Spending Too Much Money On Shampoo?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Jul 20, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of ways one can save money on shampoo:

- Use less of it.
    Using less shampoo to wash your hair it has been proven preserves hair color and well, obviously, it will save you some time, rinsing it off, the water you'd use, some energy since less [electricity] will be consumed to heat up water.

- wash your hair twice or once a week.
    same benefits as above but you save more. May not appeal to many people though.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I already do this, Denis. Because of my hair type, I can't wash it every single day like some of my white friends do. My scalp is naturally dry, and my hair would get drier and more brittle, leading to breakage if I washed it every day. So I can only wash once a week. I try to use gentle shampoo that contains no silicones, no sulphates, no parabens and any other harsh chemicals, and even then I don't use a lot of it. I then pile on the conditioner to give my hair as much moisture as possible. Black hair is hard work!

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    In the past, I washed my hair every day, but now I make sure that I only do it once per day, and only use the smallest amount of shampoo that I can possibly get away with. This makes it a lot easier for me to save money, as I have noticed that I don't need to buy myself new shampoo anywhere near as often, which is obviously a great thing.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually don't spend all that much money on shampoo products, conditioner products, or any other type of hair products for that matter. I don't have to wash my hair as often as most other people, and so this allows me to make my hair care product purchases last for quite a long time, before I have to buy them again. I have a few expenses in my life. Hair products are not one of them.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Shampoo is definitely one thing I don’t overspend on or overuse, haha. Still working on a couple of bottles from last year and there’s quite a bit to go in the larger one. But yeah, even when I had waist-length hair I tried not to use too much shampoo, because using it in excess is not only unnecessary, it can be bad for the hair. Not to mention, it would take far too long to rinse out. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have learned a long time ago that spending money on shampoo is not smart... at least in my case. I guess some people have a harder time with their hair being brassy, too oily or too dry and need more care - having more costs. But I'm quite lucky with my hair and need to spend very little to keep it looking healthy. I will get them at drugstores/supermarkets and will get good quality brands, usually when they are on sale.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a lot more money on shampoo and especially conditioners, than I do now. I pretty much buy Suave shampoo, use the conditioner that comes with my hair color (which I do at home), and then I'll use a little bit of Aussie leave in conditioner after it dries a little. I used to wash my hair every day, mainly because I smoked, and was around smokers more, and couldn't stand the smell of smoke on my hair. Since I quit smoking several years back, I have cut back to washing my hair every other day. I haven't noticed a huge improvement in the condition of my hair since I've been washing it less, but that could be because I'm using less expensive products, and have harder water at this house.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that excessive use of shampoo is not good for the hair. In fact, we were taught in school that we should only shampoo our hair once at a day at the most. But with the herbal shampoo, it says that you can use that herbal shampoo even 10 times a day - just to emphasize that it is harmless. For me, I have a black soap in lieu of shampoo, that black soap is also a hair grower.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash 2-3 times a week using a cheap shampoo. The only thing I wasn t a shampoo to do is clean my hair. After all, it is rinsed off straight away so isn't even on the hair long enough to have any benefit. I spend a little bit more on conditioner though and generally leave it on for around an hour.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have given up on shampoos, even natural ones, as they have started to give me an itchy scalp. Also my hair feels damaged from ordinary shampoo. It has become brittle and dry. The common thing to do would be to buy conditioner to try and balance it out. And I am sure plenty do take that road. But I've started washing my hair with a mixture of baking soda and water. I then rinse it with a diluted vinegar. After my hair has dried naturally, I apply a mixture of castor oil and coconut oil to my hair to protect it from the harsh sun here and to encourage it to get thicker again.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not look at the cost of shampoo as much as I look at how it leaves my hair when I wash it. Some shampoos are too drying and will leave my hair and scalp dry and brittle, causing my hair to break off. If I have a good shampoo that leaves my hair and scalp in a healthy condition I will use less when I shampoo which is usually twice a week. I sweat in my head and must wash my hair to keep it from smelling at least once a week.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I shampoo my hair at least every other day. I sweat a lot so it is a must for me to shampoo. I find that my hair has been growing healthier this way and my split ends has been gone too! Before, I shampoo my hair twice a day! Bad for the hair I know, but I used to commute to school and the smoke and grime I deal with is just gross. I have to shampoo twice a day to remove them. Now, I mostly stay at home or ride a cab or ride the car. So I do not get exposed to so much pollution.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the bottle is not that full, you can also dilute the shampoo a bit by pouring water into it so that it will last longer. I know there are some products like Ivory that are supposed to be gentle on the hair, so that can help people with dry hair.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately cutting back on the number of times I wash my hair in order to save money on shampoo is not something that I have to worry about doing - particularly as - even though I generally wash my hair every day in the summer and every alternate day in the winter - as my favorite shampoo is extremely inexpensive and so thick that when watered down is the equivalent of having three bottles of quality shampoo and because of that it means that I only buy 3 bottles of shampoo a year which amounts to 9 bottles after being watered down - I think I'm doing pretty well cost wise - particularly as - that works out at just under $5 a year on shampoo - without having to make any sacrifices.

15. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I tend to be very heavy handed when it comes to shampoo and condition. I find that the most of the shampoo doesn't matter nearly as much as how it works with my hair. If a $1 shampoo can clean my hair and leave it soft and moisturized as well as a $10 shampoo can, I'd be happy to switch. Now for me, I'm using sheamoisture shampoo on my hair and it seems to be working pretty well. Even with my over application, I find that the bottle has lasted well over 3 months of me washing my hair and is no where near being close to finished.