So What Do YOU *HATE* about Facebook?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mythman • Aug 3, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, there's kind of a disconnect there: I mean, people 'say things they don't mean all the time'; but they were able to show that by their actions (immediately in-counter-to their words), but one can't SEE those clarifying actions and are left with the LIES left on Facebook!

Again, it's the limited scope: before FB you had 'the whole rest of your life-actions' to stand for "who you are," but with FB (and the `Net as a whole), your actions can't change 'how you look online' until somebody (usually you yourself) writes about them :p

It's sorta like this forum, but somewhere the 'caveat' that "these are just your opinions & not your 'soul' or your 'full identity' or something" gets lost---very harmful to the ego.

2. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I hate that Facebook just allows some people to just post there life away I mean sometimes when I am on there I am literally trying just to do some business and manage my pages and sometimes I just see some people on there that just post all day and just waste their time. Also sometimes the ads kind if bug me at times I guess it comes with the popularity the company begins to sell out I guess.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many things that I hate about Facebook. Much more things than I will most likely post in this thread, because there are so many things that I have even forgotten some. So I will stick to one thing for now. The thing that I would say that I hate the most about Facebook right now are the messages, and the way that the site seems to encourage drama in people's lives.

Like the messages for instance. Letting the message sender know whether or not the recipient has read the message or not is just stirring up trouble. There seems to be less and less privacy involved with these websites. And do not even get me started on the mobile and tablet versions of Facebook. They have been proven to be spy applications, and you are the one who is being spied on.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't let people post on my wall so some people then find anything I share and start writing personal comments and messages. They don't realize everyone they shares it with sees it. I shared a quote of Robin Williiams and lots of my friend shared it with theirs and an idiot friend decides to use the post to ask where I am and to help her fix her ipad problem, thus sharing it with all my friends friends.

Yes, the fact you can see when people have read a message is annoying as they expect a response if they know. It can work both ways, you know they have received it at least, but you can tell when someone has logged on usually.

There are too many sponsored ads now in my feed and one's that aren't appropriate. I didn't mind on the side bar, but now it takes over my feed.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I know. It's really cluttered. It's almost like they expect you to spend all day on it looking down your wall.

As much as I hate Facebook, I'm not sure I agree with this one. They have the read receipts on plenty of other instant message programs. MySpace had this too when it was popular. People just need to stop taking it so personally.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    For a good amount of time, there was no read or seen message. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking to anyone, or explaining myself to anyone. So then I will have read a message and then not respond, and then that'll cause problems in a relationship, because the other person thinks that I am then ignoring them, which is just unwarranted drama. Facebook knows this. They do a few underhanded tactics actually. And the fact that myspace used to do the seen thing is not justification for just how messy Facebook is when it comes to creating drama.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I may have said it before in this very forum but I feel the urge to share my ideas again in defense of Facebook, which may have been misunderstood by many people. I don't blame Facebook or its creators. I'm sure they created this social network without any harmful intention. However, with all kinds of people using it, from the good to the bad to altruistic to the utterly twisted, it's no wonder we see a plethora of remarkable and terrible things happening through Facebook.

8. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really mind Facebook that much because the only time I use it is when I'm messaging friends and I don't really update anything in there, I don't even have a profile picture or any general information except for my name which is still not my real name. But what really brought my blood to a boil was what Deathbyprayer said, the Messenger app.

Although the app itself isn't that bad, it's really annoying that Facebook would have to shove it in which is annoying if you just want to check on messages and browser Facebook at the same time, you have to switch back and forth.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    There is an article about the application, and it goes into detail regarding all of the things that this app can and will do with your device. It is quite worrying that people are fine with being spied on and having their privacy thoroughly invaded, when they simply think that they are just keeping up with friends.

10. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah but like I said they use it in instant message programs too and I believe you can't turn it off there either.
    Also if a person is naive to think that means you're ignoring them then they may think that anyway no matter what. They could just see that you're online and think "why haven't they read my message?"

