Skin Discoloration Remedy

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DreekLass • Aug 22, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have some skin discoloration on my face. I have had it for years. First it started off faint and is gradually spreading and getting worse. It looks like I am frowning sometimes, but then other times people who aren't focused on it don't notice it. I just want it gone, and was looking for natural products that would reverse it.

But all I see is skin bleaching products, and I do not want to be getting into bleaching my skin. I just want the discoloration gone, and the rest of my skin to remain as it is. Does anybody know of any product suggestions that could do that?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here are some all-natural ideas to try on the affected area in this article. I can vouch for the lemon juice, it was really effective when I had chloasma from taking the Pill years ago.

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you so much for the information and for responding :) Lemon juice is a bleach though right? How long after you started to apply it did you begin to see results?

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You won't like my answer haha! Can you guess? Eh? huh? Eh? Eh?

I had it too.. I'm not sure if it started at puberty, but not long after if it didn't. It was pretty noticeable in my case and now it's not there at all. I just realized it not that long ago actually.. I was so used to it and not focussed on it, I didn't notice it going away. I'm assuming my diet put my hormones back in order or I am what I eat and the regenerating skin was eventually completely built on the right foods, and here we are. But I'm not going there lol. I was also going to suggest lemon, but I see it as a temporary thing as it doesn't fix the issue that causes it.. @missbishi@missbishi it went away with just lemon?? If so, that's awesome! I know how self conscious things like that can make a person. I also used a product from Paula's Choice that worked wonders, but it doesn't look like you want that sort of thing. Again, it's not something that dealt with the true issue and it came back when I stopped using it. It also didn't completely go away while I was using it, but definitely did a much better job than anything else I'd tried. You should also be protecting the area from the sun as much as possible, as far as I know anyway.. especially when using exterior methods that mess with your skin.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I haven't read it all yet, but I can guess ;) I am working on that side of things. But I'd like faster results as far as my outer appearance goes. Fortunately, the discoloration hasn't effected my ability to attract people lol ;) My is caused by a hormonal imbalance, I am certain of it. But it would also be sun damage too, since I have never really used sun block.

I don't have to see my own face very often. But it is getting to the point where I hate taking pictures, because the discoloration is getting to be so prominent. I have heard of something called African Black Soap. Everyone raves about its skin healing properties. So I'll be looking into that too :)

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass I wouldn't go so far as to call lemon juice a bleach. A natural lightening agent, sure, but not a bleach. The way I see it is, I'm quite happy to ingest lemon juice so I've no problem putting it on my skin. I've heard lots of good things about the ABS though and I think it's relatively inexpensive so I'd definitely agree it's worth a try.

@JosieP@JosieP It took around six weeks to see a slight improvement and around 4 months for it to have gone. I was religious about applying it though and always used the juice from an actual lemon, not a squeezy Jif. I kept using it even after the chloasma had gone in an attempt to keep it at bay. Once I came off the PIll, I stopped using the lemon and never saw any more discoloration.

Something else I should probably mention is to always treat the area at night, before you go to bed. Otherwise, you risk a beard of bees in the warmer months!

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    My mother went out shopping the other day, and I had been raving to her about the things that I'd read about the ABS, and she ended up getting me some from the local beauty and hair store. I have been using it, and it has really given my skin a whole new glow. That is just after one use. Let's hope that it can fade the dark spots on my skin. :)

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's great.. I had mine for so many years, I wish discontinuing the pill worked for me as well. I also LOVE love love African Black Soap. It never took care of the issue either, but I didn't expect a product to take care of the cause anyway. Because of this, if a product works, you'll need to do it forever.. which in cases like this is usually not a problem; I'd just rather take care of the cause because skin won't be the only symptom long term. Hormones are a bitch ;)

9. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Like someone suggested above, I would recommend lemon juice as well. If you're worried about it being too harsh, I would mix water with lemon juice and use it as a toner after washing your face and before moisturizing (keep the toner in the fridge so it doesn't go bad, plus it feels good when it's nice and cold!)

