Shower Gel

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by missbishi • Mar 15, 2015.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's everyone's opinion on cheap shower gel? My local supermarket sells a value brand at 70p for 500ml and I think it's great! It has a creamy consistency, smells OK and gets you clean. My partner, on the other hand, thinks there is no way something that cheap can be effective!

I'm certainly clean, I am confident about that but what does everyone else think? Do you just go for the cheapest brand? Or do you prefer somethng a little more luxurious?

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I go for what works :) Care to share your find? What's the name of the cheap brand that you picked up?

I use a bar soap to shower with, but I'll use a shower gel for the nice smell that it gives. I have a variety of shower gels, but I don't use them for cleanliness so much as I use them for the smell they give off. I've got to shower with bar soap or else I just don't feel fully clean.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. If I like the smell and I feel clean after using it what does it matter? I know it's hard to trust cheap things sometimes but it's not like buying a car for example. It's just for washing yourself so why should you have to pay a lot?

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the actual shower gel, some brands are very drying. If your skin is not itchy and you feel clean that is all that matters. I started to buy the Bigelow Body and Hair wash for my son and I would recommend it. Usual retail is about $12.50 at Body Works, they have plenty of coupons available so you can get the product cheaper.

I was concerned how well a product that is for hair and body would be, usually either your skin dries out or your scalp dries out. This product was actually very good, the hair looks nice and shiny and the skin is not dry. The smell is nice, there are a few different choices in the line.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go for what is cheap, but not too cheap. It has to be a name brand like Soft soap or Dial, or something like that. These gels work just as well as the fancy ones you find for more expensive. I would not buy a dollar store brand, for instance, because these tend to dry out my skin.

6. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I use shower gels that I find at the Dollar Tree here in the States. I also use the shampoos and cream rinses on my hair that I purchase there. As for shower gels that they have,,, there are a number of different fragrances, so I can vary what I buy. I use them with one of those net scrubbies and a little will make a lot of suds so it goes a long way.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not love the cheap shower gels, but I did try some, and they worked. I mean, I'm pretty sure people can smell the effectiveness for themselves.. either they work, or they don't.. One thing I am looking to avoid though is the gels with Cocamide DEA, since it has been known to cause cancer (at least according to some researches and states), and the cheap gels tend to have it, so... yeeah.

8. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I don't think its just about getting g clean. You can get clean with soap. I think that if you need to put a product on your skin then it needs to be of good quality. What's the use in saving those pennies is you'll end up doing irreversible damage to yourself. Damage done to skin is very difficult to undo.

9. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    If you are happy witth the final result I guess the price doesn't mean much. As long as it is tested and safe for using then all is fine regardless of the price tag. I don't really care about brands to be honest.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve been using natural bar soap from a local company lately, but when I do use shower gel, I tend to go for the second- or third-cheapest find. I’ve found some of them to be quite nice. Some of the ones that cost a couple more dollars do have a more natural, less plastic-y scent, though, so occasionally I’ll splurge on one of those. I wouldn’t pay more than $5-ish, though, since it’s literally just going down the drain. I’m probably lucky my body skin isn’t particularly sensitive.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I ever came across that shower gel, I'd snap it up! I used to be all about the best brands, and like everyone else, I really like luxurious brands. But right now, I really can't afford to be choosy. I just buy what I can afford while we try to get back on our feet. As long as it smells fine, lathers up enough for me to get clean and I don't have any allergic reactions, I'm onboard.

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The only inexpensive bath gel I use is trader Joe's brand. My skin is sensitive so I have to use Bath and body works sparingly. Though not cheap, Vitabath offers the best of both worlds.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Had I been asked this question some time ago - my answer would very definitely have been - absolutely no way would I ever consider switching to using cheap brand shower gels - particularly as the majority of cheap shower gels I'd come across - were not only poor quality but generally way too heavily scented and not always very pleasantly either.

However - since discovering that one of the supermarket chains where I live - has such an excellent skin care range - that it is now the top selling brand in the whole of the country and not just a popular choice with those that live here but also with tourists - so much so - that all the products fly off the shelves quicker than the assistants can replace them during holiday season - I'm now totally converted.

So yes I do now buy store brand shower gel - in fact I now actually prefer it to the more expensive brand I used to use - as not only is it equal in quality and in some ways slightly superior - but more importantly as it lasts way longer and is a fraction of the cost of my previous brand - at the equivalent of $1.50 for 500ml - I never have to feel guilty about using it - as the savings from switching are already noticeably significant.

14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I think cheap shower gels are absolutely fine. Then again, I use a relatively cheap one myself. While skin care is important, I don't believe paying for extremely expensive brands has that much benefit. Unless you have a condition that needs a special kind of soap to maintain I see no reason to buy expensive products.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    As long as there are no chemicals in it and I feel like it works then I'm fine with using cheap products. If it's something I'm worried about I'd look it up and see if there are any complaints or findings at all, but I think most of the time as long as it is a product that goes under a quality check by the government then it should be safe and if it's cheap and effective then it's much better.

16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I like going to the dollar store to get dial soap. Although I like dove soap much more. I don't need soap drying out my skin just because it's cheap. Having to buy a lot of lotion because the soap is too cheap and drying out my skin is not good. I love being able to use shower gels as well but I don't buy it much.