Shopping with kids?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst shopping mistake someone who wants to save money can do is go shopping with kids. More than once I've seen kids go wild in a store screaming: "But I want that . . . I want . . . "

Faced with such a mini-crisis, and all the other shoppers eyes riveted on you there are only two options left:

1) Drag the kid out of the store and lock him/her in the car.
    2) Buy the kid what s/he wants even if it wasn't on your budget.

Have you ever got to spend more money than you planned because you took a kid along with you to the store?

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That can always be a tricky situation, but you just have to bear through it and learn to say "no" to your child, he/she will only make a fuss the first couple of times, then they learn that there's no point in crying or screaming about it.
    I think it's a valuable life lesson for them :)

3. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I usually budget money for a small toy with the weekly groceries. Then just tell them of they be good we can get something at the end if they be good..

If its a smaller shopping trip I'll just tell them they aren't getting anything this time and they are fine with it.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ahah, not quite Denis, not quite. When I saw the thread title I saw it in a different way and let me tell you that shopping with kids it's a living hell not because they want to buy everything, but because they can't stand still and they don't let us focus on what we want to buy. So, leave the kids with someone, or be prepared for a tough day shopping... :)

5. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I've found it helps to get them involved;especially if it is items they like. My 4 year old loves walking over to grab hee favorite cereal or strawberries etc.. and bring it back to me and the cart.

Worst case scenario we live in a golden age where all of our phones are capable of playing cartoons for an hour or 2 if need be.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really hate shopping with kids. I even hate taking them anywhere outside. They are so naughty and adamant. Whenever I go out with them, I don't really enjoy because all that I would be doing is to chase them and keep on imposing restraints telling them to stop doing this, don't do this and sorts. And of course, I would always have to deal their tantrums, and I just really hate it. I like kids, I like to play with them. But they exceed of what I can handle, I start to hate them. It happens when you take them out during which they are really uncontrollable, you can't even coax them, at least for me I find it no use. So, it's really a no no bringing the kids they are not really concern.

7. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    It is up to the parents to set the limits, to say no, and to be open and honest with your children as to why, if asked. Don't lie to your kids, don't give in, just say no. Eventually, they will learn not to ask for things like that except for like birthdays and holidays and such. Things seem exciting to them and, as a parent, you want to make your kid happy. You have to realize that what makes them happy isn't always what is best for them and what's best for them is more important.
    This is coming from a half-spoiled only child who has since done everything to try and mend her ways and is still trying.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am always very firm with my nephew. He knows by now that he won't get anything if he throws a tantrum. So, clever as he is, he is now always on his best and most charming behaviour when we go shopping. :) He knows that he will always get something in the end, even if it is just a tiny thing such as a kinder surprise. I don't know if I am teaching him in the right way, but I have noticed that he has become a lot more humble and even proud of his "achievements".

9. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Certaintly there are times when bringing a child along isn't the best idea. Howevr on the other hand, consider that if you're there with a kid, you're more likely to go through your shopping quick, which would mean that you don't spend all that time lollygagging and buying the stuff you think, 'Hmm I don't need this but I'd quite like this'

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've faced this situation before as well, but fortunately, the kids in our family are fairly well behaved, and even when we do budge and buy them some toys unexpectedly, they realize that it's not the right occasion and therefore only ask for small items. If I were a bit stricter with my savings, though, I'd definitely just leave the kids at home when I go shop as much as possible, because not only are they an extra expense for when they suddenly ask for toys, but also I'd have to worry about paying for their food and they'd only slow me down as I run across the mall hunting for items anyway.

11. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the time when my mother took my youngest brother for shopping in the past. He did not want anything else other than a car toy he saw from one of the shop. It was quite expensive so my mum refused to get it for him. She offered to go and look at a cheaper shop but he started crying on the floor and screamed as loud as he can.

My mum tried to ignore him but he never stopped so she had to give up in the end. As soon as my brother got the toy he wanted, he stopped crying and started playing right away right where we was standing. He forgot about the world, he forgot my mum, and he forgot whatever was going on around him :D

Surprisingly that was the only time he was being demanding. He took his car toy everywhere he went and never asked for anything else. He spent his few years of life not being able to live or sleep without his little car next to him :D

12. AZ Athena

AZ AthenaNew Member

Threads:
    I have been to the store maybe twice in the last six years without kids. o_O If they throw a tantrum, leaving isn't an option, because that just means we don't have food. So, we trudge on and do the best we can, though on occasion, I've performed triage on my list when I've realized kids are too tired or out of sorts to cooperate. There has been a time or two where I've spent more than intended, but still within budget. When I know things are tight, I prepare the kiddos ahead of time and keep them as busy as possible helping me while shopping so they don't get the "I wants."

13. wlrahilly

wlrahillyNew Member

Threads:
    This was my thoughts exactly. It's not so much they want everything (although, I have an 8 and 6 year old, so they do), but it is that they can't stay still. They tend to get bored after a while and begin to get fussy. But like another person mentioned, I too budget in a little 'treat' money for my shopping trips so they get something if they behave.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids, but when I was already 12 years old, I tried to get my mom to buy me a book by asking her, and then when she did not buy it, I showed my disapproval in a childish way. She still did not buy that book, it was cheap anyway, I wanted a Sweet Valley Kids book. So I think it really is up to the parents to discipline their child and not let the kids have their way when they don't really intend to buy anything for the kid.

15. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i guess it can be a bad experience lol I mean the way they keep irritating you and keeps demanding things which they find on racks,I have found a way called online shopping hah, It has become my preference for a lot of reasons and its working quite appropriately for me.