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree that if the cause is not dealt with, then the problem will just keep coming back. I can't be bothered to keep going back and forth to the doctors to get all of the things that are wrong with my body dealt with, because they never know what they are talking about, and their goal most of the time, seems to be to get me to buy their crappy medication, that just makes me feel like crap when I take it. I don't have the patience. I am really hoping that the ABS fades the discoloration, or just evens it out. It has gotten really prominent and is getting worse. I can't imagine having this problem for the rest of my life. It is ruining my looks. I am quite happy to keep using this product for the rest of my life if it'll work for me.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Peelings are the best thing when it comes to permanently evening out your skin color. But it takes time and several sessions to make your skin improve, and cost quite some money as wel. So you need to be patient and be aware some money will go away with this.
    But meanwhile it is good to use a good foundation, there are some that actually do good things for your skin and also help even out, like the Clinique Even Better foundation. Sure, they don't give nearly the result of peeling sessions, but they do help.

12. mailen

mailenNew Member

Threads:
    I've had pimple scars on my forehead when I was in high school and creams doesn't give it any improvements. I've tried using calamnsi every night before I got to bed. It's a bit prickly for a while so I really have to withstand the pain. But with only 2 weeks of using it, the scars and discoloration has faded. I also tried using calamansi after I gave birth. Because I had discolorations in my armpits and neck and using it religiously for a month made my armpits and neck come back to its natural smoothness.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you for the advice :) I am not really a make-up person and I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to applying foundation or concealer or anything like that. Not only that though, but I don't want to have to use make-up. I want to be free with my face and skin. I don't want laser treatment because when the problem returns, then I'll have to get ore laser treatment. I just want a product that will fade the dark spots and keep them at bay.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In that case, I would just be diligent with sunscreen or hiding from the sun, exfoliation, add something like lemon to the regime and hope for the best. When it comes to lemon and other exterior methods though, I would think the results would be better if you could keep the treatment to the spots themselves.. otherwise, everything is lightening together and there will always be a difference in colour.. no?

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, my sister informed me about the need to use sunblock when you are using an exfoliating soap such as African black soap, because as it removes the old skin, your skin is going to be vulnerable to sun damage, which makes a lot of sense. I did a lot of research to make sure that the African Black Soap would not lighten the rest of my skin. I like my complextion. Just the dark spots have to go.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hear you.. they were the bane of my existence for most of my life. I hid from cameras a lot because of them; for some reason they were even more apparent in pictures. I tried absolutely everything I could think of or read about. I can think of two major hormonal events (aside from puberty and pregnancy) that could have been the cause.. it's crazy it can lead to things like this. So unfair the things women go through just to be female and able to bear children LOL and not all women even want children; you should be able to choose if you even want those hormones or not haha. Ah well.. good luck freaky Dreeky ;)

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    They've been on my face for years, but when I'd look in the mirror I wouldn't really see them and so they wouldn't bother me. But they are growing, and my auntie pointed it out last year. My doctor didn't notice it until I pointed at it, and then she said she saw it. Photos are awful lol. Because the flash makes everything sharper, and whilst that is good it's awful for the discolored parts of your skin. They are very prominent in pictures!!! It seems like they are worse in pictures than in real life. When it is caused by pregnancy, it is called pregnancy mask. And yes it sucks the things that women have to go through, and the pressure that is put upon us to be perfect at all times, during menstruation, pregnancy. Everything, and usually for the benefit of mens' libidos and acceptance. I don't want hormones. Take them away. Could I interest you in some hormones? How about I pay you to take them? ;)

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha.. nooooo thank you. Done with my own at this point, I think I'll pass lol. Yeah, mine weren't from pregnancy.. I had them since... I don't even know now. Maybe it was the pill.. maybe something else I won't get into here lol. Who knows.. it's not genetic though, as I don't know of anyone in my family that had it. Although some genetic issues can pass on in different ways, so..... going in circles lol.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't think it is genetic. But more tha n a few members of my family have facial discoloration issues. My uncle has it, my older sister has it, though her is a lot less noticeable than mine. Also, more than three of my aunties have it on their faces. One of my aunties, it seems to have taken over her entire face, but she recently has a hysterectomy, and she did say that it happened around that time.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear about your uneven skin tone, DreekLass. I can relate because I've been there, done it and bought the T-shirt, so to speak! Mine was brought on by the pill, even after making the connection and coming off it, it never helped! 2 years after stopping the pill and skin seemed to actually get worse by the minute!!! I'm glad lemon juice is working for a lot of people, it was way too harsh for my skin, and showed no results. The same goes for the apple c oder vinegar that most swear by.

What really worked for me, was skin peels, using physical sunscreen religiously and regularly using Vitamin C serum. It didn't happen overnight, but it helped a great deal. My skin has come a long way, and although it's not perfect, it's the best it's been for ages :) I hope you're able to get yours sorted. I too have heard good things about ABS, although I've never used it myself.