Spotify Or Itunes?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Takeshi Fujimoto • Jul 1, 2015.

1. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    Like most people on the internet, my usual way of getting the latest songs and albums has always been less-than-legal (torrents, youtube streaming, etc.) But recently, I've been considering making the change towards actually paying for music. For those of you who are already paying for music online; what would you suggest? We all know about streaming services like Spotify that charge a monthly fee to access a whole library of music, and then there's places like iTunes where you can purchase singles and albums individually. What would you suggest? Do you use either of these services already? Which one would save me more money in the long run? Cheers! :)

2. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    I would personally have to say itunes. My reasoning behind Itunes over spotify is that you actually own the digital copy of the mp3 when you purchase on itunes, where as with spotify the file stays on the service (if I'm wrong about that then I'm sorry.) Anyways, I would say just from personal preference I'd like to own the mp3 and store them all on an external hard drive so I feel like I can do more with them. When you download from itunes you get a high quality mp3 that will sound better on nice speakers/headphones opposed to sites where it's all streaming. That's my two cents and I would say just take into account with what you're doing with the music before deciding on one service over another.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you want to do with the music. Spotify is great for streaming a lot of music and getting to find new music that you like without having to pay specifically to listen to that track, whereas from what I understand about iTunes you have to pay for that. If you want to discover new music more than listen to the music you already know, I'd recommend Spotify to do that, then purchasing the music on iTunes that you know you like to have as a more permanent collection.

4. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah you're pretty much right on that one. Spotify does have an option where you can set a song to be "view-able offline" but its not the same as owning the mp3 as you would still need spotify to play the song. I personally love hoarding a whole bunch of mp3s and yeah what you said about having a "permanent collection" is also a big reason why I'd prefer itunes.

Hi cocolgooh, thanks for your feedback. Yes I agree with you, it would be more practical to have a whole library of music to stream (spotify) and then when there's a song or album that I really like, I'll just download it on itunes. Thanks for your thoughts :)

#4Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I just updated my iOS and got a free trial of Apple Music. I kind of like Apple Music because they have more selections than Spotify. A lot of artists are pulling out of Spotify I think. Anyway, Apple Music doesn't have that many advertisements, too.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that's been useful to you! I know I'd find it frustrating having to pay for songs I don't like so getting to listen to them using Spotify first just seems like the way to do it for me! Good luck with deciding what you'll use! :)

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm subscribed with Spotify although I have to admit I don't have experience with iTunes so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I am pleased with their service, however, and the fee is relatively cheap so I don't feel too guilty about spending a bit of expense for music. I also like that it has a lot of features like being able to checkout my friends' playlists and getting recommendations off of those. All in all I think the small fee is worth it for unlimited music selection.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    The new apple music is the best music app ever! I mean seriously, i was so loyal to Spotify before but once apple music came out, I'm just suddenly so done with Spotify (sorry Spotify, it's been real, but i have to move on.) Apple Music has so much to choose from it's overwhelming. I love the 3 month free period. :)

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a bad idea to compare iTunes and Spotify, considering they're completely different services. Apple Music is the real competition and comparable service to Spotify. For now, Spotify is the better option because Apple Music is suffering from some newbie issues and hasn't quite found its groove yet. Then again, Spotify has that nasty reputation for barely paying its artists. If you're focusing on nothing more than the music, then Spotify is the winner for the time being. That could change soon.

10. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I would choose iTunes only because iTunes is so much more popular these days. You never hear people talk about Spotify. When buying music I only hear people talk about iTunes. So since Spotify does not seem that popular, I prefer iTunes.But for the most part I do not really buy music, because it is so easy to get music free these days.