Small house movement

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Dec 2, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever heard of the "Small house movement", also known as the "Tiny house movement"? It's an architectural and social movement that advocates living simply in small homes.
    I think it's a wonderful idea, and am seriously thinking about creating one for myself.
    Have a look at some of the great designs:

What do you think? Could/would you live in a tiny house?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been following the boom in this and I would love one. I think it's great and the prices are good and allow you to move around or even to buy some land and put the house there. Some companies do bespoke and others sell you the kit to do it yourself. I know a few architects that can help me when the time arrives, but in the meantime, the prices are getting lower and you can buy them second hand too.

3. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I currently live in an 23 foot RV with 7 dogs, 2 cats, and my boyfriend. I think I can live anywhere. LMAO.

I've actually seen these houses before. They are pretty awesome and I thought about making one myself. Just waiting to get the money for the materials and the permit to build. I especially love the Yurt and know exactly how to build it. Not to mention... because it is not a permanent structure, I might not have to have a building permit for it. Which would be awesome.

#3Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and grandmother and I were actually just discussing this- I think it's great! We don't need all the extra junk that we hang onto, or the excessive amounts of space. We live in a moderately tiny apartment and I'm very happy with it. On the other hand, some of those "tiny houses" are SUPER tiny...I do need just a tiny bit of breathing and stretching room, you know what I mean? But overall I think the concept is a really great one and one worth encouraging future generations to get into.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Have you seen the Tiny House documentary on Netflix? It gives a good look at what it takes to build a tiny house from scratch. I really want one, but I don't think my boyfriend would go for it. Maybe when I am older and I don't want to shuffle around my house.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I really love the idea, but being a ballet dancer, it would be very hard for me to not have enough floor space to practice dance in some way. I would be happy in a studio apartment sized home, but probably would struggle with something as compact as the tiny homes I have seen online. I have lived with a roll up mat for a bed for 2 years now, so I can save a lot of space there, but I still need one room that has a bit of floor space where I won't kick something.

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I first found out about the small house movement from the YouTube section of Good Mythical Morning. There was a mention of the movement, but it appears that the movement itself is not a revolutionary movement. The challenge was to be having a married couple living in a small house. Would that be possible with a very small living space? I could probably work in small place, but I will not be living in it. With the small house movement, the trend is to have the house portable and functional.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think this empowers people after the housing crash, so they can have their own place without getting into too much debt. There are many people living out of RVs or renting and moving so often and living out of their cars, this can help them finally settle. Lot's of these tiny houses can have an upstairs too and if I have one, I will have a deck surrounding it that can fold up. That can give you extra room to sit outside.

I have a friend who had to sell her house and is living in an RV and as she is older and alone, I think she should get a tiny house, but as she is used to a 3 bedroom house to herself, it's still a shock to her.

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While I can definitely see the economic benefits to this movement --and the financial ones - it's just not for me. I lived in a lot of small houses and apartments growing up and while I am just starting out now --I have a daughter and a husband and we plan on having more children some day and I think I would much rather have a larger home so that things don't feel crowded. I like for everyone to have a space to call their own. I think that is important no matter what size home you live in.