Specialty Tea

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Oct 27, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you like a certain type of tea? How do you save money on it? I love Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice tea. It is a little hard to find in this area. I usually have to go to a larger area to find the tea. It is a bit expensive...at about 2.49 per box. I could probably make my own similar brew of tea, with cinnamon sticks and spices.. but I don't know if I could get the formula right. I think I will look on Amazon for this tea..maybe it will less expensive there in a larger quantity. Do you like specialty tea blends?

2. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many recipes for teas out there, I bet you can google the exact term and find different variations. Just try them out, you may like one better than the store bought and then you just make it in bulk. That way you will save on it. I personally prefer to make my own at this point because there are so many variations of recipes for tea available online now. It's fun and kind of makes it a zen experience.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been brewing my own iced tea for several years now, and saving a good of money in the process when compared to all the money I was spending on buying cases/bottles of soda all the time. One box of iced tea bags costs around $2 and makes several gallons worth of ice tea. That's a huge savings over the equivalent amount of many other commercially purchased beverages. Even pre-brewed iced tea is really over priced when compared to making it yourself at home. It cost almost twice the amount for a single gallon of pre made tea as it does to buy a box of tea bags and brew it yourself, which will make several gallons of tea.

The flavored specialty tea bags though, as you've noted, are quite a bit more expensive. I love Celestial Seasonings "Red Zinger" blend, but at $4 or so per box, it's not really cost effective at all. You can certainly make a blend of your own for much cheaper once you find a good recipe to do so.

Your local health food stores, as well as some other specialty ethnic stores, will likely offer the basic spices/ingredients needed in bulk for really good prices.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a tea afficionado and either drink PG Tips or Twinings Camomile. Neither of these are the cheapest brand available but I just don't enjoy other brands as much. I tend to bulk buy whenever one of the supermarkets is doing an offer as they always get used.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like Typhoo orange pekoe tea. A large box sells for around $8. I usually wait until they go on sale to about half that price and stock up. I also love Starbucks tea, it's a TAZO Joy, available only at Christmas time. It's quite expensive about $10 for 12 tea bags. If you go after Christmas I can sometimes get it on sale and buy a bunch of them. I find cheap tea not worth the money so I'll spend a little more to have a nice cup of tea. I've heard that loose tea is also better quality tea.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love tea, but it has to be regular tea like PG tips, Typhoo or Five Roses. I can even do some Earl Grey, and sometimes RedBush (Rooibos). I don't really like any of the fancy tea out there. The most adventurous i'll go is RedBush LOL