Solution for shedding?

Discussion in Pets started by classy_ally • Jun 16, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    My dog has very short hair, but she sheds a lot. When I take her to PetSmart it gets a little expensive to pay for that special shampoo. I'm trying to cut down on costs.

What is the best shampoo and grooming tools to cut down on the shedding?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    My labrador retriever sheds constantly. The only way we cut down on the hair is to regularly brush him. We use a zoom a groom, it picks up the hair just great and isn't that expensive.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think there's anything shampoo will do for the shedding issue. Yes, bathing them will obviously wash off loose fur at the time, but it's not going to prevent them from loosing more later. I think it's more important to simply bathe and brush them regularly to keep the hair from hitting the floor in the first place.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We got a Furminator to brush our basset hound. He sheds all year round and the Furminator works really well to get all the loose hair off of him. It gets down to the undercoat as well. I think that they might be a little more than other brushes but it does do a great job. We got lucky and got ours for free from a friend. He got it for his cat but the cat had died and he no longer needed it.

5. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    The Furminator pet brush is excellent, it does cost more than most pet brushes and/or shedding blades, but is well worth it! There are also sprays and creams on the market as well as are fish based vitamins that you apply to your pets skin, used alone they are not all that effective, brushing is still needed.
    Proper nutrition can help to keep skin and hair healthy which keeps the shedding cycle normalized, minimizing shedding. If heavy shedding is consistent throughout the year, the pet may have food sensitivity or a dust allergy.