Skin Care Products for Acne-Prone Sensitive Skin

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by meryliz • Aug 9, 2012.

1. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    For those with sensitive skin: what skin care products and makeup do you use and recommend (on a small budget)?

Specifically: face wash (with salicylic acid), day/night moisturizer (with SPF, unscented), concealer, foundation and makeup remover

Currently, I'm using some decent products (listed below), but some are in need of replacement and I still manage to get acne even with a fairly consistent routine (and 3-4 days a week I don't wear any makeup). So I would like to know if there are products for my skin type that are worth trying. Thanks in advance for your help!

---

What I'm using right now:
    Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cleanser
    Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30
    Almay Clear Complexion Concealer with Salicylic Acid
    Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation, SPF 15 (love the powder, but the sponge applicator became unusable too quickly)
    Pond's Cold Cream

#1Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    There's no need for salicylic acid in a face wash/cleanser, it will go down the drain before it can be useful, salicylic acid or glycolic acid needs to be left on the skin to take effect.

Cleanser:
    -

-

Day moisturizer:
    -

-

Night moisturizer:
    -

-

Salicylic acid:
    -

-

I hope this helps.

3. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    Thanks a lot! I will look into these products.

You're probably right about the salicylic acid; the most improvement that I've noticed in my acne is when I use concealer that contains 1.0% salicylic acid.

4. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use anything fancy for acne. I usually wash my face with Dove soap and for a toner I use Lipton Green Tea with honey and occasionally, I'll use peroxide. Other than these produts and the goat's milk soap I've used in the past, almost everything else seems to break me out.

5. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, most of the products you find in drug stores are full of chemicals that will either worsen your acne or dry out your skin. It's a vicious cycle. I highly suggest gentle, natural products like

Eating more fruits and vegetables, as well as drinking more water will also reduce acne.

6. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    Interesting! I never heard of a DIY green tea toner before. I just looked it up and saw a couple of recipes and methods that I'd like to try.

I'd love to get into the habit of using natural products, but I've had some bad experiences where my body rejects the new product (e.g. vitamin supplements) and I develop a lot of acne. As a quick fix to reduce the acne (and increase my self-esteem), I turn to the usual chemical products. I guess it's just a lot of trial and error, isn't it?

Thanks for the link! Is there a specific product that you use and recommend? The products are pricier than what I usually budget for skin care, so it would be nice to look into a specific product to see if it will be effective on me.

#6Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  7. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    The Avenno Daily Cleansing Pads are great. It's around $7 for a 2 week supply...if you wash your face twice a day. They make a world of difference in my skin and my pores are near invisible afterward. I've used a $70 serum to reduce the appearance of my pores and all I needed was a little exfoliating pad.

8. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I only use one thing and it has helped in keeping my pores as clean as can be.

Clean & Clear Daily Facial Cleanser. Trust me on this, I can vouch for this product with 100% certainty it will help. It eliminated most, if not all of my acne problems, and unless I forget to take a shower (cause I'm camping or something) or I'm really stressed, my face stays squeaky clean. Try it out, what have you got to lose?

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to go for high end (cause my skin is REALLY sensitive. I can't even dream on using salicylic acid). But I have some great drugstore finds to share as well!
    For face wash, Cetaphil is the way to go for sensitive skin! I like one by Maybelline as well, it's the white one, unscented for sensitive skin that comes with a little scrub. I can't remember the name.
    day/night moisturizer: Olay Complete All Day moisturizer. This is the ONE drugstore product I will choose over any of my high end ones (Kiehl's, Dior, Clinique, the list goes on...)It is THE BEST. I swear by this moisturizer! It's like 8 bucks and has 4 fl oz. Can't beat that!
    For concealer, my favorite is MAC's Studio Finish, but since you are on a budget a really good one is Physician's Formula Cover RX.
    For foundation, I love Bourjois Healthy Mix, but as it's not easy to find if you are in the US. So I would go with Colorstay by Revlon!

Hope you try and love some of these!

10. sophianathan

sophianathanNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer using only organic and natural skin care products. Drink plenty of water.

Going organic has revealed a lot of benefits for individuals especially when it comes to their health. The same goes with organic skin care in the sense that it focuses on providing a natural approach and treatment regimen to various conditions and problems.

#10Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I use a special cream called Cetaphil. Its available at most chemists around my area although I haven't checked online. I'm not sure if its an international product since its manufactured in my country but its been pushed strongly by doctors and dermatologists. Its just a deep cleaner which you're meant to apply and wash off, like a concentrated soap. I've had pretty good results with it.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I tried a lot of products from the mall and the drugstore and they didn't work. Right now I just use organic stuff like oatmeal to exfoliate my face.

13. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend to use something very gentle everyday so it doesn't drain your skin of oil or make it dry and feel like its tight. I would recommend to use cetaphil because any dermatologist will most likely introduce this skin care line becaue it just keeps skin balanced and healthy.
    The prices for these products are also very inexpensive so its a win win situation in my book.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Cetaphil is the must have cleanser for sensitive skin, you can even use it on your face with no water, just rub it off. Oilatum is quite good too, I've been using it for quite sometime now.

15. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I also agree with going all organic/natural. You can never go wrong! Especially for sensitive skin. I've been struggling with extremely sensitive skin all of my life and organic products have only worked for me. I currently use African Black Soap as my face wash and the green tea toner. I follow up with a moisturizer. DRINK WATER!

16. jessicak2

jessicak2Banned

Threads:
    Which products you share with us that's best for our.