Should we really sleep with animal / pet?

Discussion in Pets started by whnuien • May 8, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Sleeping with a pet used to be a thing that I did when I was younger. But one night our cat was awake and was just playing around the bed scratching the blanket and so on that it woke me up. When I tried to get up it startled him that he jumped on me and scratched me between my eyes. Since then I never slept with any type of pet anymore though I still love them.

What's your view?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's dangerous to sleep with a pet.

Fine, the pet could love you and you could love it but, as in your case, the first instinct of an animal in the face of perceived danger is to protect itself. So if you're sleeping and have a nasty nightmare and you react physically making your large German shepherd terrified, it could maul you to death. As it was said, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've heard stories of cats suffocating babies so . . . pets can be dangerous.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes wake up and I see my cat on the bottom part of my bed, and when I accidentally and suddenly touch him with my foot, then he goes down the bed to avoid being kicked. At least my cat is intelligent enough to know that he's prone to being kicked. I think that it's not advisable to sleep with our pets on the bed, but if they're tame and won't hurt you at all costs, then I think that it's ok.

4. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Boy you can sure tell it's not a dog group on FaceBook, lol, this question has comments that have a completely different vibe. To me, it's just normal to sleep with them. Currently, there are two on the bed with me. The third, well, he is too big as it's only a Queen size bed, also has the type of hair EVERY thing attaches to and drags around with him. So, no he sleeps on the floor. I'm afraid even a pad under him would not work.

Other than me possibly snoring, there isn't a problem. When our daughter was little and the issue came up about children sleeping in the family bed, it was said to me by one 'side' of the 'issue', that in our sleep there is a 'knowing' of where the other people are, and our body 'allows' that space, so there is no turning over on anyone, etc.

That awareness made a lot of sense to me, and it was certainly true. I was more *hyper* aware of where she was at any second on that bed. And we all still got plenty of sleep. It is very similar with the girls. (girl dogs). We just all move around in our sleep making room for each other when one of us turns over etc.

5. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I occasionally let my dog sleep on the bed. However, my boyfriend is allergic to most dogs/cats and he also has asthma, so if they do sleep on the bed, everything has to be washed immediately before he gets home.

My dog also likes to get up near my face and I'm afraid he'll scratch me, so there's that. =/

I don't think it's a bad thing, but it's not for us.

6. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    My cat sleeps with me and my wife all the time. We have not really any issues. My cat tends to leave if we start moving around too much. I do not think it is dangerous or bad to sleep with your cat. It is a matter of preference. But if it is an issue you can always train your cat not to be on the bed or just make sure your cat is not in the bedroom when you sleep.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh that is bad... I'm sorry about that situation, your cat probably got really spooked. My dog does sleep with me in my bed... it's a full bed so there is plenty of room for both of us. When I got him I really wanted him to sleep on his own bed next to my bed, but he acquired the bad habit of sleeping in my bed since day one, and I never had the heart to make him sleep anywhere else. The other day I got mad at him for his bad potty manners and made him sleep on his own bed... in the middle of the night I woke up and put him back in bed just because I missed him next to me!! Go figure...

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My small dog sleeps on top of my feet on the bed. It's normal for us and we've never had a problem. I'm used to having a little dog curled up next to my feet. It wouldn't be the same without him.
    I guess it wouldn't work for people with allergies or light sleepers.

9. Grapejars

GrapejarsNew Member

Threads:
    Is it time to let our dog in the bed?

We have always had our dogs sleep with us. We lost Amber, a tender Golden Retriever about 3 years ago. We got a puppy, Bailey, a Golden mix rescue, 2 years ago. She is crate trained, and it doesn't bother her, but we are thinking it's time to let her sleep with us. She's a gentle girl, and can be trusted now to not chew anything up, but we are torn. She seems to like her crate, but she would love sleeping with us. We just don't want her to start fighting the crate. Suggestions?

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds cute to sleep with your pet but when I hear stories like that ( the eye scratching) I think about how dangerous it can sometimes be. Plus you don't know what type of germs your pet is carrying especially if they're an outdoor cat. I heard there was some type of rash you could get from sleeping with your dog that for some people can be deadly.

#10Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    If you've had no issues with pets sleeping with you in the past one part of me thinks well, maybe it would be fine, but every pet is different and you don't know how she'll react like accidents in bed or something. If she likes her crate, I would leave it alone. There may be times you have to go on vacation or something where she may be sleeping in a crate and it would be a good idea to have her use to that.

12. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have a midsize dog whom I love dearly. He seems to know that I can't sleep well with him in the bed, so he comes in there for about fifteen minutes, then off to his own bed he goes!

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have friends who let their dogs sleep in their bed and lounge around their furniture. Basically the dogs can do whatever they like. I don't like that. I think that animals should be trained to sleep and rest in their own places. Even though I adore dogs and cats, I have allergic reactions to their fur. I don't like animal hair floating around everywhere, especially not in my bed. Also, I don't like dog slobber all over my couch and pillows.

14. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Hmmm... I have 3 pet snakes and one of them is 11 feet long. To be perfectly honest, I sleep with it daily. I find no problem sleeping with pets especially if you treat them as part of your family. My pets give me company and I always think that they need my company too.

You should love your pets as much as you can because I can assure you, they love more than you know. :)

15. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    My 2 large dogs fart, snore loudly, make noises when they dream and twitch their legs, they fidget and their stomachs make loud gurgle noises sometimes and they shed hair. How on earth would I sleep with that lot going on all night?

They are much happier sleeping in their own beds, thankfully. Thinking about it, I would probably keep "them" awake with my constant fidgeting to get comfy. Just my opinion of it.

16. Nook

NookNew Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear you've lost faith towards sleeping with certain animals and I understand where you're coming from.

I, on the other hand, fully enjoy sleeping with my dog and other animals. I believe it creates an even deeper bond between the animal and the pet owner.

Do not give up! Perhaps try on a dog for a change and tell us how your experience goes!