Space travel

Discussion in Travel started by Theo • Nov 2, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seats are $250,000 each, if you could afford it would you go? Given that the test flight, Virgin Galactic crashed, it has set back the program, but has bookings for over 700 people it claims.

Is it a risk worth taking and is this for people with more money than sense or is a bargain? For some it maybe a dream come true, but is it worth it?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I can only hope that space travel would be way cheaper three or four decades from now. Maybe by then I could afford it. :p Yes, it would be a dream come true for me. But yeah, the recent crash of Virgin Galactic was really unfortunate and alarming.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    That's not stopping them from continuing with their trials, and I respect them a lot for it. With space travels seeming on a lower priority on the government's list, we have to turn to the private sector now if we ever want to see continued progress in space travel. While it may not even become reality in my lifetime I sincerely hope that mankind can someday reach to other stars and planets.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that space travel is only at a "beta" stage now, I won't consider risking my life for it. Sure, it will be an experience worth having. Sadly, if I am not around for an hour to live the experience, it will just be for nothing. Think about booking something like that. You haven't even reached a distance higher than what normal planes travel, and it crashes already. That's just a waste of money.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's definitely not worth it. Risk your life all for what? Even if I had the money, space travel definitely wouldn't be something I'd like to try. Maybe people think traveling in space would be a lot more fun? But what exactly do they expect to see? Planets? Landing on the moon maybe? IMO that money would be better spent on charity — Build another orphanage.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing that is truly interesting to me about space is the lack of gravity and I do believe I can go to different places and they can mimic the experience for a lot less than $250,000. While it may be somewhat fascinating, I would think I'd get bored rather quickly in that tight, confined shuttle and then, there is but so much you can do when actually there and that's even for professional astronauts. You can't go anywhere, but to space.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    For the moment no, I cannot afford such a large sum and I question the safety (in light of recent events). But I'm closely watching the evolution of Space X. They made a lot of progress towards reducing the costs of space transportation. There's still a way to go tho', for the moment they only do commercial flights. But Elon Musk has plenty of plans to send people in space, one even involves the 'colonization' of Mars (building habitable stations there).

And in closing, I'll leave you with this:

[video=youtube;KaOC9danxNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo[/video]

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I'm happy having my feet firmly attached to the ground. I don't need to waste that much money just to get a glimpse of space. Who knows, 10 years from now (and I won't even be 40 yet), there would already be a regular space transportation and it will cost but a fraction or iota of the price they charge us today. Who knows, I'd find a UFO too and get a free ride to the exosphere.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not captivated by space travel either, what would I do up there? If I could afford it, I think I would spend the money improving my life in other aspects and not spending it in such an eccentricity as space travel.

10. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I could, but I don't have the money though. Maybe I will start saving for it.. and by that time, Virgin Atlantic would have perfected the space ship and Space travelling would be considered safe. And one more thing, maybe by that time (if we are still alive) many other companies would be able to provide competition with the Virgin Atlantic and the fare would be cheap.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think those that think it's just a bunch of non gravity and blackness are not seeing the bigger picture. But I guess I shouldn't expect everyone to see it the same way. If I could, I would. It would be a life changing event for sure. I can already imagine our "smallness" (though I can't even begin to lol), but to be out there and see how truly small and vulnerable we are.. how amazing we really are and how amazing this vast space is that we're suspended from nothing in? I think everyone would change their tune and come back a different person. Even those of us who already feel these things.. experiencing it would be beyond anything we could ever imagine.