Should We Try Audio Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Caly • Aug 20, 2015.

1. Caly

CalyNew Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone! I have a real passion for reading, I love it, I "devoured" books I like.

Today we have the opportunity to read but also LISTEN books.
    I have only read books and I ask myself many questions about audio books.

What are the advantages of the audio book?
    Is the audio book more expensive?
    Are audio books made for everyone?
    How long does an audio book?
    Is longer than reading a printed book?
    How can we do to suspend play and not lose the story line?
    When there are several characters, is not it difficult to distinguish listening?

Thank you for your future answers!
    Caly

2. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I think audio books are really nice. I'd really recommend them for working out or if you're going on a long car ride and don't feel like listening to music. They are really affordable for the most part but very well made. It can sometimes be longer than reading a book by itself but then again, speaking always takes longer than reading. If you use a program like audible, you can pause the book and come back to it later. Plus with the varied voice actors, you can distinguish characters better but they might not sound like how you'd imagine if you were reading the book (if that makes sense.)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Audio book are too expensive for no good reason.

I've listened to several audio books and the narrators were so horrible that I didn't even finish listening [to the books/file]. Could be the narrators weren't professional voice actors but I doubt it wouldn't make a huge difference I think. I wouldn't recommend buying audiobooks.

Or if you must, before you fork out the cash try listening to a few free audibooks.

4. Caly

CalyNew Member

Threads:
    @tasxx@tasxx >> Exactly, I wondered what activities we could do the same time as listen to an audio book. Drive by example, is that it isn't dangerous to focus on the book and on the road at the same time?
    Is there are other activities that it is not recommended to simultaneously?
    Moreover, should we listen to an audio book and do something else at the same time or should we devote himself entirely, as when you read a book?

@Denis Hard@Denis Hard >> Could you tell me what is the average price of an audio book? I confess I have no idea ...

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The prices do vary from audiobook to audiobook same way all books are priced differently depending on the content, popularity of the author, etc.

The cheapest audiobooks cost around $10 but many audibooks sell in $20-$40 range with the more expensive ones costing up to $150.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Audiobooks are good for some people, those who can't read as well or like to hear stories and don't have anyone to read then to. Maybe older people who are alone, or children can have them as bed time stories.

I personally don't use them, but know older people who do because they are used to listening to stories on the radio and that's what they like. For those who are losing their sight, they can be a blessing and can be a nice gift.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know, I've really taken to eBooks to the point where I very seldom buy actual, physical books. I often get offered free audio books, but I just don't have much interest in them. I'd rather read for myself, and as long as I've got my sight, I won't be bothering with audio books. I think it would kind of take away the some of the fun for me.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There will always be a place in my heart for audio books. I can rarely ever find an audio book that I am interested in enough to listen to all the way through though, it seems. But as far as the premise goes, I really love them. I tend to be more drawn to the horror audio books - shorts. I love the voices that give the characters personality, and you can't get that from normal books.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well audio books are more expensive. They are great on long car trips however. My ex and I once took a trip out West which involved lots of dead driving. The wide open expanses gave us plenty of time to listen to our audio books and we had some kind of truck shop membership where we could pick up and exchange the books as needed.

10. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have mixed feelings about audio books. I use them to save time and energy, however I have recently discovered that my impression and understanding can vary quite a bit from the tone of the reader for the audio book. I recently started to listen to some old classics that I have already read and I found that the way the book was read made a very different impression certain parts of the book.

11. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like some unabridged audio books. We do a lot of travel by RV. Sometimes we all listen to one but usually, I just listen to it on my headphones when I'm not driving. I sometimes get car sick from reading in motion so switching to an audio book can give me time to keep my stomach under control. I'll admit that I don't buy them though. I either grab them free, use the library, or use

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of audiobooks, i just think it's ridiculous to have someone else read things for you when you can do it yourself. Also because I've listened to some before and most of the narrator's voice annoy me.

13. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Love the concept of audio books - they're a great way to get in 'reading' while going about your day or doing work - but not always the execution. It's very important for the narrator to be good, otherwise the whole thing gets thrown off. That's the main reason I don't bother with free, public domain audio books like the kinds you'll find on LibriVox.org, because most of the narrators don't know how to narrate properly at all. Get someone with a good voice, though, and you'll have a good experience. I especially liked Stephen Frye's take on the Harry Potter books, for example.

But, yes, audio books are pretty expensive. I'd say find a sample chapter of a book you're considering buying before going for a full sale. It's impossible to tell whether or not you'll like a narrator until you actually hear them reading.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely encourage people to try audiobooks. I have met a handful of people who just don't like them, and prefer to use their own imagination to interpret the written word, then there are others who don't mind it, and then there are the people who prefer to listen to audiobooks over reading the physical copy of the book. I like hearing the different voices for the different characters. It adds a new layer to the stories.