Should Pets Be Treated as Part Of The Family

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Jun 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been reading some articles about how pets are intelligent, why those who own pets shouldn't call themselves owners but caretakers, etc., etc. It had me wondering if most people actually treat pets like they were part of the family. That is, if the need arose, you wouldn't spare any expense to nurse them back to health or ensure they're comfortable. If you own pets, do you spend an alloted amount of money on pets [which you never go beyond] even if circumstances called for it?

#1Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I treat my pets like they're part of the family. And I do like the idea of calling myself a caretaker or something similar then as an owner like they're property of or something. Pets can bring so much joy into your life and they become very attached to you like a child would to a parent. Why not treat them like part of the family?

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    To me also they are part of the family, of which I happen to be pac leader. Just because they happen to have four legs instead of two doesn't make them that much 'lesser', just different. My middle girl while we were ourselves, she was my partner, not my dog. I think of dogs as more or less sentient beings.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is an interesting question. I am all for treating pets like family, but at the same time I think that they should not be allowed to take over the house. I believe that it is a good idea for animals to have their own resting and eating areas. Also I don't like the idea of dogs or cats sleeping in my bed or on my clothes. But that's just me. I can understand other people's customs and habits when it comes to their beloved pets.

5. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you'll find anyone who wouldn't move heaven and earth to save their pet if they fell ill. Yes, sometimes putting them down is the better option for them as they will only continue to be in pain, but I don't think anyone isn't going to try their very best to fund a cure for them if one exists.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I considered my pets to be part of the family when I had them. I considered myself to be her mom. I didn't have a set amount set aside for her care. I was willing to pay whatever it took to treat her.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    All our pets are part of our family and they eat whatever we eat. There is no differences on that. BUT since there are kids and babies at home, our pets have to have their own place to rest and sleep. Some of my family members can't help but keep on sneezing when the furry pets are too close to them.

In the end, we all need to live healthily in order to live together happily and peacefully :) All of us get an equal treatment should an injury or sickness happen anytime.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I treat my pets as part of the family and I'd definitely spare no expense on their medical care if there was a chance to help them.
    Of course I think there are different levels of care you can have with your pets, I care for my cat and dogs much better than do for my fishes for example, they have all the fixtures but I wouldn't be as upset if something happened to the fishes of course.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Not only should your dog(s) be treated as part of your family (because they are!), but I actually find I hold my dog in a much higher regard than the majority of my family. My dog doesn't frequently let me down or slag me off to other people behind my back like my family does.

10. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I absolutely 100% believe that my cat is a member of my family. He was there for me when I had no one else. I got him for free when I was going through a very rough time. I am fairly certain that he's the only thing that kept me going and saved my life on more than occasion. He gave me a reason to get up in the morning and gave me something to come home to. Now that I'm married, he is an integral part of my family and he loves my husband and son. I wish everyone treated their pets as good as they deserve to be treated. This world would be a better place.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah. I find it so stupid when people say we're too caring towards our dogs. Sure it's important to respect people but friends can turn on you any moment and the rest of your family you can't choose. There are just so many rotten people in this world but dogs will be loyal to you through and through. You do have to remember a dog does not have the same abilities as we do but that doesn't mean they should be treated like toys. They are sentient creatures just like us.

12. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I had a pet dog, Mickey, when I was a child and my family treated him like he was apart of the family. My mom had no issues with buying the necessary care needed whenever Mickey became sick. As a family we always took Mickey out throughout the week and spent so much time playing with him. Even when I was watching television or playing a video game, Mickey would sit right beside me. I laugh thinking about him barking whenever I missed a turn on Super Mario Brothers. I think pets should be treated with quality care and love.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah they can be super intelligent. Lily almost always knows when I'm going to take her for a walk. I don't even have to say the word. She'll get excited no matter how I word it. I'm going to have to come up with a code word to talk about taking her out to someone else if I'm not going to go right away but I'm not sure even that will work because I think she just easily picks up on body language.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree that they should be treated as family, and anyone who is unable to shouldn't be allowed to have pets, but that's not to say that they should be treated like humans, because they have very different needs and I've seen a lot of families treat their pets like humans and it only ends up curbing the pets' behavior towards the worse and they end up getting punished for their owners' incompetence. They should be a part of the family in the way that they are given attention custom to their needs, and anyone who says it's too much work or extra effort, in my opinion, shouldn't have had pets in the first place.

15. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Animals are very good at reading body language, especially when it comes to people they know well. Even if you started to use a code word, your body language would give it away too easily, and they'd just learn the new code word and associate it with walkies soon enough too.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my cat taken to the vet when he didn't want to eat, (turns out he had kidney stones) and I will not hesitate to take him there again if he showed signs of not being in good health. Owning a pet is a responsibility, it's like having a child but with less maintenance, so I think every responsible pet owner should be prepared to spend money on their cat for their needs, whether food or otherwise.

17. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    There is a saying I've heard that goes "Be the kind of person your pet thinks you are." Its a good philosophy to live by in my opinion. Your pet trusts you completely, trusts you to love him and care for him until he's gone. Don't let them down!

18. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I have 3 pet Burmese Pythons and every member of the family loves them to death! In our opinion, they're cute as hell and unlike dogs, they're not noisy! We're noisy already as a family. We don't need an animal to go barking around when we shout. haha!

To answer your question, YES! Everyone should definitely treat pets as part of the family. Love them like it's their last day on earth. It will also give you so much bonding time with your family members if you do that. :)

19. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I believe pets are part of the family. I'm not in the best financial situation but I can give an example of things you do for your pets. So recently I had saved enough money to take the last 2 of my cats to be neutered (my other 3 are already fixed) and I took them to the low cost clinic at the humane society. But one of the cats had an issue, the skin didn't glue and opened. I took him back to the clinic, they fixed him and prescribed a medication. I had to buy this medicine but I didn't have the money, I had to take it out of our monthly food budget. I love my pets too much and I wouldn't want them to suffer for something that's treatable.

There was this once occasion where my grandma took a cat from the street. It was a kitten and sick. I took it to the vet since my grandma is poor, but they said it had a genetic condition that blocked it's intestine and needed surgery or would suffer from constipation and die young. The surgery was 800 that I didn't have so my grandma and I decided to put it to sleep.

On another example my dad had a heart attack 2 years ago and was in a hard financial situation because he couldn't work. But then his dog was diagnosed with heart worm and he would spend money for the dogs medication that he needed for his own bills.

When you lo your pets you do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok. And sometimes the humane thing to do is put the to sleep but this would be the last option. If one of my cats needed a treatment that was hundreds or even thousands of dollars I would do whatever is in my power to get them that treatment because I decided to adopt them into mt family and they are now my respons