Sneaking Food Into Movie Theatres?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SLTE • Nov 30, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Full disclosure: I sometimes bring food with me into movie theatres. Not too often, but I have, on occasion, bought some cheap candy from a convenience store, stuck it in my pocket or my wife's purse, and brought it out just as the movie's starting. Seems disingenuous, but Movie Tickets already cost so much, and concession stand prices are ridiculous.

Who else stands with me on sneaking snacks into theatres to save money? Come on, let's see some hands.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a usual practice here to bring food inside the theater. Although it is discouraged, as per the signage in the theater entrance, people still bring snacks like nuts and chips. In fairness, we buy drinks in the theater snack bar and often we also buy their popcorn. I sometimes see people eating KFC chicken inside the theater. It's not hard to notice because the aroma of the chicken pervades the atmosphere in the theater.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:You know what I never had to sneak food into the theater. When I was little we bought pop corn, hot dogs and soda at the theater and loved it, but I wasn't buying so I don't know how the bite of the cost would affect me. When I grew up we stopped going to the theater when Star Wars was showing and that's a long time ago. It got to expensive for us so we just stopped going to the movie houses. We get our pop corn from the grocers and watch movies at home on television.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take some food when I go to the movies, mostly candy to snack on. We eat before we go into the movie. Snacks have gotten so expensive I do not purchase any snacks at the movies.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have sneaked in some snacks. I don't care what it is at all. Chips, candy, sandwiches, pop, what ever will fit into my purse. And if I'm wearing my long winter coat it's better because it has extra deep pockets. Maybe if the movie theater didn't mark up the food so much it wouldn't be a problem buying from them more often. It also doesn't help that the last movie theater I went to was right next to a dollar store and a big grocery store. Guess where I'm going for snacks?

6. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Not only did I face this exact same situation about a year ago, when we did try to buy something at the concessions stand that we didn't think was available, the girl behind the counter told us that another store in the mall had what we were looking for at a much lower price. I don't think anyone really wants you to buy from the theatre itself except for the owners.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat anything when I'm watching movies. I hate distractions and for me chewing or drinking anything whilst watching a movie is a distraction. I do agree though, sneaking snacks into the theater can save you some money and if you regularly watch movies in theaters, you'd save a decent amount of money by the end of the year.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some places are so strict, I went grocery shopping and they wouldn't let me take my groceries in so they looked after it for me once. I don't think it's worth the embarrassment of being told off for sneaking in snacks, maybe a bar of chocolate but I don't see the point ruining the experience by doing that.

I prefer just to watch the film and not be distracted by food, but on a group outing, it is part of the fun to share food. In that case, just split the cost and buy food if you really want to.

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually bring a small bag of candy and a water bottle in my purse to the movie theater with me. The concessions prices are sky high! Sometimes my husband and I will share a small popcorn during movie, but I try to avoid the concessions stand if I can.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bringing food in theatres is indeed common in my area, I used to do that as well when I used to watch movies in the cinema. I usually bring junk food and soda with me when I watch a movie.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's that terrible to sneak in small packs of candy but if the theater doesn't allow it maybe bigger items like chips are crossing the line. Otherwise I think a pack or two of candy from a convenience store shouldn't be judged too harshly since it's something people carry with them in their bags and pockets on a normal day anyway. For me, it's only when it's pushed too far that it becomes unfair to the theater.

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, definitely sneak in snacks. When I was little, the movie theater we went to actually had a soda machine right outside one of the entrances. It's like they wanted you to sneak in drinks lol. Nowadays, I've got 3 kids so it gets expensive buying popcorn. The only time I buy concessions is when were seeing a special movie the kiddos are really excited about. Or we just sneak in some water and buy the $1 hot dogs.

13. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do this all the time. I find the prices of drinks, popcorn and chocolates at the theatre absolutely outrageous. I carry a fairly large purse so I can usually fit in some juice boxes for the kids and some candy or chocolates. The last two times we have gotten the popcorn at the theatre it was stale and soggy. Not impressed when you have just spent over $25 on drinks and popcorn that would normally cost you about $3.00 had you bought it at home.