Shrove Tuesday

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Feb 15, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This year it falls on February 17th, the day before Lent begins and here in the UK we have pancakes everywhere. I love them now as I did as a child and even in nursery school we had them. Learning to toss a pancake is fun and also pancake day races.

Do you make your own or buy them ready made? I found the cheapest way is a pack of batter mix from Tesco for 15p that can make 6-8 pancakes depending how thick you like them. I've made my own from scratch too, which is easy with oil or butter, milk/water and flour. I try to add wholemeal flour to make them a little healthier.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's surprising how with time people stop celebrating things I remember when I was growing up. Paczki day is another one people seem to ignore. It kind of makes me sad a lot of children are missing out on these things.

Anywho, to answer your question I go the homemade route. It's dirt cheap that way.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It used to be a major fun event in all schools in the UK, but these days because of the religious side to it, I think some schools aren't allowed to have them. I do feel it is a shame, that a country has change to appease others religious beliefs in the event of offending them. Children usually have fun making the pancakes and parents would join in and have races.

I'm sure in some places they still do have races for fun and charity, but I am sad it has been on the decline for PC reasons.