Shopping lists?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Oakster • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Do you make a shopping list before going shopping at the supermarket?
    And do you stick to it when you are there?
    I always do one but when I'm actually at the shop I'll add some stuff that's not on the list, one time I wrote down on the list beforehand: "No more chocolates!!"

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have a list at home, when something is about to end I put it on the list so that I don't forget it. Almost all the times I go to the supermarket I respect that list, what's the point in buying things I don't need and can't afford?...

3. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    It's been a while since I made the last shopping list. I always go shopping with no plan as to what I want to buy and try to see what they have to offer in terms of promotions. It would be useful though to be more prepared when leaving the house, since it happens for me to come back from shopping and realize I've bought many items I didn't really need and forgot about those that I actually needed.

4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. I usually just shop for myself, though, as a single girl with no hubby or kids. So I just kind of go to the grocery store and choose what I want to eat for the next few days. The only time I make a shopping list is if I'm following a new recipe and need to know what ingredients to get.

5. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Since I tend to forget buying eithert coffee, either sugar or anything essential for home, my girlfriend draws a shopping list and attaches a pen, that I have to use for cutting from that list what`s on my cart. Otherwise I might forget to buy something and she will get angry:)

6. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    I never make or use shopping lists unless I'm buying ingredients for a specific meal. I typically go to the grocery store and find out what's on sale before deciding what I want to purchase. My girlfriend is the opposite. She makes lists for everything :p.

7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    The only time I make a grocery shopping list is for the holidays. It never fails though, I always seem to forget one or two things I don't realize until the day OF. On Thanksgiving I have a tendency to forget cream of mushroom soup, rolls or cranberries so I send my poor husband to fight the crowds. I do need to though, I think it would send less on junk if I actually planned my meals ahead of time and made a list. My grandmother never leaves home with out lists, and I do mean many lists all organized and she follows them to each until each one is crossed off.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use a shopping list because I always forget coffee ,despite the fact that I need coffee to function. There's always one important item that I forget to buy if I don't make a list, so I don't trust myself to go shopping anymore without everything written down.

9. daniellemx

daniellemxNew Member

Threads:
    I have a whiteboard in my kitchen so whenever I run out of an ingredient I write it down right away. I have a horrible memory so it's very necessary for me to do this. I usually just snap a picture of it with my phone then check the list when I'm at the store or I transfer it down to paper and take it with me. It's so easy and it helps me out so much. I used to go to the store and try to remember it all and without fail I would always be missing some items when I got home.

10. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Snapping a picture of what you need is an interesting idea, do you find flicking through the photos easier while shopping than looking at a written down list? Then you delete the pictures as you put things in the cart, as opposed to scratching it off the list?

11. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No no, that seems pretty crazy to me to have to browse through pictures instead of a shopping list lol! I do think it's a good idea to take a picture as a reminder if you can note it down though, it's something I would do as well. :)

12. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Your ideas with the whiteboard is catchy, but I`m afraid cutting what`s selected with the pen in my hand is more reliable. I might forget some of the shopping emergencies, if I just look to a picture on my smartphone;)

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I used to make shopping lists but I just saw them pointless since I will end up buying more things that were not even on the shopping list. It reached a point I just wrote the shopping list to act as a guide but could not strain myself to it. I am sure you people have faced the same dilemma once in a while.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped writing shopping lists years ago. I just go shopping, thinking "I need everything". That way I rarely forget anything. With that attitude I am a lot more creative than trying to find all the items that I would write on a list. Like today when I went to the supermarket, I thought I will know what I need when I am there. Sure enough a little voice told me that I need fish soup tonight, so I got all the ingredients and cooked a beautiful soup tonight.

15. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I always make lists, especially when I am shopping for food. I used to have a huge problem with grocery shopping; I would buy tons of things that I didn't need and constantly forget the items that were actually important. I would make lists occasionally but often I would forget them at home. Now I start my list a few days before I go shopping and write on it every time I think of something I actually need. When I go shopping I strictly follow my list, allowing myself only 1 or 2 purchases off of the list. This helps me save money and keeps me eating right. Lists are awesome!

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I need a shopping list or I will almost inevitably forget something when I go to the market. Even when I am still at the store, I may realize standing in line or as I'm getting in the car that I forgot something, but rarely will I want to get out of line or go all the way back into the store again. A list helps me be better organized and to plan my meals.

Ha, ha! You should have your coffee before you go to the grocery store to shop! Better yet, take the cup of coffee to go so you have some right there to remind you!

17. JoJoYorkshire

JoJoYorkshireNew Member

Threads:
    I always write a shopping list, it's how I budget and it helps me to make sure I buy what I need and don't have to throw anything away. I allow a bit of flexibility in my plans, but I hate waste and find keeping track of what I have vs what I need is the most important thing to keep on top of it all. I also check the prices online and see what offers are on at different supermarkets/my local suppliers as well as what is in season so I can plan my meals and list around the things that offer me the best value. If I don't have a list I buy loads of stuff I don't need!

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make shopping lists for everything! I love making lists. I make grocery lists, drugstore lists, lists on what kind of clothes and shoes I need to buy, pet shop lists. I'm obsessed....
    It's rare that I go to a supermarket without at least a few products on a checklists that I need, unless I'm going to buy only one or two products.

19. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    Yes I do, but only when I buy groceries. My wife may make a list of everything else though. It's the food items that normally make me forget what should I get and how much. Of course, if I'm just going to get one or two items, then a list is pointless.

20. daniellydiad

daniellydiadNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes will do that, most of the time don't as the supermarket is near to my house.