Smartphones vs. Desktop Internet Access

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by mxc019 • Oct 29, 2013.

?

How do you access the internet the most?

1. Smartphone/Other Mobile Device

25.0%
  2. Desktop/Laptop

75.0%
  1. mxc019

mxc019New Member

Threads:
    Since the invention of the smartphones more and more people are tapping into the internet using a mobile device. It seems accessing the internet through desktop or laptop computers have become obsolete. Do you think this is true or do you have another thought in mind?

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    No way! I do use my phone a lot to look up things, but not nearly as much as my laptop. There are so many benefits to using a laptop over a phone to surf the internet. The notable ones are the screen size, lack of data usage, and speed.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A smartphone will never replace a laptop or desktop computer. Laptop and desktops are faster and more powerful. Internet access on my smartphone is good for checking my email and social networking.

When I was on a long bus trip, I downloaded the Netflix app and watched movies on my phone. I thought the screen would be too small, but I adjusted. But a smartphone isn't good for productivity purposes.

4. Inconsitency

InconsitencyNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really think smartphones will ever replace laptops or desktop computers. I feel like computers give me more freedom, as smartphones are very limited, as their Operating System is less flexible. Tablets are gradually making their way into replacing computers however, as they are now running Windows (e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro). These tablets are really interesting, as they are basically laptops, with detachable keyboards, but they are in turn, quite expensive.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never access the internet on my phone. I even took that option off. I really LIKE stepping away from the internet.. to be present where ever I am.

6. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    For sheer power and actual work related internet usage, the desktop wins out in my opinion. When it comes to browsing time killer websites, banging out emails, checking Facebook, watching YouTube, i do use my phone more. Even though more of my serious internet usage is on my desktop, i am constantly on my phone throughout the day. If im watching TV I'm checking the phone during a commercial break. If I'm driving I'm checking my email or Reddit while at a stop light.

So, although my phone sees more overall usage based on time, my desktop is my real internet machine.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that smartphones and mobile devices were manufactured to satisfy a demand; the need of being connected on the go.

However you can't compare a laptop and desktop speed to access the web (and do everything else) with the use of mobile devices instead.

Even those with full-featured keywords are nothing if you put two persons to texting. You can be the faster typing on your mobile device, but I doubt someone can beat the speed of a typist using a traditional keyboard.

Personally I only use mobile devices to surf the web when I'm on the go or somewhere else where I don't have my laptop next to me.

8. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Even if they develop a smartphone with all the benefits of desktop or laptops on it, I will still use a desktop computer. I have an affinity to large monitors so smartphones are a no no.

9. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Many people access the internet with smartphones, but their main access it still via laptop or desktop. I think it can be compared, using the net with a smartphone is mainly something on the go for a limited time while on the laptop you can see things with another dimension.

10. violatoR

violatoRNew Member

Threads:
    I chose the desktop option. I find it really hard to navigate trough web-sites on my phone, unless the web-site has a mobile design which is not always the case. On the PC on the other hand I can freely browse any site and read any text I like without having to use two hands to zoom in and waste time, so it's more time-saving compared to phones as well. Not to mention that it's a bit tricky when it comes down to speed. If I'm not connected to any wireless networks and my 3G is not working properly for whatever reason, it might take ages for me to connect to my favourite pages and that indeed is very irritating.

11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Desktop PCs are what I use to access the internet 95% of the time, having a bigger computer monitor and the power of a keyboard/mouse makes it a whole lot more easier and faster to find what you're after. Smartphones are amazing but the screen is just so small and tapping at everything is a real pain, it is a lifesaver for emergencies though when you need to find something out ASAP.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A desktop is quite old fashioned in the modern world of smartphones, tablets, iphones etc. I don't own a smartphone but I have used one and it is just not the same experience when browsing online. I prefer to look at a bigger screen, not a tiny phone screen. Each to their own but smartphones are not for me.

13. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I don't think this is a fair question. Smartphones, desktops and laptops all have a different but important role to play. Smartphones for one afford you the convenience, of checking email anytime and anywhere without any hassles. But lets be honest not everything can be viewed properly on a smartphone and certain applications still require that you have a laptop or a desktop.

I am currently using a Windows smartphone, Lumia 925 as great as it is, there are still a lot of limits to it. The laptop might be big and tedious to carry but its still the most convenient out of the three.

14. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Gradually the internet service provided by companies is improving, but its performance is far from being optimal. For this reason, the connections established through our notebook or desktop pc have much advantage. Notwithstanding this, there is a reality that we can't ignore: the Internet services aimed at smartphones and tablet are multiplying and gradually are gaining adherents among users.

In my case, the 3G and Wi-Fi provided by local companies isn't very good and that is why I am forced to rely on the PC or notebook to take advantage of all the benefits of a quick, safe and efficient connection.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I almost never use my phone to access the net, because I don't have a WiFi (latency issues), and data plans cost way too much for too little bandwidth here. So, PC it is for me. :)

16. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I spend more time using the internet on my laptop, but I only use my laptop at my house. I take my phone with me everywhere I go so I'd say my phone is more useful for accessing the internet because it is much more portable. My laptop however, is much more powerful when it comes to loading websites.

17. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    For me I still use a laptop because I don't have a smart phone. I got one a couple times and both times the things didn't work right and I couldn't figure out how to use the thing lol. I just need a simple phone without all the bells and whistles to confuse me lol....but even basic phones now you can get on the internet.

18. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I use my iPhone more then anything. I have yet to be able to fit my laptop into my pocket. So, the smart phone is the obvious choice for me.

I need the internet everywhere I go. I use my phone more then most people do. I hardly ever put it down. There is always work to be done. When I am home I like to use the laptop to watch movies/sport.

19. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I use my laptop for most of my internet browsing. It's more powerful than my phone and has a better web experience. I really like the internet capabilities on my smartphone as well. It's very convenient because I can take it anywhere I go.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Obsolete" is definitely not the right word. I think it's not even applicable. There are simply just many ways to access the internet now unlike before when phones were just limited to only to sending text messages. People are just using their phones to surf, but I'm sure everyone will still prefer browsing over the pc or laptop, because smartphones are still underpowered as compared to the pc.