Sourceforge Alternatives?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Aug 20, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to download a lot of open source software from Sourceforge but it appears that Sourceforge is kind of "dead" these days. Got really mad when I downloaded software and learned that I was supposed to compile the code into binary executable.

I don't intend to get any more software from the site.

Are there sites like Sourceforge where one can donwload open source software?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not go through individual developers' websites for open source programs? It takes a little more work, and it can get annoying at times, but it's always best to go directly to the source, if you ask me. Sourceforge used to be a decent site, but things have definitely gone downhill in the past few months. You're better off getting the software from the developers because they often list open source programs on their sites, and it's not too hard to search for them.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, Cnet has open source software, and it is safe and virus free. I also downloaded Open office from apache. I find that to be a great alternative to word. Word did not come on my computer with windows 8 and this is something that I use often. I was happy to find a great source for a free download.