Spending Less On Fertilizers

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Mar 21, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fertilizers can be quite costly but their importance [obviously] can't be debated. So since you can't do without them, how do you save some cash but still get a good yield?

You can use your own organic manure. Use grass clippings as mulch. As they decompose they'll be a great source of nitrogen. If you don't mind grossness, you can use human urine as a nitrogen source.

"As urine isn’t merely rich in nitrogen, but also phosphorous and potassium, it replenishes soil that has had its minerals depleted by over-farming."

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Great Idea. Actually in our garden instead of using fertilizers we are using chicken and cattle manure as a way to enriched the soil and it is quite effective our plants grows healthier. In my community the process known as vermicomposting becomes popular this days. It is a process of adding special worms to decompost food craps and other leftovers and are used to fertilize the soil for gardening.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    When you say 'get a good yield', hopefully you mean a good yield of grass, or flowers, but surely not food. Urine in a garden? A garden that produces food? I can't. I just CAN'T. Ugh! Where do I start?!
    First of all, I usually like and enjoying reading lifehack, but they have gone too far this time. Just too far. Second of all, all urine is not created equal, that's for sure.

Since they say to dilute it with water, I suppose it's not too bad if the urine is to be used on non-food items, such as grass, weeds, etc. But if we are talking about putting it in the same soil where vegetables and fruits are grown, I'd have to draw the line there.

4. Denis Hard

Threads:
    If that was bad then you certainly don't want to know what North Koreans use as fertilizer.

It's better though to compost your own manure using kitchen waste, leftovers, grass clippings, etc.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Waito_Oo_O. Did you just say compost your own manure?:confused:

Am I understanding this correctly? Surely I'm not understanding this correctly.
    Surely there has to be some mistake.
    There just has to be.

I can't even... I just can't.
    Where... how does one:eek:??...

You know what? I give up.

6. Denis Hard

Threads:
    The wording made it sound different. I should have said make your own compost. But now that you mention it . . .

Have you heard of composting toilets?

"A composting toilet is a miniature ecosystem designed to recycle human excrement safely by containing it while microorganisms convert it to humus."

It's not that bad, is it? What you get at the end of the process is humus which contains lots of nutrients for your plants. The only problem is composting toilets are somewhat pricey.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Umm, did you just say, "It's not that bad, is it?"
    Surely that's what you just 'said'.

The fact that you even have to ask someone that question, my dear Denis Hard, let's you know that something is amiss.

I mean, if I handed you a nice, green salad, with ripe tomatoes, croutons, cucumbers, the works, with a nice steak, complete with a tall glass of your favorite beverage, I would not hand it to you and follow that with "It's not that bad, is it?" Why, because I know it's not bad at all, it's great!!

"It's not that bad, is it?", is something you say when you know something is bad.

So, therefore Denis Hard, my answer would have to be yes (!!!!!), it's that bad.
    As a matter of fact, it's more than that bad.
    It's so bad, I can't even explain how bad it is, and I'm never at a loss for words, lol!

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, it's not that bad when you think about it...I bet millions of vegetable patches over the years have been pooped on by cats and we all know that they like to bury it. I think we might eat a lot more poop than we realize!

I imagine that the humus produced from such a set-up would be extremely rich in nutrients but I think I'd stick to growing ornamental plants in it, not food!