Shopping - Retail Therapy?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Jennifer • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, when I am feeling a bit sad I set off to the shops. There are days when shopping is really a mood lifter and I feel great afterwards, but other days I can shop till I drop and still feel in the same dismal mood when I get home as I did before I went shopping. Do you find that shopping is a form of therapy in your case? Or is it just a waste of money?

2. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    It's a waste of money because you are spending money that you could be saving and you are probably feeling even worse after you shopped because your mood didn't change. Try to find something else to do like a hobby instead and that should lift your mood and you haven't spent a penny or maybe a few dollars and enjoyed whatever you have done. I make jewelry or latch hook rugs when I get into a bad mood and i feel so much better. Or play some of your favorite music, dance and have a drink or two, maybe call a friend, get your gossip on.

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    It is a kind of therapy for many women, actually. All those impulse buying sprees are a case of retail therapy, in a way. I've had my 'binges' too :p but am more careful of late. I resist the temptation by simply window-shopping, or even trying on a few clothes in the fitting rooms of a couple of clothes chains. This way, I've learned to assuage my desire to try out something new, without really buying it. If I have gone ahead and made purchases that I've regretted later, I've always ensured that I have retained the receipt so that I can return the goods :)

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I did this recently. I was bummed out about breaking my tablet and having to buy a new one, but I managed to get one for slightly cheaper than I thought I was going to have to pay. Of course, I ordered it online, and it hasn't gotten to me yet, so while I was kind of happy about the reverse win, I was still bummed out about the added expense and the fact that I'll now be tabletless for more than a week... I cheered myself up by buying myself a dress. Yes, this was counterproductive in a way, but the cost of the dress was less than the extra I thought I would have to spend... and looking pretty all day did cheer me up a bit.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I think shopping is a form of retail therapy for some women. However, if you shop and sometimes still does not feel any better then maybe you should invest the money into seeing a therapist. I never use shopping as a therapy, maybe because I am very frugal. I l rather save before I make a purchase and I try to minimize the cost as much as possible using coupons and etc.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not find shopping a means of lifting my mood...sometimes but rarely, i just left poorer (in the past)- in energy, time and money. So, I rather go for a run or a walk in the park. Nature restores me and it is free. I do find shopping in London to be a cool experience though, but one needs to be in the right space. Otherwise, it is a bloody nightmare.

It is cheaper than a therapist though.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    For people who regularly shop to make themselves feel better (I only do it occasionally, so I don't really know): do you get the same effect from window shopping? Because if you do, then that seems like it would be a much cheaper alternative.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, the kind of shopping that tends to be my "therapy" is when I shop online for bullion investments. Another form of shopping for me is buying books online. When I was younger, buying clothes tended to be another therapeutic aspect for me. Eventually, shopping has just been a burden to me and I don't like shopping malls anymore, especially our main one in Toronto. Lands End, eBay and Amazon are the places for me.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    For me personally I shop out of necessity. I'm the shopper that uses coupons for most things or likes to buy only when it is a bargain. I don't shop as a form of retail therapy because I view that as spending unnecessarily when I can use it for bills or other activities I can enjoy like a boat cruise, bowling, movies, etc.

10. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    Retail therapy can be a good exercise if you have a lot of money to spend. But when you're on a tight budget and shopping is close to impossible, window shopping can become frustrating, well maybe just in my case. So what I do is save all year, so that whenever I'm feeling blue, I can splurge on a beauty product, or a shoe.

11. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's a therapy if you have a lot of money but if you don't, then it's more to cause you stress after you have seen your credit card bill more than easing whatever it is that gives you tension. So yes, if you can afford it, then go ahead and splurge but I'd rather spend it doing nature trips than burning cash in retail stores if I should live according to my means.

12. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    When I was still single, I used to do this all the time. I find it very therapeutic. It instantly gives you a high. But I don't do this anymore, especially now that I have a baby and his needs should always come first.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I read a study that said that people are likely to do unnecessary shopping when they are feeling bored, depressed or empty, it's like shopping can fill a void. I experienced that before, I was kinda bored and sad so I looked around for things to buy even if I don't need it. I think that is detrimental because the problem is emotional and you end up spending money over something you don't need, so I think people should control the urge to shop as a form of therapy.

14. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping, it is the best feeling. Especially when you actually purchase the items and take them home. When I finally reach home I feel so relaxed, and thankful. Although the only way I am really happy is when I get a lot of clothes or items. If I go to the store and only get one item I won't be to happy, but if I get tons of items I will be jittery lol.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just a waste of money. If the money were helping someone and not lining the wrong pockets, then I'd be all over it,.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If i'm in a bad mood or anything I can go shopping and feel completely happy and less stressed it's like a real I think shopping is a great form of therapy.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well... shopping as a retail therapy works for me when I'm buying. However when I get home and notice how much I spent sometimes I get even worse than I was before the shopping. I have been spending too much money, and even though I make enough to spend on what I have been getting, it's been tight and what pisses me off the most is that I haven't been able to save a lot.

18. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While i do think that it feels great buying something for yourself from time to time, i think buying just to feel better is a big waste of money and might get you in financial problems. Just check some stores and see what's new, that is what i do most of the times.