Shopping Music Without Shopping Online?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by JoanMcWench • Dec 26, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I am finding it is more and more difficult to shop for music without resorting to shopping online. I really feel like this has to do with my eclectic musical preferences. More and more of the places where there are vast and interesting CD selections are shutting their doors. I am not a big fan of mega stores because they do not specialize in music. This really limits the selections.

Does anyone else find this to be an issue? Am I doomed to online shopping or are there other places in the world have have a lot more in the way of options that I am unaware of?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the music stores in my city are gone and Walmart has CDs but they are censored due to Walmart being a family store so I do all my music shopping online. With so many people buying MP3's , music stores are having a hard time staying open. We've had several music store chains in Florida just close down completely. Honestly, even if they were still in business, I'm not sure that I would want to search through racks of CDs in person when I can just do a search online for the exact CD I want to buy and have it sent to my door.

3. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I like to think I have an eclectic taste in music, and I've never really seen many artists/bands I like in Best Buy/Walmart, etc.

I wouldn't buy them if they were there, but hey. Not sure if you have an FYE near you, but they seem to have the best selection out of all the CD places I've seen.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think since cd's are becoming less popular nowadays, you really have no choice but to shop online. It's more convenient anyway right? You can just download the music directly or have the cd's delivered straight to your door. If you still can't find the specific cd that you're looking for, then it would help if you go directly to the artist's website.

5. brookie

brookieNew Member

Threads:
    CDs are too involving. Especially if you then want to rip it and sync it onto your iPhone.You might as well cut off the long process and go from iTunes to iPhone. So I tend to do ALL my music shopping online.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    There was once an FYE in the mall and then *poof* it vanished. Without any heads up. The only place I know of, that is in Illinois, would have to be Rolling Stone in Chicago/Norridge. Very eclectic selection. Very interesting platforms. I feel like I saw an eight-track in that place. I loved it. They also seem immensely popular so I hope they don't disappear with the rest of them.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is still technically online shopping, but if you're looking for CD's with a bit more varied options, you might just want to check Ebay or similar online stores. I personally love the digital files over CD's ever since it first starting taking over, but I agree that stores like Tower Records back then had tons of charm and it was certainly very fun browsing through those collections. I admit that shopping on Ebay is no where near as fun as shopping on an actual store, but if it's just the physical media itself you're after, then it would probably be a welcome option.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    There is actually a CD store in the mall here that has pretty much everything, but they're really expensive. $25 for a CD? No way.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I stay in a city where there is plenty of music stores. I can go and get most of the music that I want but of course sometimes it might be hard so I have to resolve to online shopping. Sometimes although it is piracy, torrent sites offer the best place to get all the music that I need for my entertainment.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to a corporate record store and looked in the world music section think that there would be some music from world cultures like Japan. I didn't find a single Ayumi Hamasaki CD, just a bunch of Japanese flute music that you would hear in a restaurant. Shopping online for music is a must nowadays unless you like the most mainstream top 40 artists.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well to be honest I have no idea why you would think there would be a CD that never came out in America. CDs in Japan cost significantly more, so the import costs would be huge and the market is absolutely niche, so there's almost no chcance they would sell a $30 CD.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Go to the music store yourself and have someone buy you and look for the cds that you are looking for. Even though that online marketing is already a hit, there are a lot of other ways in which you can actually have things without going online. Also there's still the home shopping where you know about the items through TV, which you may also take advantage of.