nice bakery bread for 40% off.

9. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I like shopping early in the morning. I like how quiet the store is and I'm not in anyone's way while I'm trying to calculate my groceries and check all the deals and bargains I can get. When I used to work 3rd shift, I used to love shopping at 24 hour grocery stores for the same reason. It was quiet and many times the stores were restocking for the next or marking stuff down and I caught a lot of great deals this way, but haven't worked that shift in many moons and my body clock isn't set up for that lifestyle anymore.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to shop in the early morning if at all possible. It is quieter and I am not tired after working all day so shopping seems less of a chore and more of a time to take it slow. It is less crowded so I do not feel like I have to fight to get through the isles or worry about being in someone's way. I can just leisurely stroll through the store like I have all the time in the world. I do not usually go shopping anywhere after dark unless I am with someone. I just do not feel safe enough to do that where I live.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally do my shopping in the evening because that's when I have some free time. But I can't avoid the crowds though I'd like to because almost everyone here is forced by circumstances [the work they do] to shop in the evening.

When I can I'll do my shopping in the afternoon - fewer people shopping- one can use their bargaining skills to get discounts.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This would be doable if I was in the UK, maybe. Now that I live in Botswana, we currently have no 24 hour malls :( There are only just now rumours of a 24 hour shopping complex being built in the capital! Yes, we're way behind the times here! Would you believe that we don't have a 'marked down' section in any of the stores, even the posh Woolworths?! You see items that are set to expire in like 1-2 days still being sold at full price! So you really have to be careful when you pick stuff up. It's taking some getting used to because in the UK that sort of stuff is off the shelves, marked down to sell it all off!

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That makes perfect sense. I live in the country now, but I completely understand. I've lived in more than one area where I would feel the same way.

Ah, are we still experiencing a bit of culture shock? ;) It sounds like it's a lot more difficult to find bargains where you are currently then. Yeah, it would take me far longer to do my shopping if I had to worry about everything being almost up to it's expiry time. Here, things generally go on discount when they are a day or two out. I don't mind it if I know I'll use it, and I get a break on the price, but yeah, full price not so much.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to go shopping in the early afternoon or early evenings for my household. I have to care for my Mother so I can only go shopping in the afternoons or early evenings. I still manage to get sale items like the Safeway $5 Fridays too, so it seems to be working out for me locally on Oahu.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Early morning has always been my preferred time to do the majority of my shopping - as even though the time of day makes no difference in terms of getting deals or discounts - as where I live - none of our grocery stores ever offer discounts, have special offers or deals of any kind - yes not even coupons - it can and does make a huge difference if looking to get value for money.

Especially as - because we don't have late night shopping here and the majority of stores generally stock up first thing in the morning and then run the stocks down until the following day - it gives me the opportunity to pick up the better quality items while they're available - rather than pay the exact same price for the dregs left towards the end of the day.

With the added bonus that not only is it always quieter and way quicker than at other times of the day - but in the summer - it means that both I and my shopping manage to get back home - long before the heat of the day becomes too oppressive.

16. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping early in the morning, just because all items are organised and I can choose wisely. There aren't a lot of people to fight items with, lol. There aren't a lot of bumping or screaming as well. It's such a good time to shop because you also aren't crunched for time because the store's just opened. I love the clean smell and the clean floors. All things are just fresh and neat.

#16Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  17. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It is not really an issue whether I shop in the morning or in the evening on a regular shopping day. It depends on the more convenient time on that day. However, if it is one of those special deals shopping days, I will probably seek to make it an early morning affair because I believe it would be less hectic at that time.