Sore Throat

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Mar 27, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How basic can it get right? But the fact is that I have a sore throat and it's the 3rd or 4th day now and I am really not in the mood for more pills, so are there any home made medicines or teas I can take to help me? What do you usually take?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At the first sign of a sore throat, I usually take a Berocca for a few days. That usually bashes it over the head. Otherwise I crush a garlic clove, mix it with a huge helping (heaped teaspoon) of honey and If I catch whatever's trying to attack my system in time, it backs off. Get well soon :)

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Honey!!

Honey is incredible for sore throats...both for soothing them and for healing them. Just consume a teaspoon or so of it and feel the relief almost instantly. You can also add it to your tea if you don't like the taste of honey straight.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't found anything that would actually reliably hate me, so I just drink a lot of hot tea with honey and hope for the best. Even the "guaranteed" medicine for sore throat doesn't really help me most of the time.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What sort of sore throat is it? Is it from a cold or from something else? Sometimes, I smoke too much or take a particularly harsh drag on what I am smoking, and then from then I sort of develop a sore throat. It gets hard to swall any food. I have to do it really slowly? Herbal teas such as peppermint help to sooth it, and I try to get as much vitamin C in as possible.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gargling with warm salt water can help. Do that three times a day. The salt water reduces swelling in the throat and loosens mucus and making it easier to flush out irritants. You can add some honey to make the salt water taste better.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I am having a severe sore throat for almost one week now. I tried the honey, gargling with warm salt water and even those strepsils or fisherman's friend. They work fine at first but not for long. My sore throat keeps on coming back. I went to see a doctor, and she confirmed that it is a sore throat and not a lung related diseases. The doctor told me that I have a swollen and irritated throat and that is the reason of my cough. I was prescribed with antibiotics good for 3 days and a cough syrup. It worked and I felt like a huge chunk of burden has been taken down on me.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh right, I do this one too. It also helps kill off any bacteria that might be hanging out directly in the throat and it comes with somewhat of a natural numbing effect. This works well on mouth sores (like canker sores), too. It doesn't feel the greatest instantly and it tastes bad, but it feels so good afterward.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is leading to fever? Because in my case the sore throat only goes away when I already have a fever. Try taking Strepsils to relive the pain.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Drinking hot water can help a lot . There is nothing better than the natural remedy and is quite useful . I always use this method.

11. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    My mom is a naturalist, so I know a lot of natural remedies for sore throats that work wonders. Grapefruit seed extract is what we primarily use. If you take a couple drops of that three times a day in some orange juice (to help with the bitter flavor), it usually goes away in a couple of days. Elderberry juice and garlic are also helpful. Warm water with lemon juice and honey mixed in works wonders. You can also gargle with salt water a couple times a day to sooth the rawness, just be sure not to swallow it.

12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Honey tea is the best remedy I have found for a sore throat when my kids or I get one. I usually will make cup of black tea and then add a couple of teaspoons of honey to it. It makes the tea super sweet, but I drink it real fast and the sore throat seems to go away, at least for a while. As far as the kids are concerned, I usually just give them hot water and honey.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Drink hot lemon tea with honey and gargle with a borax mouth rinse made with 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon borax and six drops of peppermint or clove oil. The mouth rinse is better (to me) than any mouthwash available on the market and besides being fresh in taste it goes a long way towards healing any mouth sores one might have. Good for throats, too. I personally like peppermint oil, but others may prefer clove or even some other type of oil.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try some sage infusion. Get some fresh leaves if you can and steep them in hot water for 15-20 minutes and then gargle. Don't drink the tea after you gargled. You may also want to try dried leaves. One teaspoon of dried leaves per cup usually is enough. I hope you'll feel better soon.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m a fan of ginger tea with honey. Either I cut a ginger root into thin medallions, then boil it and drink the water with a squeeze of honey, or I mix some powdered ginger and honey into hot water. I’ve also tried gargling with warm salt water, and it does offer temporary relief, but I find ginger much more pleasant.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    There's some medicinal product that you could buy over the counter that you gargle and I've forgotten the brand but it's worked great for me in the past. It doesn't provide and instant cure but it helps with the discomfort and also speeds up healing. If you don't have access to it you could try using saltwater, I've tried it before and from what I remember I think it works well too.