Should I Write A Formal Complaint In This Case?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Aug 18, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, let me just start by saying that I work in customer service, so I know that it's impossible to be Mr. Smiley-Smile all day long.
    Human's are going to be Human, and so, during the course of the day someone's going to feel like you didn't do enough, were rude, or something. It's inevitable.

But this just ticked me the wrong way...

Just came from the gym, and stopped by the supermarket.
    They were closing.
    Some lady was shutting the doors.
    I asked, in a very polite way, "Don't you guys close at 9?"
    I was literally just checking their hours so I wouldn't waste my time again next day...
    Lady come back with: "Yeah, but we close when it's 9 on our watches. Not yours."

What do you guys think?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    That was the wrong response on her part. If you got her name or a good description, she should be reported to HQ for that response. However, it is protocol to begin shutting down 15-20 minutes prior to actual close. If there are few or no customers inside, then this means the faster everyone can get out. Where I used to live, there was a grocer that would begin shutting down about 30 mins before but someone would always come in 5-10 minutes before and SHOP. Like 15-20 items and they would be down to one cashier who would handle the latecomers.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You don't say what time you got there, but if it was less than half an hour before closing, most stores do shut the doors unless it is a big store. Some stores don't and let people in regardless, but her response was sarcastic, however I would not bother as it's your word against hers and it sounds like a local mini-mart so just don't shop there.

There may have been reasons why they shut up early, but I know many small towns where they do that anyhow regardless of the hours on the door. Let it go, because stores are entitled to open and close when they want. The opening times are a guideline only.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is something that happens often where I live and although I've never understood the concept of turning customers away when they are wanting to part with some cash and do find it extremely infuriating at times.

If it were me - as I really can't see that there would be any benefit to wasting valuable time on this one - even though I feel there is absolutely no excuse for the rudeness of the staff - as they are - as you mentioned - only human after all - I would be more inclined to let it go and just it put down to one of those things that happens and maybe shop elsewhere in future - especially as complaining is unlikely to result in a satisfactory conclusion.

5. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I WASN'T TRYING TO GET IN!!! :D
    I had my mind set on going to a different supermarket already. One I knew was open.
    But since that one is closer, I just wanted to make sure what their hours were. That's all.

But yeah, I'm over it.
    I just don't see why someone would come back with that response, in that particular situation...

I might go back and be a real douche though :p

6. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    Wow.. that definitely deserves a complaint, no matter what, you just don't speak to people that way. Besides the fact that they are closing up sooner than they should, probably trying to save a few minutes, the response should have been much more polite. A simple reply of "Yes, we close at 9 pm sharp. I'm sorry I can't let you in at this time" would suffice. I think the person closing up had his or her own agenda.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would just guess that they get asked that question a lot but I personally think it would be better to make the complaint especially if you like and frequent the store because it will at least help the owners run their business better if they knew this was going on, and the lady would also learn from it to be better at her current job or her next one. If the problem is not corrected then I would simply stop frequenting the store.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe the lady thought you wanted to get into the store and responded thusly to make it clear that it was closing time. Nonetheless it hardly matters. Being polite doesn't cost a penny and all customers deserve to be treated with respect. At all times.

Sounds like someone had been having a hard day. If I were you I'd let it go and shop elsewhere.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don
    No, I don't think so. I have worked in retail and nothing was as annoying as the customer who would come in a few minutes before closing time, browse around and come up to the register with a large order just as we were trying to close. People who have been on their feet all day, in a store setting don;t really appreciate customers coming in late. I mean if she had said " I am closing, what nerve you have for coming so late" or something like that, I would say you were justified...since she didnt say that...let it go...

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    She was incredibly rude, and I would come back in another day and talk to the manager of the store. However, I don't think it's serious enough to write down a formal complaint. It will probably not do a lot for you, you would just waste your time. At least that's what I think. The store had a satisfaction survey or something like that, then I would write it down.

11. BeccaShopper

BeccaShopperNew Member

Threads:
    Sounds like she was having a bad day! I would probably at least let the manager know that she was a little rude, so she can try to watch the way she talks to the customers from now on.

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    That is so rude and unprofessional. She could of told you in more professional and respectful. There is no way she can justify the way she treated you. So you should go and make a complaint against her.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that the woman's response was rather rude. However, if it was me closing the doors to the store at around 8.58pm and someone came up to me and said "Don't you guys close at 9?" then I would assume that they were questioning my actions and implying that I shouldn't be doing this. Don't get me wrong, there's no excuse for rudeness but it might just be the case that she thought your approach was rude too. I do know this wasn't your intention at all though.

14. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

Wow, that was uncalled for and extremely rude! I would def report it. I have worked in customer service for a few years, and I was never rude! I understand there are bad days and when you're ready to go home you want out asap! But that is not an excuse to be a straight a hole to a customer!

15. MMercury

MMercuryNew Member

Threads:
    If the store closes at 9 then they should stay open until 9. Of course, I do understand wanting to close up earlier to get everything settled so that everyone can leave, but that's not really the right thing to do. You could complain and would be in the right but I personally would just let it go. It wouldn't be worth the effort to complain to me. That kind of attitude from an employee is off putting though. I don't expect everyone to be all sunshine and rainbows but I also don't expect to be snapped at over a simple question so I understand where you're coming from.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It was rude on her part, but I would try to put yourself in her shoes. She probably hates her job and dealing with the public, and has to deal with this on a regular basis - likely with people who are in fact rude to her. I wouldn't take it so personally, it's just some random person at a dead end job who's jaded.

Besides, you don't know what all the store procedures and policies are. They may have to be really strict about doing things on their time and clocks for security reasons. In other words, their store security systems may get notified or set off if they detect certain activity after certain times. I worked for a convenient store years ago where we had to be out of there after a certain time otherwise the security company would get notified who in turn would call the police to come check things out.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having lived in small towns and big cities there is a huge difference in how stores work despite signs. I used to live in one of the biggest cities in the world and was used to things being open and staying open 24/7. When I moved to a small town and found places closed when they should have been open, you got used to it. It was annoying at first, but I got used to random opening and closing times despite what the signs said.

Stores open when they want and close when they want, the times are a guideline. Some stores do have to close by a certain time fro security reasons and smaller places maybe short staffed and may need to close up early. That's understandable if someone is sick and there were no replacements. I think we expect too much from shops these days and complaining about it, well what do you gain? The OP wasn't buying anything so he didn't lose out, so what is the point? Doing it to get someone into trouble or just because you can? Sorry to me that's petty, spend you energy on constructive things.

18. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Writing a formal complaint would be a waste of time so don't even bother. The lady's response was rude but it's nothing serious to dwell on. She didn't threaten your life or tried to physically harm you so it's best to let it go. I experience attitudes from people like that every once in a while and I just ignore it because nowadays it's not worth it.

19. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I agree with @missbishi@missbishi about this situation. Your question might have rubbed her the wrong way and she thought it was an appropriate response because SHE THOUGHT you was questioning her actions. That wasn't the case so she was ultimately in the wrong. However, if you did try to do a formal complaint, it'd turn into a he said she said argument that neither side would win. She might even lose her job over a petty comment and that's definitely not worth it if she has a family. Overall, it's in everybody's best interest to let it go unless it happens again in the same store.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    She probably had a hard day had been standing all day and was ready to go. There is work to be done after the store closes before she could go. I would just let it go and make sure I got to any store at least 15 minutes before the posted closing time.