Spotting Fakes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by AceOfHype • Jul 10, 2012.

1. AceOfHype

AceOfHypeNew Member

Threads:
    I'm into a lot of fashion, and unfortunately most of that is designer brand.

But it perplexes me how many illegitimate websites there are, for example a simple search of Burberry gave me so much results for websites offering what they call a genuine Burberry bag for around $30.

So basically I'm wondering if any of you have fallen for any of this websites by accident, or what your basic opinion on these sites are.

Thanks

2. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased a few fakes on eBay, but in these cases I knew they were fakes when I bought them...the price dictates what you are getting when the auction or sale is over. If you are buying the real thing, you won't be paying less than half of what it retails for.

3. AceOfHype

AceOfHypeNew Member

Threads:
    I see, thanks for the reply.

Although I'm sure there are few people that get tricked quite easily, and believe the somewhat too good to be true, is in fact true. Haha.

Also just wondering, how are the actually quality of the fake products?

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Fakes are pretty rampant where I live, haha, especially since there are a lot of Chinese here. They're usually the ones who manufacture the fakes (no offense to the Chinese... hey, I'm part Chinese, too). That said, fakes are somewhat easy to spot in my opinion, though that's only if you've actually held the genuine articles. For you OP, I think you'd know right away if you were given a fake, even by not looking at the price.

5. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of fake designer handbags I bought while on holiday on Turkey. One is Luis Vuitton and the other is Dolce and Gabbana, both are exceptionally good
    fakes. I would never in my life be able to justify paying the amount a real one of these bags goes for - so I have to make do with a pretend one!! :) That said, I don't agree with the individuals who try and hoodwink people by convincing them the fakes are genuine.

6. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    Very well said. I guess it's the cost difference that could really help us to spot the original from the fake. It would also be nice if someone could help with some checkpoints that we must take care of while buying things.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Not fallen for it yet. If I want a Burberry bag and can afford one, I'd walk into one the Burberry registered retail outlets. I suspect that those sites selling fakes expect the buyer to know that (s)he is buying a fake, hence the ridiculously low prices!

If you go to the ebay community section, there are several articles on How to Spot a Fake for products ranging from Tiffany jewelry to Dior handbags. You can also visit the online retailer of the high-end brand that you are looking for and find out the actual retail price to get an idea of how much it costs, and how it looks; then compare this with what you see on those sites selling fakes.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    You get what you pay for. Simple as that. All original products are sold at similar prices in stores unless they're in sale or you have a discount. If they're way too cheap or even 20%-30% cheaper, it's most likely a good replica or a cheap knockoff.