Skin Products

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Bolt • Oct 9, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Skin products are a waste of money. You do not need moisturizer, for example, your skin glands produce enough oil to lubricate and protect the skin. These products disrupt your natural body regulation, our body is designed to regulate itself!

Not to mention all of the toxic chemicals found in these products...

Why do you waste your money?

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:

If they are all a waste of money, ( I am not saying I agree or disagree) what is it you DO recommend? Surely you have a natural product in mind that works better to take care of skin daily.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    People buy skin products because not everyone is blessed with perfect skin and high enough self esteem to not care whether their skin is perfect. It's a little insensitive for you to be so snarky about it.

4. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I am wasting money on the skin products I use and I believe, as others have said, that giving your skin a little extra help staying healthy is not a bad thing! I have noticed a difference since I have used a particular product and as long as I believe it works and helps, I don't mind spending the money.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I would say many skin care products are a waste of money, but not all. Even though the body is designed to regulate itself, it doesn't always work out that way. Anyone with dry, flakey, sensitive skin knows what I'm talking about. I would love for my body to correct the imbalance of my skin on its own, but I do have to give it some help. Part of this is from the inside out with a good diet. I will say that most expensive brands are not worth the money, and I have tried many. I have recently discovered a modestly priced brand called Palmer's and it's great for dry, sensitive skin.

6. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    Is soap a waste of money too?

7. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    It isn't a waste of money, as long as it's wasted on quality products. Sunscreen and moisturizer are very important for everyone.

8. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your post. However, I don’t agree with you that skincare products do more harm than good. I, for one, cannot go without moisturizers. External factors and bodily changes make it impossible for skin to make its own oils and regulate itself, like you mention. So many products work sub-dermally, including vitamin c, tretinoin, magnesium sprays, etc. Some of these are recommended to be applied on the skin, instead of taken orally cos they are more beneficial this way – for e.g., magnesium spray.

9. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    I feel that Bio oil is one of the most natural way of replacing oils in the skin in a natural way, we are very open to the elements in this country and our skin can suffer as a knock on effect, It is not vain or just plain vanity to have perfect skin, there is NO ONE on this planet with perfect skin. Supermodels are airbrushed and their make up is so thick you could scrape it off with a trowel. They use mineral powder to cover up all imperfections. It is fine for the average person to want to look good and feel good inside, looking good on the outside is one thing, but if you are ugly on the inside, then it dosen't matter what you put on your skin, It will surely show.

10. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of disagree. I think it depends on genetics, diet, stress-levels, medicine use, drug or alcohol use, chemicals in your tap water, how soft your tap water is... I've gone without skin products for months before, usually when I'm broke, and I can tell you my skin doesn't look the same and isn't as soft, especially during winter. But then again, during those periods, my diet sucks and I'm stressed out more.

If you wear make-up, you have to have to clean your skin with some type of product. But most affordable products strip your skin of its natural oil. And not everyone's glands work equally well.

And then there's if you just have beautiful skin. Some people have it and have to do nothing to keep it that way. And some just don't, no matter how much they try. Maybe you have great skin naturally...

I do believe in a perfect world, skin products wouldn't be needed. We'd be eating the most nutrient-rich organic foods, our tap water wouldn't have drying agents, we wouldn't wear any make-up, we wouldn't be breathing toxins into our body every breath we take, we would never be stressed out... Wouldn't that be cool. ;)

#10Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I would join the group of nay sayers here.I had no use for any cosmetics as long as i was young. After thirty my skin is showing signs of drying, and being flaky. I use natural products mostly on my skin it is sensitive. However I need help.
    Lucky you if you have a wonderful skin that needs no moisturizers.

12. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I respectfully disagree with this original post. Moisturizing IS necessary for our body does not trap all our natural oils. As we age collagen is reduced and our skin become less supple and drier. My mom sold Mary Kay for 15 years and they always recommended and promoted the importance of good skin care at a young age. Caring for your skin is no different than caring for a car. Both need maintenance. Just because they both work, doesn't mean you are to neglect your skin. With elements of rain, wind, sun damage, UV rays and aging, it's important to combat these elements to maintain or improve skin's appearance. It's also important to hydrate your body from the inside too with drinking plenty of water.

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with a lot of this comment. A lot of our health starts from the inside - being fit, having a great diet, drinking enough liquids, being stress free. The solution is not 100% in the moisturizers or skin care products we use. But, those products sure help to counter dry and sensitive skin. I think that the less chemicals, the better. The more natural the product is, the better it is for our body. I, too, love Palmer's (and I hope I am talking about the same Palmer's). It is a cocoa butter that really does great things for dry and sensitive skin. I've also used olive oil (yes, the type you cook with!) and Bio Oil (which isn't as natural as one may think) to take care of my skin, as well.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on the skin product that you are buying. I think buying lotion for example is not really a waste, because our skin gets dry sometimes especially in those cold countries, so you need a product that can moisturize it. And the older you get, the more that you'll be needing skin products to be able to age gracefully.

15. jessicak2

jessicak2Banned

Threads:
    Which products you share with us that's superb.

16. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I don't think that they are completely a waste of money. It depends on the one we buy as they vary from useless ones to most effective and trusted ones. Not everyone are blessed with perfect skin that functions extremely well in producing enough of glands and to automatically moisturize the skin. Though everybody's skin does this an external agent is also required for boosting up this process. There are few products which serve this purpose very well and those are never a waste of money. Also during our work in the hot summer it is made mandatory to use a sunscreen with a good spf, if you really feel like keeping your skin protected.