Should I Buy A Pre-built Desktop Or Build One Myself?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Takeshi Fujimoto • Jul 2, 2015.

1. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    Hey everyone, I've been using a laptop for most of my computer-using life. Lately, my needs have shifted and I find myself in need of more computing power, and portability is really not my priority anymore. I'm considering investing in a desktop but I'm not totally sure which is better; to buy a desktop that's already been assembled, or should I build one myself and buy the separate parts? Which method would save me more money?

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    You'd be surprised to know that most retailers selll pre-built Desktop PCs at way higher prices than if you bought the components by themselves, with your own tower. So, therefore and obviously, my advice for you would be to buy your own components and tower and assemble the parts. It mustn't be too hard, but be careful... those components are really fragile. Find some tutorial on the Internet and you should be ready to go. Good luck!

3. Takeshi Fujimoto

Threads:
    I've actually just finished watching a bunch of video tutorials on youtube about building a custom pc. Doesn't seem too hard, and if worse comes to worst I'll just ask some of my more tech-savvy friends to help me out lol. Pay em with a six pack of beer or something. (What are friends for haha) anyway, I think that'd really be the best option. Cheers.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The desktop computer that we have, which is fairly old now, was built by my uncle, who knows a fair bit about computers, since he has been building and stripping them down since childhood. When we first decided to get a desktop, we went to a shop to look at prices, and then my uncle offered to get us parts from a PC fair, and put one together. It cost us a lot less money to take his advice.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're knowledgeable enough to build your own desktop then you have every reason not to buy one that's already pre-assembled. You have to weigh the pros and cons, though, before making a full-blown decision. Is it worth it to build your own desktop? Do you think you can build one with the same quality and efficiency as the desktops manufactured by large companies? If the answer is a resounding "yes" (perhaps because you're confident in your computer-building skills), then by all means do as you please.

6. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you don't trust yourself enough, just ask them to do it without your direct intervention, haha, because those components, just like I said, are really fragile and you must handle them with extra care. Just tell me how it goes when you have everything set up. Cheers.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is definitely worth it to build your own desktop if you know what you are doing, or have someone with you who is particularly knowledgeable about computers, and all of their components. It is much cheaper to buy the parts separately and then assemble it. But if you don't know how to assemble it yourself, I'm sure that it'd still be cheaper to buy the parts yourself and pay someone to assemble them?

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    It's so freaking easy.
    I would say if you have even half an oz of computer knowledge or general handiness then build your own.
    Sounds like you do, since you are already watching how-to's
    Not only will it save you money, but you will get to decide what YOU need in your computer.
    Plus you get to learn a few things.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Building your PC would save you a substantial amount of money but if you don't know how it is done then it would be better to save the money you'd have to spend paying some expert to build it for you. Buy pre-built.

If it's money you want to save but don't know how to build a computer then I'd suggest buying a refurbished PC. They aren't that costly.

10. xpictoc

xpictocNew Member

Threads:
    As a general rule, pre-built desktops are "overpriced". You can often shave off quite a reasonable portion of the set price by building one yourself. Just ask a tech-savvy friend to help with assembly or watch tutorials on youtube. I've read many good things about newegg, which often has sales like "buy a Motherboard + CPU" (20% off). I can't personally vouch for it as I live in Europe. Not to worry, as there are alternatives for newegg here.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you need anything more than a basic Budget PC, then it's usually cheaper to build one yourself anyways. You can often build a $400 pre-built computer for $300 with slightly better hardware. The savings increase as you go up the hardware ladder, comparing pre-built to custom built. It's such an easy task that there's really no reason for a person to avoid finding their own parts and piecing everything together. Countless guides are available, and the only thing you have to worry about is compatibility, which is easy enough to check or guarantee.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you have access to discount sites and have a bit of time and effort to spend hunting down and waiting for the best deals then building your own PC will probably prove to be the most efficient. This is also very useful considering that the process will teach you a lot about hardware and maintenance so you wouldn't have to rely so heavily on professionals which you presumably would be needing regularly in the future since we will probably all depend on computers for a very long time. Buying pre built is a bit of a gamble since stores usually try and get the most profit for their product so they end up having to cut some corners but if you are able to do research on the specific ones you want to buy or if you know the store is reputable then it's not such a bad second option as well.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would build my own if I had the money and knowledge. My ex built all of his, and created them to his own specific needs, which were gaming, music, and photography. You can decide what you want in a computer, then look around for the particular parts you need. It's much less expensive to buy the components and build it yourself, plus that way you know exactly what parts are in it, and can use quality parts, rather than cheap ones. Later on, you can always tweak it by swapping out parts and/or upgrading, since you'll already know the system inside and out.

