Soap leftovers

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When bars of soap are almost finished, getting the small pieces to stick together (in order to completely use them up) can be challenging, and they certainly don't look all that appealing in the guest bathroom. If you stick soap bits together randomly, the gooey mass tends to hold dirty soap in the crevasses and tends to fall apart. So what do you do with the leftovers? Do you throw them away, or do you have some other use for them?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'll just rub the small piece into the next bar that I am going to use. It takes about four or five blendings while washing your hands with the new bar for it to really take and stick, but it usually works, it just leaves a little bump where the old bar is on the new one.

3. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I eat it!!! Just kidding. LOL.
    I have a small container where I put left-over soap that I could use for just washing hands. I do not buy the idea of pasting the left-over soap to a new bar specially when they are different in color and in scent.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to throw them away. I think they look bit odd and weird to have them in the bathroom when everything else is so new and maintained. I think it is ridiculous that people actually stick the soap together. I think it requires a lot of patience which I never have.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to mix soap of different colors together. I know that this can prove to be very challenging especially if one of the soaps is too hard. Just make sure that you will mold the soap when you are washing your hands.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    You could toss them onto a bath sponge, give it a nice crush/rubbing and you have lots of lather to shower with. Most of the soap silvers should have been used up by then, the trace amounts you can just throw away.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I just mush them together and keep using it until there is nothing left. I never really worried about the appearance, but I don't have a lot of guests. If someone is coming over I will get out a new one they can use, but save the pieces to finish off myself. I never through any soap away that seems really wasteful to me.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I never really thought about how to get rid of soaps. I think I just use them up until I need to get a new one. I rarely get the soap bars, because they are very slippery and the ones I usually use are transparent ones that are handmade and for the face. :D They don't run out as quickly as the other soap bars, and they don't give too much of foam.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I don't try to mix the leftover with the new bar. What I just usually do is to put it on its own container beside the sink (yes, I have a small container just for leftovers) and use it till its gone. Always does the job especially for just washing your hands.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that either they segregate the soap by placing the leftover one in it's own container to be used for solely washing hands, or they make it stick to the new soap. But sometimes, I notice that they also throw it away.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    LOL! you're funny, I would be very afraid of anyone who eats soap. LOL, I agree with you, I really don't like the idea of using a soap that has several other soaps apart of it, the appeal and scent will just not be as great as the soap with one fragrance and tone.

12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    actually - I tend to use the same type of bar soap every time. I will actually save the bits, melt them down and pour them into decorative molds.... that I can then pop out and use as decorative hand soaps in my bathroom.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The little pieces of soap that are left are put into a container that has warm in to make a liquid hand soap. I shake the bottle up every once in awhile and add more water as more of the soap disolves as the hand soap is used.

14. saastil

saastilNew Member

Threads:
    You can melt the bits down and combine them, but what I do is take a knee-length nylon stocking, cut the top off, and put the bits in the toe part and tie it off. That way you have a little scrubby that looks a lot better than bits of soap and really does the trick!

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a container too! Mine's by the kitchen sink and I put any soap slivers in there so I can use them when I wash my hands in the kitchen. I always keep the soap in the bathroom updated as I often have guests, but I'm the only person who washes their hands in the kitchen.

It might seem cheap, I know, but I'm on a tight budget right now and need to save every penny I can.

16. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    When I used to use bar soap, I would save the scraps until I had a pretty good amount. Then i would put them into the blender and add some water. Then on it would go until the concoction was smooth. Sometimes I would have to add more water a little at a time. I would put it in and old pump bottle and set it by the sink for washing hands. At times the color of the mix was a little strange, but it did a good job on hands.

17. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    That is good idea of recycling soap, it saves money and nothing goes to waste, i willl be sure to try it, though I just have to get a special bendor just for the soaps.

18. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I don't really use soap. I use handwash and facewash but my husband has this weird idea that using soap helps clean better. He never really gives me the chance to do anything about the little leftover bits because he throws them away instantly. I've actually seen him throw while bars away because he didn't like the smell or the company.

19. davidweeb

davidweebNew Member

Threads:
    If I were you better get rid of them best :)

20. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I just throw them way. It is a matter of hygiene, so I am really careful with that kind of matters. Soap isn't that expensive anyway so I throw the leftovers away just to be sure.