Solid State Drive

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lovemwaf • Apr 15, 2014.

1. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I have been hearing about SSD's and im not totally convinced on whether they would really add value to my life and so i wanted to enquire from someone who has used them before. Would you say that an SSD would improve your computer that much or it is another marketing technique.

2. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I don't have one in any of my computers, but I have used them with SSD's installed. From my experience, computers with them boot up and launch programs much faster. If you have the extra money and want the benefits then go ahead and get one. But, be aware that you get much less for your money than a traditional hard drive. If you have tons of music, movies, games, etc. , then a hard drive is pretty much the only way to go.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well in a sense yes, you will definitely see improvement when it comes to boot up speed and launching applications, it will be a whole lot faster compared to using a regular HDD. As a graphic designer and video editor, I find installing a SSD in my computer helps me whole lot on my projects. But if you're planning on installing a SSD and you don't really have any solid use for it, save for the speedy boot up, then I suggest you just stick to the regular. SSD's are pricey and limited on space.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    SSD's have many improvements over HDD's. They do provide a much faster booting speed, even on the oldest computers you'll notice that your computer boots faster. Speaking of old computers, it significantly speeds up the performance of older computers, which is great. For faster computers, it helps games load faster, and programs to boot faster (like Photoshop). They're also doing better at the whole "not dying fast" thing, and are much cheaper per GB. So generally it's worth it to get one.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't a solid state drive on this computer but I have used them. It is one of those things that I will consider for my next machine as it is faster and they are a little more permanent in that they will survive longer because they have no moving parts. Large solid state drives are harder to find and can be much more expensive. Unless you are on the market for a new hard disk, I wouldn't buy one just yet. In a few years they will likely become more common and their price will come down. In addition, they will get larger and may eventually replace all hard disks.

6. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    In one word, they are snappy. Everything works faster, and not only works faster, everything looks like it's working faster. It's one of the best aditions you can do to a today's computer. Because mechanical hard drives started to be the bottleneck of all new computers and it's ractified with SSD drives. PCI-e SSD drives are even faster.