Social Media Validation

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by TPhoenix • Oct 24, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    In the social media world, sometimes we shy away from what people think of what we post, especially when it comes to photos. How confident are you in your personal pictures when you post them to social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram? Are you usually hesitant to post personal pictures of yourself for any particular reason? Do you not like how your photos come out when you take them? Are you the type to depend on how much likes your picture gets in order to validate yourself and your pictures?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never post pictures, and not only because Facebook - whose owner has had a hand n funding the facial recognition systems that are coming into play - is way too nosy, and doesn't ever really let you delete anything. But secondly I am not all that photogenic. I hate that I am pretty in real life but I cannot capture that on photo most of the time. Even if I could though, I doubt that I would post a lot of pictures of myself online.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think privacy is more important than any 'validation' as most people who post don't think twice about posting photos. Many people I know don't post photos but that's a personal preference. Most of mine are private and I don't allow tagging so it's not a matter of how you perceive yourself, but controlling your intellectual property.

I find this a very strange question as the whole point of social media is to create an image and persona, therefore every word or image you post is a reflection of you, so naturally one would consider it before posting it. Some may be how you would like to be seen rather than how you actually are.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Many people would disagree with you, although I am not one of them. I agree that privacy is a lot more important than getting validation. But these people have a void to fill, and they will do almost anything to have it filled, hence why they risk their privacy amongst other things in order to get social media validation. How many times have we heard about people posting incriminating stuff on Vine or Twitter or facebook, all for some likes??? People are even willing to risk their very freedom.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hence most of these people who post their parties or holidays end up with gatecrashers and their homes being burgled, to me that's sheer stupidity rather than validation. Most sensible people craft their image with selected posts, quotes and photos, I guess the ones who need attention have their own issues or don't understand that photos can be stolen and manipulated or can be used as evidence against them.

I ended up winning a court case as the the defendant said he was in X and his wife had posted a photo of him dated on that day elsewhere and she was a lawyer!

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never post private pictures of my life on social media websites. I promote my art work on various sites, but that's how far it goes. I can't imagine blurting out personal details, supported by even more personal pictures, on these sites. Some of my acquaintances do just that on a daily basis, and I always ask them to respect my privacy and not post any pictures or information about me on Facebook, unless it relates to my work. The last thing I want is for the whole world to know where I live, where I spend my holidays, and what preferences I have.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. I don't really care if my picture or post doesn't get any likes or comments at all. I post those things because I like them and not for everybody else. I don't understand the reason why some people ask for likes. It's not like they will become better persons or anything. I guess there are just some people who are too vain.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL!!! I haven't heard of anyone on my friends list being burgled or anything like that yet, but it is not that far of a stretch for me to believe and see how that would and could happen. Besides, it isn't like the people on my friends list would actually post about being robbed if it happened, so how would I know?? I think that these sensible people that you speak of are dying out and quickly. Websites like facebook have become popularity contests. Who can outdo who - even with that of quotes.

Don't you just love these social media sites when they result in you winning court cases lol??? These people have no one to blame but themselves!!!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never posted a picture of my whole face. I hate the site of myself in photos and 1000 likes would never convince me of anything other than that way too many people were looking at me. I actually never got any validation from social media when I used to use it. One thing I did get was a lot of fear that I would somehow end up stalked even if I has the highest privacy settings.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You see, to spare me from all these unnecessary self-deprecating thoughts, I limit myself to using SNS for communication and business purposes. I like posts that I like. I post things that are educational or worth learning from but only if I do have something to say. I don't like to post selfies or anything that comes off as blatant self-promotion. Privacy is something of utmost importance to me. As long as I know what and who matter to me, then I don't need social media for any validation whatsoever. By avoiding these bad social media habits - excessive selfies, showing off and ranting - I'm preserving my dignity as a human being. As long as I know I have people I can count on, a Higher Being who looks after me and a talent that society can benefit from, then I'm valid. Just as everyone is.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Not that I am or used to be a hacker or anything, but I have dabbled in the ways of hacking when I was younger, and I know that Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram stalking takes place. Many people do not see the danger of putting their photos up, but there is danger. Especially when you have people commenting on those photos; personal details are divulged and relationship histories are divulged and that is a lot of information for hackers to use to manipulate and even hack someone, not to mention stealing identities. People need to be very careful.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have friends who are actors and people have taken their photos and pretended to be them and set up Facebook accounts so they could be friends of the actual person. A few have had stalkers, so photos can be manipulated and can end up on websites that you would rathet your parents didn't see. A few of my agencies would post my photos as it was my profession, though now I check all the time in case any are around still.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't get it. People have stolen actors' photos so that they could be friends with the very same actor whose picture they have stolen??? or so that they could be friends of people who the actor is friends with?? If so, then that is why it is wise for anybody of a high profile - or anyone at all - to hide their friends list and make it viewable to nobody but themselves. That was another trick that I learned. If someone was trying to get into a private profile, all they would have to do is track the profile's friends list and do a bit of research to see if that person had friends who had deactivated their accounts and then get photos of the deactivated account's pictures elsewhere on the web, setup a Fake FB, and then say that their previous account had been hacked and that that is why they are adding everyone again, when in actual fact they were not the person that they were claiming to be.