Slightly Damaged

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by melapie • Jul 30, 2012.

1. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    A week ago, I saw this really cute top from a local boutique near my place. The fit on me was very nice and it made me feel girly. The thing is, it had a small tear on the left armpit. It seems the culprit was poor sewing quality. The saleslady offered it to me for half the price (since it was damaged). I was hesitant at first but I gave in and bought it. Then I had it repaired by a seamstress, apparently, the repair was so minimal that she didn't even accept my payment. Now it's good as new!

If it was you, would you buy a slightly damaged clothing for a discounted price? Or would you just discard it and think that it's not worth your money since it was damaged all along?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I would definitely...buy the top and get it repaired! In fact, I have done this in the past. If the glitch is small enough and can easily be repaired, I think it is a gift from the heavens. In fact, I get quite excited if I come across this sort of scenario. Enjoy your top - what an awesome find!

3. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think your purchase was at all a bad choice. Looks like you seen a bargain and took advantage of it, just like any clued - up shopper would. The most expensive piece of clothing I ever bought was a north sails top, which cost me over £150 ....It lasted me two weeks before it became damaged in the wash. I could have bought 10/20 cheaper tops that would have lasted me much much longer. I also bought an expensive shirt I got a few splashes of beer on that was impossible to remove because of the material. I wouldn't buy very expensive items anymore because I've had so many bad experiences with them afterwards.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My fiancee is amazing at this kind of stuff. She found a divine blouse, but it had a small stain and she informed the clerk, who then proceeded to give her a 15 percent discount. I remember she also wanted a pair of shoes for her birthday so I got it for her on my birthday and she noticed a little scratch at the bottom, but what did the owner do? Give her a 50 percent discount.

This has never happened to me, but if it did I would still buy it if there was some damage

5. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    If it was something I really wanted I would also buy it even though it was slightly damaged as long as it wasn't expensive in the first place. Unfortunately the shop assistants aren't so generous here where I stay as to give discounts on damaged goods.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    They should be because no one else wants it and if you want to buy it, the shop assisitant should give you half off or better. I would buy a damaged good because if I can fix it, that makes me save money, if I like what I was getting. A blouse, skirt, pants or any item of clothing would be a bargain, if you find something that you like. I would say buy it for yourself and no one would know it was damaged but you.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased damaged clothes before for a discount. You can really save a lot of money this way especially if it's an easy fix. Ross Dress for Less will give you a generous discount on damaged clothing. ;)

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea to buy a slightly damaged piece of clothing that you like at a discount and fix it yourself. It's not limited to just clothes. I got a discount on a coffee table that had a couple of scratches from being on display and then I just fixed the scratches with a paint marker.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I would absolutely do this. In a heartbeat. In fact, I got my wedding dress on discount that way.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wish more retail stores would do this. Usually it's only local businesses that can offer those sorts of discounts, which is great, but I also don't often visit them. I've gotten a few really good deals because of it, though.

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I too would definitely buy something slightly damaged (if it is easily reparable) at a discounted price. There is no guarantee, in any case, that a perfect item purchased at the full retail price will not wear away prematurely (with a button broken, or zip refusing to work) after wearing it a couple of times.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some good deals out there to be had if you do not mine doing a little repair work. I don,t think I would pay someone to do the repair unless the discount I got was really good. I have gone to second hand stores and purchased items with the tag still it with a small tear in the seam greatly discounted. That type of repair is quick and easy to do.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Those damaged items are the best and can save you a bundle of money. I love to shop that way myself. I can do the repair or have someone to do it at a reasonable price and still save. It can't get any better than that do you think? I don't mind fixing the problem myself after I saved on the item.

14. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I do purchase slightly damaged clothing if I get for 50-90% off the original purchase price. I also save money because I repair it myself. I learned how to sew at the age of 10 so when I purchase sometime that is slightly or severely damaged it works out perfectly. I am very frugal and I love a bargain. As long as I can repair it myself it works out perfectly.

15. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    That seems like a really good deal! My mom just loves these types of deals, so she goes to discount stores to find some slightly damaged pieces and lets me repair them, since I'm the only one who knows how to use a sewing machine.

16. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    If the repair was not in a visible spot like yours and an easy fix I agree you got a bargain! Sometimes stires arent so generous and still try to get close to full price for damaged goods.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's even better if you know how to do the repairs yourself. The rest of us always have to keep in mind whether the cost of repair will be cheaper or more expensive than the discount being offered.

18. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    It was a steal! If I were the saleslady, I would not give it to you with half the price. That's very good catch in your side. I think that the fix did not even took ten minutes right? Nice grab lady! :D

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would say grab it also. When I find damaged deals like that I always ask for a discount on the item. I can find a lot of things to decorate it with or just go ahead and sew it back the way it was. I always try to change it to make it my own and you would be surprised at what you can make it look like so it will be your own style. So grab the item and bargain the store down on it.