Soap or shower gel?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Jul 22, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using shower gel for quite a few years now, I just find it more practical and easy to use, not to mention that there is a wife offer on scents and that pleases me too. Do you feel that soaps are something of the past and that almost no one uses them today or there is still a place for soaps? What about prices, what do you think it's cheaper, the soap or the gel?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    C'mon, have you seen the plethora of soap bars on the supermarkets? I think that soaps will never be obsolete at all. People are so used to using them ever since they were invented, so I doubt they would stop using them and switch permanently to shower gels. I think shower gels are more expensive than soaps too.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah; I haven't 'compared prices,' but bar-soap seems more cheaply-available than liquid soap (which is what I use, mainly because ... well, you're trying to 'wash the dirt away'; and the bars seem to 'rub the dirt in' more)

4. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    Some combination of me being lazy and pretty packaging has led to me being almost exclusive to shower gels. I still use bar soaps occasionally (usually when visiting a family member that has bar soaps, but being in college and sharing a bathroom makes carrying around and storing bar soap inconvenient, plus I love the way my current shower gel smells and I have yet to find a bar soap that compares.

5. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I am a shower gel kinda girl all the way. I love all the different scents from Bath & Body Works. I also agree with the comment above: I just feel cleaner when washing with shower gel rather than bar soap. I don't think bar soaps will ever go away and they might be cheaper but I very much prefer shower gels, even if its just the store brand stuff from Wal-Mart.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always just use soap bars because I'm more used to it. The few times I've gotten to use shower gel, I kind of felt like the gel was still on me even though I've been showering it all off for a while. Granted, I may just have had the wrong brand, but I've gotten to try it multiple times now with a couple of different brands and I almost always have the same experience. I admit that it's a lot more convenient, though, and also you won't have to worry about sharing the soap with anyone else, and also I'm guessing it's much easier to finish all the way as opposed to soaps that you'd have to compromise with once you reach the core, so I'd maybe consider it if I find a good enough brand that agrees with me.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I used to only use shower gel, but lately have become quite fond of homemade soaps. I think the fragrances are unique and like the idea of supporting small businesses that make their own soap. I have a soap dish to store it in and I have to make sure I don't let it sit in the steamy shower because if I do it melts right in front of me. I think shower gel is more economical but for the time being I prefer soap.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, there are plenty of soaps in the supermarket, no question there, but who is using them? Any of the people answering in this thread are using soap to bathe? Even if soaps are cheaper we just go with the shower gel because it's way more convenient that rubbing with the soap, that old news in my opinion.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Many people use soaps still. You'd really be surprised, especially when you're getting 3 or 4 for a dollar. Growing up, we barely ever had any body wash just soap because it was cheaper. A lot of men use bars of soap as well. A lot of my husbands family uses bars of soap, so a lot of people still do or they wouldn't sell it. However, I use gel, it is easier, convenient, and you don't have to clean up soap scum.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think bar soap looks pretty on display in a soap dish. So people might be buying it for that reason. And bars of soap are very portable. But I really prefer body wash, which you can buy either cheaply or expensively, it's up to you. I just love the way they foam up on those web sponge things. And all the different scents they come in are amazing.

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I use shower gel. It's more hygienic than soap bars. With soap bars if they slip my hand and fall I just throw them away but I don't trust my partner to do that. Soap bars just gross me out.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never liked shower gels and nothing has changed over the years. I use natural soaps with organic, plant based ingredients. As a matter of fact, I mostly brush my body with a soft brush and only use soap when it's needed. My skin is very sensitive to any kind of commercial products containing paraffin, parabens, colours, or any of the many unpronounceable things that they put into commercial gels and soaps.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer soap as shower gel irritates my skin. I don't know why but I tried it for a few days when I was a teenager and my skin was so itchy when I was done. It was an uncomfortable feeling and left a bad impression on me. I never used it since that moment. In terms of prices I would say soap is cheaper only because I never care to look for shower gel when I go to the store.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a soap kind of girl... I like shower gels because they have them in nicer scents, packaging and stuff, but soaps are so much easier to use, and I find they clean better. I always have both in my shower, so when I feel like it I will use shower gel, but 90% of the time I reach out for the soap bar.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is actually interesting, but I don't believe you are allergic to shower gels in general, most likely it was a particular brand or scent that gave you the irritation and now you don't use it anymore.

I used to have the soap bar as well, but I never get to use it, so I got rid of it.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm still a soap person myself.
    They are much easier to apply, are cheaper and more cost-effective, so I don't really see any reason to switch to shower gels.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you serious about that Strykstar? Soaps are not easier to apply IMO, on the contrary, not to mention that they are not very hygienic when you live with more people because everyone will use the same soap in the intimate parts you know.

18. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I use shower gel for the most part, but I always keep a bar of soap handy. My skin is very sensitive and I'm allergic to a lot of things, fragrances in particular. So I always keep a hypoallergenic bar of soap to wash the more private areas.

19. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a soap fan until I tried using shower gels. I'm happy to report that I've been converted to shower gel user and I only use soap to wash my hands. I find that shower gels leave a nicer long lasting smell after usage when compared with soap bars. That being said, I'm still keeping soap in the house, it's cheap after all, but I rarely use it.

20. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Shower gel for me. I am allergic to a number of soaps. So I have always used shower gel or some sort of liquid soap. I am allergic to bars of Dove soap, so I will always stick with shower gel.