Solid State Drives

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mrpotatohead • Aug 18, 2012.

1. mrpotatohead

mrpotatoheadNew Member

Threads:
    Are solid state drives worth buying over SATA drives? My concern is, is it sufficiently faster than SATA drives to justify the price? Or is it currently expensive and worth waiting for the price to drop?

2. neovlad

neovladMember

Threads:
    I think they are still too expensive to be used instead of SATA drives. Solid drives might be a bit quicker but the computers now are not fast enough anyway. You will not notice a difference in the solid state or SATA drives so just get the SATA one and save money.

3. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    I would have to agree with neovlad here. Some of the prices on the SSDs are quite frankly insane considering that the average PC will most likely "bottleneck" the drive anyway. My advice would be to keep with the SATA for now until SSDs become more wide-spread and fairly priced.

4. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Definitely wait for the price to decrease, you'll be kicking yourself in a year or two when you realize how much prices have decreased if you you buy a solid state at their present levels. I'm sure the difference in speed is close enough to negligible unless you'll be using the storage for more intensive reasons.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Mixed feelings on this as I've had 4 SATA drives fail on me in the past 3 years - loosing quite a bit of personal data. Some of them were in my computers while others were my backup drives. The thing I like about the SSD is that there isn't really anything in them to "break". I've moved a few times, and I don't know if the knocking around of packing and moving damaged them or they just got run down - but they just stopped working, and data recovery services are very expensive. It's not really saving you money in the long run if you later have to pay someone to try and get the data off of a failed SATA drive.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Solid state drives are way faster than SATA drives. If you have used a computer that has a SSD,then you will understand how fast it can be. The can boot the operating system under 15 seconds. There is no debate on which is faster, SSD will win always.

7. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to say that SSDs (Solid state drives) are a lot faster then the traditional SATA drives. These drives do not involve any moving parts and hence are able to access data stored on them very quickly and efficiently. I also recently upgraded to a SSD and I have to say that my computer has gotten a lot faster then before. The windows boot time has decreased considerably.

8. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    You would only use a SSD to help speed up booting times and the load times of applications. It will only be useful if you use it as the main hard drive for your programs. Considering the size to cost ratio of SSD, you might as well keep SATA for storage and SSD for programs. However, even then, the only time I ever seen people use SSD practically was for the server. For backup, we use SATA.

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Sure they are faster, but not fast enough for me to pay twice the price of a normal SATA drive. SSD's are not worth the money. In my opinion. Contrary to popular opinion. Normal SATA drives are very reliable. If you take good care of them.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I have mixed feelings for SSD mainly because of the price. Its pretty expensive. I was actually planning on getting one, an Intel 300 Series but backed out from the idea. But if you want to buy a SSD, then you have to consider your use for it. Yes SSD's are fast, but you're just going to use them for storage, then you're better off with a regular HDD, its cheaper and has twice the storage capacity. However, if your planning to use it for work, like a scratch disk for your software (After Effects, Audition, Photoshop etc.) then its probably worth the investment. SSD's can really speed up your computer when it comes to working with these soft wares. But really, it depends on your needs and your budget, if you have the money to spare, then go for it, but if you're in a tight budget, just save up for a better CPU or PC all together.