Spending Money On Online Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Radix24 • Feb 15, 2015.

1. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    There is news that the local server for Ragnarok (an MMO) is closing this March 31. A while back, Grand Chase did the same. I have not spent money on Ragnarok, but I did so on Grand Chase...not that much, but it was something. With the servers closing, I do not now any way to recoup my money that I have spent on those games long before.

Anyone knows a way or people have to classify them as lost.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Any money that you sink into an online game is no longer yours, as all your virtual items are classified as property of the game developer. There is no way to ask for your money to be refunded, unless in the rare case that it was a beta game. (in the instance of Transformers Universe the MMO graciously returned the money to its beta players before shutting down)

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Squigly, once you spent money on a game you have lost it, if the game goes under. I have never spent money on games online for that reason. I do play them occasionally but only on free to play games.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this might also apply to money lost in your case, but

shows that how it's possible that you might get repaid one day.

(But I think you would need a) records showing that the money you're losing is 'being stolen' (although I think there's something in 'that agreement most people sign without really reading' that says that what you gave is no longer yours) and/or b) enough people to put their funds together to PAY for the legal services surrounding such a lawsuit.)

5. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I thought the same. I do not expect to recoup the money as well, but I can see some people who spends so much money to pay to win...and that they can no longer get back the money they spent. Virtual items indeed... I just briefly thought there will be a way to get them back.. hmm~

I see. Point b is an interesting point. Though, I am unsure if people will actually band to pay for a lawsuit. I will check the news on the server closing if there will be people who will do so.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear about your loss, it's sad when these things happen, so I guess people should just avoid spending money on online games to prevent financial loss over something intangible.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all see that there is some sort of risk if you invest money to purchase something for a game that is purely online. If the server closes down or if the devs no longer support the game, your money would go down the drain and there is no way of refunding your cash (unless the devs say so). I have spent some cash on online games but fortunately I haven't experienced such things.

8. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's an investment in a way although there is no sure outcome that is feasible. Any money you spent on online games is pretty much gone once you hit the transaction since it's not like a tangible product you can return or ask for a refund.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Money can be reacquired, your time wasted on attempting to get your money back is lost forever. Choose your battles wisely is all I can say regarding your question Radix24. I personally have never spent a penny on online games beyond purchasing the vanilla games. I don't understand how people are willing to spend hundreds to thousands in money to purchase upgrades or things in a online video game, but best of luck to you Radix24.

10. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    If you have agreed that this company can take your money, there is no way of going back. The only way to get some of your money back is by selling the items you bought online. For example, I bought some keys on the game Team Fortress 2. Using these keys, I was able to make profit and then sell them for real life currency.

I suggest you look into the market of that game. If you are able to make a profit, then go ahead. However, just be weary of your next purchase online. You may end up regretting it.

11. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Like others have said, paying for stuff online is a sure way to kiss you money good-bye. I strongly dislike the fact that buying into a game which requires you to be connected online, because eventually, (sooner or later) that game will lose its support and will be gone forever. Old school physical disks for me!

12. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I think you have to factor that as the cost of the game and move on. If you have enjoyed playing the game then that is all that should matter. Assume that you originally had to pay the money that you lost (thus adding to the whole cost of the game). I know it is lame, but it is how I stop myself from getting irritated when I get swindled and call it cost of education.

13. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I am always tempted to spend money on online games.. but every time I am about to type in my password (for itune), I always press CANCEL. I think the game records my attempt to purchase and tease me more within the game by reducing the amount of gold and elixir I farm from my town.. I am playing clash of clans. hehehe

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I know that there are a lot of people who spend money on games in this way, but the only advice that I would give is that you should never spend money that you couldn't afford to lose - because you have to be prepared for the fact that this is something that could happen. If you put your savings into it and then lose them, then you may be in trouble when you realise that all of your money has gone. Always be aware of the dangers, because nothing is certain, and there is always going to be the chance that you could lose the money that you put into things rather than making anything on it.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't consider that a loss. :S

Yes, I understand that you put money into it and now you won't be able to play it any more. The money you spent before was based on your enjoyment level at the time, though. You enjoyed the game and you paid your price for it.

I don't go to the movies, pay for the ticket, and when it's over, ask how I'm going to recoup that money because now I'm not watching the movie any more, ya know?

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, you had to know that you're buying virtual items that you don't own, right? I mean, you don't even own the games you buy, yet alone items in that game.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    By that logic, you don't "own" anything! I mean, you can't take it with you when you go; right? (here actually talking about 'real estate'---when you move to a new place, you can't pick up the old place & bring it with you!)

18. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not logic, it's laws. Try reading what you agree to next time you buy something like that.

19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Why?? Is there any chance of negotiating the terms if you don't agree to all of them?

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uh, because that's what you agree to in the terms of service? You are not buying the game, you're renting it for an amount of time specified by the terms. If you don't like it you just have to.. not use the service, I guess.