Should heavier passengers pay more for flights?

Discussion in Travel started by bargainhunter • Jun 16, 2013.

1. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    With airlines charging for hold luggage as opposed to including it in the price allied to the fact that fuel costs are increasing, is it time to actually take a passengers weight into consideration when charging for a seat? a study by a Norwegian scholar believes that this is the future and apparently 60% of air travellers agree with him.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I doubt 10kg or 20kg makes much difference and is it really feasible? Overweight people would not want to step on a scale before going on a flight, it would be public humiliation for many and as a consequence the airlines would lose money. It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would ever come to fruition.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    LOL that is a great question.. I have often thought the same.. Once the guy next to me occupied his seat and most of my elbow space,.. darn that was the most crapped trip ever. Maybe they should charge extra. :) But the workability is almost impossible.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know how I feel about this I think it's a little rude but nothing surprises me now a days.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    No. I don't want them sitting next to me and crushing me but should they pay extra? No. They're not bothering anyone, so why penalize them?

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I think it's crowded and cramped for the person who has to sit next to a 400 pound passenger, so maybe it is fair to make them pay for two seats. It's not to punish them for being overweight, it's just the fact that they are taking up the space of two passengers and crushing the person next to them.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I would honestly love to see someone try it - and then seriously regret it when they're sued out the ying-yang for unlawful discrimination. I mean who exactly is going to get charged? People who are over 200? What about people who are 180? What about people who are over 130? Will folks have to submit their personal data or be weighed on site? What happens if you have a medical condition? Is it just fat or is muscle included? What about if you have prosthetics or happen to be pregnant or you have a metric crapton of artificial things inside you? What about Siamese twins? I mean... does everyone get a discount for clothing? It's just too stupid and impossible to enforce. The moreso since nothing is stopping anyone from lying through their teeth. Nothing whatsoever.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I get coaches quite a lot in the UK and the one thing that really annoys me is that fat people don't have to pay for two seats, even when they take up two seats. This may sound like bullying, but if you and your big fat butt takes up more than one seat then you should be made to pay for two seats. The last time I got the coach I had to sit next to a woman who not only took up her own seat, but half of mine and when I went to the toilet I noticed that she was taking up half the aisle as well!

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    If the person needs two seats, they should have to pay an additional fare since it's money the airline is losing. Anything else is just discrimination and a heavy person would be within their rights to file a complaint against the airline. However, planes do have weight limits. That pop singer died in a crash in the 90s because the airplane was overloaded with too much weight.

10. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    Hmmmm.... I think it might embarrass customers who are on the heavy side. Although I would agree that it is a practical thing to do, I don't think customers would be too happy about it. If all of the airlines do this, then the customers would have no choice. If only some airlines do this, it would be so easy for customers to choose the airline that charges a standard rate. In the present circumstances, most airlines are making a lot of money. Perhaps instead of putting a premium on heavy people, they should put a premium on what they are taking with them. If the weight limit is exceeded, perhaps the last ones who booked should take the next flight if all heavy baggages are paid for.

11. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    If they are able to sit comfortably in one seat, then they should only pay for one seat. If not, it's their choice whether or not to pay for one or two seats. Personally, I think asking someone overweight to buy an extra seat is very rude. While there is no way to ask nicely to buy two seats, I think this should not exist in the first place. I haven't seen anyone over 200-300 sit next to me, or even in an airplane before, and I really don't think someone who has weight problems would be riding on a plane. But, I do think that overweight people should have a choice whether or not to buy one or two seats.

12. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    My friend who is overweight actually pays for two seats when she travels. She does not find it unfair because its just the way it is. She's a bit bigger and for her to be more comfortable she pays for two seats. Should a person pay more if they are overweight? In my friend's case she does it to be more comfortable. For other people there is a maximum weight limit so the airlines have probably taken that into consideration costwise.

13. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    To charge extra for the luggage that exceed beyond the limit is acceptable, but to do it to a person, I think it is too much. That is discrimination. I am not overweight, but if ever I will see someone at the airport being subjected to something like that, I will feel really bad. It is not always the money, but we also need to consider the feelings of other person. Think about it, If you are overweight and every time you fly, you have to go through this kind of thing. It will cause psychological damage to the person.

14. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think i also agree with this. I guess it would be rude to just charge more for a overweight people, even if in theory it makes sense. Of course it would be stupid to start weighting people to know how much to charge them for flight tickets.

15. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    That is the most inhumane and ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. Not only is it not fare but it it totally rude to people. I mean how do you even start charging someone for his/ her weight? Luggage of course should be charged, since the carrier has a choice of having a lighter luggage with them. What do you do with your extra weight?

16. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't think they should. I also have been very uncomfortable at one point on the plane but certain people have medical conditions which cause them to be a certain weight.
    Perhaps airplanes can have a different seat system in which there can be more moving room in between each person.

17. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great question, lol. I don't think they would like it though. I remember going to Spain as a child and one man was that big they couldn't get him through the door and he took up three seats. I did question if he should of paid more because he took up three seats. I don't think the average over weight person should pay anymore though.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure this one would be quite hard to implement, because it's a touchy subject and a lot of people will be offended. It is a fair rule, but I'm sure a lot of people will be opposing this one.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if you take up more than one seat, you should definitely pay for two seats. If it's visually obvious you will be invading someone else's space, most definitely. Obesity is completely preventable (and yes, even for most health issues!), nobody but you should suffer for it. I know that sounds mean, but if you choose not to take care of yourself, then you should expect some consequences.

20. coco85

coco85New Member

Threads:
    It would be a very mean way to go about things if an overweight person is going to be charged extra for a seat on a flight. You can't humiliate someone because of their weight, it's total injustice. It's not like the airlines would give skinny people discounts or freebies on a flight just because they weigh less right?!