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Initially, when I joined Facebook, everything seemed great. But now everything seemed so boring and it felt really annoying. Also, the fact that Facebook is known to get the personal data from the person' s account and their computer which makes me even more scared to use the Facebook. I think it is very important that one learns how to effectively use Facebook for the publicity of their products or other things, rather than just browsing around with it.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Not necessarily. I never appear online. I have it turned off at all times. And if you are a Facebook user, you will know that just because there is an online signal next to someone's name, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are on facebook at the time. I am not talking about those other instant messaging services. I am talking about Facebook, as this is a thread about why I hate Facebook. Nobody is going to think that I am ignoring them unless I actually ignore them, especially after having seen that I have seen their message and haven't responded.

13. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I dislike lots of things about Facebook. The number one thing I dislike is how it has become the primary way I connect with the people I want in my life, but I can't figure out how to avoid connecting with people and companies I don't want in my life. The messenger app may or may not be the devil it is purported to be, but I just don't want my emails mined for marketing information. I get that nothing on the internet is private, and I don't type anything terribly personal, but that doesn't mean I want to deal with the whole world all the time. It's extremely convenient for sharing pictures of my baby with friends and family, for example, but I don't think many people even want to see video of him sitting up. You can set something for only certain people to view, but then if they "like" or comment on the item, it spreads.

I'm also sick of bathroom or car selfies. If there's nothing interesting in the background, you don't need to change the picture of your face. I have friends who literally post a new picture of their face every day. I'm sick of food pictures unless there's a recipe or a link. I can't stand vague statements like "feeling lost" where the person is just begging for attention, then when you ask what's wrong, you get more vagueness. I'm tired of bragging. If your life is always fabulous, have a heart and back off for those of us who are slogging through three hundred and sixty mundane days just to get to a few interesting ones. But, if you go somewhere interesting, please tell me about why it is interesting, don't just post a picture of your face with a blurry monument in the background. I could go on for days.

14. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Why hate, I just don't participate! It's that simple folks. No man or woman forced or threatened any of you, to join Facebook or even think about it all. Also, why bother going about hating something that isn't even alive or tangible? It's like yelling at a cartoon character and expecting it to reciprocate some action or expression of emotion back, but in the end, it's nothing more than a 2-D creation that "people" give meaning to. You all have so many spins around the sun before you die, my advice, don't bother wasting it on debating over intangible things, seriously.

#74Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not big on Facebook at all. I signed up, because family and friends were pushing me to in order to keep in touch. It was nice to find some old friends on there, but I really don't want every person I've ever known always knowing what's going on in my life. I mean, there's nothing really exciting or whatever, but I'm just a private person. I don't give out much information, but my friends feel free to post things about me and add pictures and stuff. I could do without all that. I'm not really sure there's a way to take it all down now though, but I really feel like Facebook is way too intrusive, both the system itself and the people on it.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    You have a good point. But when many of the people that you have in your life use it as a primary way to communicate with the people in their lives, then you can get sucked into it pretty easily. And if you just stop using it altogether, it kind of seems like you have vanished off of the face of the earth shockingly enough lol. Or even worse, people begin to phone my mobile phone, which - to be honest - I'd rather just type chat on facebook than talk to anyone over the phone.

17. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:

18. aimeep80

aimeep80New Member

Threads:
    I don't like the fact that you can no longer completely hide your facebook profile from showing up in the "people you may know" section anymore. You were able to do this a while back if I am not mistaken. You can make your profile completely private, but I have a profile that I want to be completely hidden from anyone. It would be so nice if Facebook would allow us to still do this.

19. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah I know this is a thread about Facebook. I just know that the concept is not exclusive to Facebook so I can't really say I hate that about Facebook. Then again I guess it helps that no one really messages me anyway. I just think that people are too sensitive so I can't really blame Facebook for that. I guess though that there are things that I hate about Facebook that are probably a problem somewhere else too so in a way maybe I get what you mean.

Yeah you can't just not use Facebook. It seems like it's everywhere. I don't know why so many sites force you to login to it. What's wrong with logging in the traditional way?
    Also I think it's better to hate a thing than a person. Hate is a very strong word so I try to avoid using it on other people and individual animals but if you hate a thing, that's okay because it doesn't have any feelings.

20. DreekLass

Threads: