Shopping Organization

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Sunflogun • Jun 18, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I've started to do recently is to organize my shopping using an Excel. It's not so much work, just create a sheet with the products I buy and prices and that way it's easier to see where we can save if necessary. Anyone doing the same?

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I do take note of my shopping expenses, but I only do it on a piece of paper. I have never used Excel for it.

3. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    I haven't ever thought to use a spreadsheet before. I usually write lists out in my planner, but using a spreadsheet sounds like a great idea. I am going to have to try this soon!

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve been using paper to track my grocery expenses, but I’m thinking of converting it to a spreadsheet. I’ve done a bit of comparison shopping lately, plus it’s always good when you notice prices for certain items are going up. Really makes you pay attention.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    It's just a way to optimize our savings. To start the spreadsheet it's some work, but after I've done it I felt really good because I had the notion of where I am spending and where I can save. Updating the sheet it's really fast after that.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I also write everything down that I need to buy, because I find that it is a lot easier when it comes to shopping if I have a plan, because then it means that I won't pick up anything that I don't need. Even when I am in the supermarket shopping, I will make sure that my list is in order of where things are in the shop, because then I know that nothing is going to be missed from it. I can't stand it when you're shopping and you realise that you've missed something that turns out to be on the side of the store that you started on, and making sure that your shopping is organised in this way is a great way to help with this.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have a similar system, and it works so well for us! Because we have done some online grocery shopping, we have this paper trail that also serves as a quick reference point we often use to compare prices and enables us to quickly decide what's worth buying and what's not. This way we can also keep an eye on price increases.

8. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that some sites already offer that service, but that implies that we have an account with them and we make our purchases through them, which unfortunately it's not my case. So I still do it manually and I am happy with it.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me I just keep all my receipts, so that I can take note of the fluctuation in prices and all of my expenses in general. I don't feel the need to write them in a planner, notebook, or pc.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I don't do it for all my expenses since it would take too much time and effort but I do it for specific types of items I know I could use help with. My excel file is really helpful in letting me track my expenses and usage for particular items and putting in data isn't all too complicated since the formulas have all been put in place and that initial set up didn't really take up too much time either.

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I had intended to list all our purchases weekly but had never gone around to doing it. I might have to give this Excel spreadsheet a try. It is easier as I always have the laptop with me. I guess taking note of the expenses is a nice way if checking how much in your budget is gone weekly. Thank you for this nice suggestion!

12. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    We do organize our shopping with specific products and stores but not in Excel. Haven't actually thought of making a spreadsheet for that though haha. But we used mobile apps to jot down what we need and what we're expecting the price of it be so we can calculate roughly how much the cost is. But when we get there, our goal is to shoot under the estimate by either taking some off the list or buying cheaper brands of the same product. It always works for us because every time we're able to save a bit. It's quite hard if you're not really sure what the prices are of the item you're listing but because we've been to our local grocery store so many times, we've got it memorized already.

I really like the spreadsheet idea and I'd love to try it but I feel it just might be too much work just to prepare your shopping list :p.