14. Takeshi Fujimoto

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass - Awesome! How did it turn out? I just bought a bunch of parts and with the help of a computer-savvy friend of mine, we're going to start building my computer in the next week or so. Really exciting and nerve-wrecking at the same time lol

@Denis Hard@Denis Hard - Good point, and I have considered the pros and cons of buying a pre-built one, but my inner geek is just begging for the chance to see how this all works :) Thanks for your input!

@BrandonScooterman@BrandonScooterman - All great points, my friend. And yes, it all doesn't seem to be too difficult. Anything can be learned I guess, with the proper amount of patience and the willingness to learn. :)

@rightct@rightct - Good point! Actually my friends told me that they'll be doing most of the technical parts haha, but I'm hoping to learn how it all works so I'll be able to do it on my own in the future. :) I doubt this will be the last time I'm going to plan to do this.

@xTinx@xTinx - I guess the biggest reason why I'd rather build my own is because I've always been interested in how electronics work (even though I'm not that computer savvy myself). Anyway, I'm sure this experience will be fun and I think I can learn a lot from this. Cheers.

#14Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  15. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree. You must stay there and gather as much information as you could potentially get. It would be truly embarassing to not be able to do it yourself in the future, haha. Good luck!

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    It turned out fabulously. We got one of those hard drives that flashes with a blue led light? It looks so cool at night time. Anyway, more than ten years later, the desktop computer that we built up from bought parts is still working. The only thing that it needs is to be upgraded as far as the windows version. Other than that it is great. Good luck and have fun!!!

17. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    For my BF's computer, we went the build-ourselves way. I knew next to nothing about computer parts, so I researched it all and ordered parts according to what he needed (he produces music). I checked if my build fits on diverse websites, on Reddit and with my stepdad who's in IT, but did not ask for anything other than second-opinion: it really forced me to develop knowledge and understanding about what each part does etc. Which actually turned out to be very helpful.

I assembled it with my stepdad, because he was here on visit and likes this kind of stuff, but it would not have been a problem alone either. Actually, it was a good learning experience and the results are great! Would recommend.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You did the right choice to let your friends do it for you, since you can learn better when you see directly how it's done and you can ask questions along the way. I wouldn't recommend buying a refurbished PC, since it's already used, and it can break down at any time when you start using it, just like what happened to my 2nd hand CPU. It won't boot after 16 days.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, you're right. It makes a big difference. You'll also find that "out of the box" computers tend to have super obsolete stuff. The part you buy individually will likely be more up to date than a lot of the stuff that comes out of the box by the time it's sat around long enough to go on sale.

Newegg has always been good for us. They have good deals, good service, and fast shipping and delivery. I've never had a problem with them yet. They have great holiday discounts on stuff as well. We got Kaspersky for two systems super cheap.

My husband always builds our systems and they are much higher quality, and at a much lower price, than anything I've seen in a box. It's also good if you know ahead of time that you will be upgrading, because you can start buying a piece at a time or grab stuff as it goes on sale, instead of needing to come up with all the cash at once.

20. Takeshi Fujimoto

Threads:
    @xpictoc@xpictoc Yeah, good point. A lot of the pre-built desktops that I see in stores are usually made to look good on the outside but when you actually take a look at the specs, they aren't that impressive.

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane A lot of the work im going to be doing is audio and video editing, and maybe play some games from time to time. And yeah I afree that it would be much less expensive to just buy the separate parts.

@DrRipley@DrRipley Thanks for your reply, and yes thats actually one of the biggest reasons why im deciding to build one myself (with the help of friends of course), so that I'd be better off if ever I need to do some troubleshooting in the future. Won't need to hire and spend money (unless I run into something that I really can't fix)

@troutski@troutski I think there are some websites that offer a list of parts for a specific kind of build. I've pretty much looked up the parts I need for my particular build. Thanks for your input!

@Zyni@Zyni I don't think Newegg is available for my country but there are shops here that offer parts at really low prices, and a lot of them offer monthly payments, which is good.

#20Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015